How many days can gouldians stay in travel cage?

For "miscellaneous" finch-related questions.
Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: How many days can gouldians stay in travel cage?

Post by Sally » Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:43 am

cindy Where do you get the carrier/container for carrying these small travel cages? The ones from Finch Connection? I've only seen the one that stacks vertically, and that won't fit under the seat on an airplane. I need the measurements, to see if it would fit under an airplane seat.

If you are carrying a bird that may not be used to tube waterers, you can put a horizontal slice of cucumber in the cage, if it won't be a long trip. Most birds love cucumber, and it will keep the bird hydrated enough. I've never had a problem with a bird while using these carriers.

They are also better for carrying through TSA security checks, as the birds get less frightened, there is no metal to set off anything.
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

cindy
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Post by cindy » Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:58 am

Sally wrote: cindy Where do you get the carrier/container for carrying these small travel cages? The ones from Finch Connection? I've only seen the one that stacks vertically, and that won't fit under the seat on an airplane. I need the measurements, to see if it would fit under an airplane seat.

If you are carrying a bird that may not be used to tube waterers, you can put a horizontal slice of cucumber in the cage, if it won't be a long trip. Most birds love cucumber, and it will keep the bird hydrated enough. I've never had a problem with a bird while using these carriers.

They are also better for carrying through TSA security checks, as the birds get less frightened, there is no metal to set off anything.
it is a Florida based supplier.... this is the page for the carriers. http://www.thefinchconnections.com/cate ... d-Carrier/

how to contact them.... http://www.thefinchconnections.com/page ... ct-Us.html

Zebra, Gouldians, Java, CBM Shaft tail & Grasskeets

~ My Facebook groups ~

*Finchaholics ~ finches, hookbills, softbills & canaries are welcome here!
discussions regarding species, housing, breeding, preventatives, treatments

*Birdaholics ~ Avian Classified Ads Only

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:09 pm

Well, duh, I didn't look through the whole site! #-o They don't give dimensions, so I sent them an email. One thing I prefer about having these small carriers in a duffel bag is that you keep them out of sight of other travelers. Believe me, all it would take is some complaints from other passengers about birds in the plane for the few airlines that allow them now to change their minds and forbid them. I try to be very discreet about having birds, and almost always, no one has a clue. Once, when going through TSA with the little metal carriers, TSA made a big deal about them and other people in line noticed. Just my luck, when I was boarding the aircraft, here sits a woman who was nearby when this happened, and she immediately said 'Oh, you're the lady with the little birds."

Another advantage to using a duffel bag is that you can then line the bottom of the bag with a little throw. It gets quite cold on aircraft, especially on the floor, so the throw gives a little insulation. I also can pull it up to partially cover the birds to protect them from the cold.
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

tobyrosie
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by tobyrosie » Mon Nov 02, 2015 1:09 pm

Thank you everyone for your information. Well that is frustrating that American doesn't allow birds! I have been searching high and low for gouldians for MONTHS! So frustrating!