spice and society mating?

For "miscellaneous" finch-related questions.
Kelly
Perfect Partner
Perfect Partner

spice and society mating?

Post by Kelly » Tue Oct 13, 2015 12:05 pm

Hi all~

Just wondering if a spice and society finch would mate? They were together when I got them and I know for sure the society is a female but not sure about the spice. I just don't want to cross breed them. I have no nest in the quarantine cage so if I did find eggs I would toss them but when they finally go in the aviary do I need to worry?

Thanks
K℮ɭɭϒ

Never be guilty of sacrificing any portion of truth on the altar of of peace~ JC Ryle

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: spice and society mating?

Post by Sally » Tue Oct 13, 2015 12:10 pm

They are somewhat related, Spice finches are Lonchura punctulata, while Societies are Lunchura striata domestica, so I would imagine they could produce hybrids, perhaps even fertile hybrids.
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

Sheather
Proven
Proven

Re: spice and society mating?

Post by Sheather » Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:36 pm

Spice and society finches are extremely closely related, they mesh very well into the same flock and speak the same language, so to speak. I found they would mate with one another freely, with male spice finches being particularly attracted to society ladies. The females were generally not that into spice males, but the spice finches didn't care and they were a bit of a bunch of society rapists some of the time... nobody got hurt of course, but I'm sure if I wasn't tossing eggs at the time I had everyone together, I'd have had a few hybrids come out of those nests.

Conversely, the male societies never expressed interest in the female spices.
~Dylan

~~~