Male is courting another male

For "miscellaneous" finch-related questions.
LauraBird
Nestling
Nestling

Male is courting another male

Post by LauraBird » Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:45 am

Hi,

I brought home 4 new finches the other day. Long story short, one of the males started courting another male. The second male is a silver, so I don't know if that is confusing for him, but this morning I saw them both courting each other! The first is a white chested yellow back yellow head, so maybe that has confused the silver! Anything I can do to...I don't know, let them know that they aren't being productive if they want chicks? Does this sometimes happen? I am higher in males than females (thought the silver was a female myself!) and will get more females....will that help?

Thanks!
Laura

We have 2 kids, 2 dogs, a 75 gallon fishtank, 4 mice, 2 Society Finches, and 12 Gouldian finches - BHPBGB male, 2 BHPBGB black headed females (one is their chick), RHPBGB male, 2 RHPBGB females (one a "dirty" redhead), YHPBGB male, YHPBGB female, YHWBYB male, SHWBBB male, SHWBSB (silver) male, and SHWBSB (silver) female.

debbie276
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Re: Male is courting another male

Post by debbie276 » Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:44 am

They may sing to each other, it's not that rare. If you can post pictures maybe we can help sex them for you.
Debbie
long time breeder of lady gouldians:
Green
SF Pastel (SF Yellow)
Pastel (Yellow)
Blue
SF Pastel Blue (SF Yellow Blue)
Pastel Blue (Yellow Blue)

GREAT articles on avian lighting:
https://mickaboo.org/confluence/downloa ... ummary.pdf
http://www.naturallighting.com/cart/sto ... sc_page=56

lnlovesorange
4 Eggs Laid
4 Eggs Laid

Post by lnlovesorange » Tue Jun 23, 2015 2:57 pm

LauraBird If it makes you feel any better, I have 3 male gouldians that are all brothers and have had them since the beginning of April and the other day one of the brothers started doing the "mating" dance to his brother! The dance they usually do to court a female to get her to pick him as her mate, he did it right there in front of me and was looking at his brother while he was jumping up and down!!!
I also have two brother Zebra finches that formed a REALLY tight bond with each other they preen each other and sleep together, and they get PO'ed if another finch tries to come anywhere near either one of them, even if it's a girl!!!! So, birds i think find thier own way depending on their circumstance.... they just want to be happy, whatever that involves ya know?

LauraBird
Nestling
Nestling

Post by LauraBird » Tue Jun 23, 2015 3:19 pm

Thanks! That is so cute! These are my first birds and I am enjoying their individual personalities so much!
Laura

We have 2 kids, 2 dogs, a 75 gallon fishtank, 4 mice, 2 Society Finches, and 12 Gouldian finches - BHPBGB male, 2 BHPBGB black headed females (one is their chick), RHPBGB male, 2 RHPBGB females (one a "dirty" redhead), YHPBGB male, YHPBGB female, YHWBYB male, SHWBBB male, SHWBSB (silver) male, and SHWBSB (silver) female.

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Tue Jun 23, 2015 3:40 pm

LauraBird

Not at all unusual, Laura.

Males will sing and dance to other males, and that goes for different species as well, not just Gouldians.

Sometimes, they are just practicing. Other times, they form very close relationships, (this goes for females as well) and become bonded pairs, that are not interested in other birds (male or female) at all. Some males, will even mount and attempt to mate with their partners.

Elana
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

magna_elite
Pip
Pip

Post by magna_elite » Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:25 pm

I've got a couple of gay finches too, I thought it was a bit of a laugh at first and but then I realised each of these two boys who tried to mate with each other also have female companions with chicks!! Sneaking off for a bit of dirty fun with the boys I see...

Another male I've got had a daughter and I spotted him mating with his daughter, then with the mother of his daughter. Now the two females are building a nest each. Not sure how that's gonna turn out!

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Sat Aug 01, 2015 4:05 am

magna_elite

Not a good idea usually to allow parent/offspring or sibling/sibling breeding. In breeding can cause all sorts of problems down the road, especially if it's allowed to continue for several generations.

Elana
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Leo519
Flirty Bird
Flirty Bird

Post by Leo519 » Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:07 pm

LauraBird

I've been a serious finch enthusiast only since the beginning of this year, and a couple months ago I saw two of my male Gouldians doing the courtship dance to each other. I didn't realize it's not uncommon for males to do that with each other and thought it was just the funniest thing!
Here's one of their "episodes" I was able to put on video :wink: :

https://youtu.be/rwoQqlQittI
Laura

Society, Spice, and Owl finches, Gouldians
Red Cheeked Cordon Bleus, Senegal Fire finches
American Singer canary