Do Cuban finch males sing?

For "miscellaneous" finch-related questions.
solo_birdlover
Flirty Bird
Flirty Bird

Do Cuban finch males sing?

Post by solo_birdlover » Thu Oct 08, 2015 12:51 am

Hi.
I have a female Cuban and I like the color but I'm not sure if I should keep it and get a male or sell it. I like finches that sing and I'm wondering if the males have a nice song. They're called "melodious" but I've watched a few youtube clips and didn't see much of singing. Anyone has them?

Thanks.

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: Do Cuban finch males sing?

Post by lovezebs » Thu Oct 08, 2015 1:11 am

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&source=w ... lPsD0Pi5DQ

@solo_birdlover

Yes, they do sing, but not like a Canary, or a Green Singer if that's what your looking for.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

solo_birdlover
Flirty Bird
Flirty Bird

Post by solo_birdlover » Thu Oct 08, 2015 4:49 pm

Thanks for the reply, lovezebs. I saw that video yesterday and looked at the few other ones on youtube but like I said they don't show much singing. I was thinking because of the "melodious" name it would be something like a Cordon Bleu at least. Not much of a singer. lol.

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Mon Oct 12, 2015 6:07 pm

solo_birdlover

Have you considered a Green or Grey Singer?
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

monotwine
Proven
Proven

Post by monotwine » Tue Oct 13, 2015 1:44 am

Cubans have a beautiful song, just quietly. The only problem breeding with them is they usual kill other males / their male offspring, so you have to be prepared to separate pair and young quickly as they colour up and possibly keep young males separately too.
Not all are that aggressive though. You just have to be prepared in case.
Also the females can be as aggressive as males. My old one legged hen killed a very young hen so she could have its cock bird. This was in a massive planted aviary. SHE WANTED THE STUD MAN! Didn't matter if the old granny couldn't breed any more.

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Wed Oct 14, 2015 1:07 am

monotwine

Holy Crow Monique, and I thought Zebras were bad. I had no idea that they were this aggressive and violent. Well, now I know what not to get, ever! :-S :-S :-S
~Elana~

monotwine
Proven
Proven

Post by monotwine » Wed Oct 14, 2015 1:48 am

lovezebs some breeders have had great luck with docile strain that will live with their own offspring, but bring in a new pair? trouble.
Its the one reason I never kept them as I only have two aviary to shuffle birds between and don't want to be forced to keep multiple cages. If you have a setup where you have many cages and can pop a cuban in with other finches then you sorted. They are peaceful with other species. Only their own make them see red - though a very aggressive Cuban will have issues with any predominantly yellow bird.

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Wed Oct 14, 2015 1:54 am

monotwine

Not planning on getting any of these birds. I was just amazed to hear just how aggressive they really are.
So if they see another cuban in nature, they set off to kill it? :shock: I hope they live in huge territories in the wild, so that they don't have to run into each other very often.
~Elana~

monotwine
Proven
Proven

Post by monotwine » Wed Oct 14, 2015 2:20 am

In the wild I'm sure they have territories and probably their beautiful songs let others know where their boundaries are. Much like Robins. If two fight it out they could possibly end in gruesome pic, but probably less so than in captivity.
Its only when we keep them contained that there is are major issues.