Sad news

For "miscellaneous" finch-related questions.
ViperX
Pip
Pip

Sad news

Post by ViperX » Sat Sep 23, 2006 12:50 pm

Some how my cats go through my bedroom door and knocked down my nest of 4 baby finches. They had two of them. two are still barley moving. Then they also killed a society finch that i got yesturday. I am so torn up about the matter. I know need to find a even better way to secure the room. http://personalitiez.com/gallery/deadfinches/ could be gross to some
Last edited by ViperX on Sun Sep 24, 2006 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zookeeper
Flirty Bird
Flirty Bird

Post by zookeeper » Sat Sep 23, 2006 8:43 pm

I never want to have an experience like that -- that's one of many reasons I don't have cats. I know I'll forget to close a door sooner or later.

You must feel really rotten right now, but try to see it as a learning experience. I hope you figure out how the cats got through and you can thwart future attempts.

tammieb
Brooding
Brooding

Post by tammieb » Sat Sep 23, 2006 9:50 pm

Yuck, those photos were horrible. You should post a warning.

I have one cat, until recently had two. Neither ever showed much interest in the birds. But when I replaced the solid door to the bird room with a screen door, I made certain the door would never be left open by installing a high tension spring. AND I have a latch out of reach of children and any critters that might harm the birds.
TammieB.

Use the talents you possess - for the woods would be a very silent place if no birds sang except for the best. ~Henry Van Dyke~

tina
Mature
Mature

Post by tina » Tue Sep 26, 2006 9:20 am

I got my cat a new home because I did not want to lose any birds to her. She showed way too much interest in them.
Thank you,
Tina

PhilipE
Pip
Pip

Post by PhilipE » Fri Sep 29, 2006 6:14 pm

Sorry to here about your loss. I've never been a fan of cats and I have a dog now who keeps close guard on my terrace. He knows exactly what the word "cat" means and he goes crazy when I say it. He's not sure to do when he gets up close to them- he knows they can do damage to him too- he learned that one day when he stuck his snout in a bush and woke a sleeping cat but they know very well that the terrace is his. When we moved in, we found that two cats used to sleep their siesta there but they weren't long moving on. If you don't have a cat-hating dog, you do need to take measures to secure your birds. It's such a pity as they are so defenceless in their cages. Another thing you might have to watch out for if they are in cages outdoors is the hawks or falcons. I know of lots of people here in the south of Spain who have lost their pets to this bird of prey. I think my dog provides some security here but i can't be sure. I'm in the process of building a birdroom- only then will I feel safe...
You don't show the birds the book...