reasons for feather loss

For "miscellaneous" finch-related questions.
Happybird
Pip
Pip

reasons for feather loss

Post by Happybird » Sat Oct 24, 2015 1:35 pm

Other than mites or self plucking.......what other reasons would there be for tail feather loss in Society Finches? (Not mine. There are three of them in the cage.)

Thank you in advance for responding.

Smurf
Sisal Slave
Sisal Slave

Re: reasons for feather loss

Post by Smurf » Sat Oct 24, 2015 10:19 pm

I had a clutch of 6 societies fledge with tails a few months ago and within days of fledging they all lost their tail feathers but parents still retained tails, the lost feathers were at bottom of cage so not used for nest building, like you i've no idea why it happened but the tails did regrow.
Padraic

cindy
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Post by cindy » Sat Oct 24, 2015 10:35 pm

It sounds like your parent birds are plucking the young. How old are the young and are the parents wanting to nest again?

Zebra, Gouldians, Java, CBM Shaft tail & Grasskeets

~ My Facebook groups ~

*Finchaholics ~ finches, hookbills, softbills & canaries are welcome here!
discussions regarding species, housing, breeding, preventatives, treatments

*Birdaholics ~ Avian Classified Ads Only

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Sun Oct 25, 2015 12:11 am

Happybird

Societie finches, drop their tails very easily.

At one time I had a Socie escapee, who flew right by me. I made a grab for her, and ended up with a handful of tail feathers, while the bird flew off tail-less. Almost gave me a heart attack.

In a few weeks though, her tail grew back, as pretty as ever.

I suppose it can be due to plucking, or stress, or a cage that is way too small for three birds. It could also be due to a diet that is lacking in important nutrients.

Suggest to your friend, to offer hard boiled eggs for protein (very important for feather growth). A variety of greens, good quality finch seed mix, and a drop or two of multi vitamins twice a week. Also a mineral block and cuttle bone.

Good luck, and keep us updated.

Check on cage size as well. Three Socies should be housed in a cage 'at least' 18×18×30 inches in length. Also, if the cage is in a very high traffic area, this could be causing stress to the birds.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Happybird
Pip
Pip

Post by Happybird » Sun Oct 25, 2015 9:23 am

BTW, these are not my birds I'm asking about. I saw them at the store where I purchase my bird seed. I feel terrible for them but I don't want to introduce unknowns in to my flock and wouldn't purchase from a pet store anyway. Thanks all for the input.

cindy
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Post by cindy » Sun Oct 25, 2015 7:19 pm

did you happen to notice what they used to put seed and food in was it a seed cup or dish... sometimes if the birds are really hungry and someone is in the way the one blocked will tug a tail feather, sometimes even plucking the tail to get the one at the cup out of the way so he can step up to eat.

Zebra, Gouldians, Java, CBM Shaft tail & Grasskeets

~ My Facebook groups ~

*Finchaholics ~ finches, hookbills, softbills & canaries are welcome here!
discussions regarding species, housing, breeding, preventatives, treatments

*Birdaholics ~ Avian Classified Ads Only