HELP Psycho Hen / mommy

For "miscellaneous" finch-related questions.
flymouse
Mature
Mature

HELP Psycho Hen / mommy

Post by flymouse » Mon Nov 30, 2015 3:58 pm

Please someone tell me what to do. I have had enough of Lola being crazy mom. Ok Lola and Zippy were bought they same time but from different cages sold to pet store from different breeders. SO both were quarantined in separate cages for a month. Zippy sang his heart out to her.

When I put him in she wanted NOTHING to do with him. But I gave it a week and she accepted him. But still seemed cranky at times.

Then I put in a nest and they had no foggy idea what to do with it. I figure ok they are not ready will just let them decide when they are ready. Well they finally laid 6 eggs. And from that moment on she does not want him near the nest. She chases him away squawking like a crazy women. He does manage to get in once in awhile. I thought ok when they hatch she will want him to help feed them. NOPE she chases him all day long making that noise that makes me want to thump her on the head. I am so tired of her being mean to him.

I have 3 cages. One for them, one is an avairy with my society finches that I am waiting to see if they are healed before putting my Zebras in . Lola and Zippy are Zebra Finches. 3rd cage is Joey my newest addition. He is a Parakeet. Please tell me what to do before she hurts him or he hurts himself. This has gone on now for over a week.
Attachments
Tom lost is mind and is UNDER the bedding as so are the eggs now.
Tom lost is mind and is UNDER the bedding as so are the eggs now.

Have a great day
Mickey Jo

Jesus Loves You
I love just about everything he created. Especially my little Chihuahua and chirpy little Finches.oops Guess I should add and my family the 2 legged type. lol

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: HELP Psycho Hen / mommy

Post by lovezebs » Mon Nov 30, 2015 4:19 pm

flymouse

As mentioned in another post, this container is not the best idea for a nest, its slippery and doesn't breathe. Nesting materials will fly out of it easily, as will eggs (if parents jump out in a panic).

That said, I'm not sure what's going on with your pair of Zebras. They may feel insecure in these plastic containers, or might not have enough privacy, it's difficult to say.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

flymouse
Mature
Mature

Post by flymouse » Mon Nov 30, 2015 4:48 pm

My zebras are in a wicker nest

Have a great day
Mickey Jo

Jesus Loves You
I love just about everything he created. Especially my little Chihuahua and chirpy little Finches.oops Guess I should add and my family the 2 legged type. lol

Babs _Owner
Molting
Molting

Post by Babs _Owner » Mon Nov 30, 2015 4:55 pm

flymouse

Is that a zebra that nested itself into oblivion in that picture? That picture cracked me up. :))

How y'all can handle these critters is beyond me! LOL

flymouse
Mature
Mature

Post by flymouse » Mon Nov 30, 2015 6:02 pm

Babs wrote: flymouse

Is that a zebra that nested itself into oblivion in that picture? That picture cracked me up. :))

How y'all can handle these critters is beyond me! LOL
Hello Babs

No that is my male Society Finch Tom. They are the ones that laid eggs in there and in feed dish and threw them all out and started over.

Have a great day
Mickey Jo

Jesus Loves You

Babs _Owner
Molting
Molting

Post by Babs _Owner » Mon Nov 30, 2015 6:32 pm

flymouse

Its cute!! Light paper might not be the best bedding LOL.

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Mon Nov 30, 2015 7:26 pm

flymouse

Oops, sorry. I saw the picture in this post and assumed it belonged with the Zebras.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Babs _Owner
Molting
Molting

Post by Babs _Owner » Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:37 pm

lovezebs

I was working and just skimming like I always do while I work (cause I cant focus full force on reading a post always). I was thinking the same thing. But now the picture just seems funnier if it was a zebra. :-P
Cause those zebras need serious meds, or an "off button", their wind-up key taken away, something...... ](*,) *giggle*

flymouse
Mature
Mature

Post by flymouse » Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:39 pm

Babs wrote: flymouse

Its cute!! Light paper might not be the best bedding LOL.
My Zebra Finches built there nest with the same thing and they have 5 babies. grin. :P

Have a great day
Mickey Jo

Jesus Loves You

flymouse
Mature
Mature

Post by flymouse » Tue Dec 01, 2015 1:17 am

Babs

They are calming down for the night. Thought I was gonna have to find a neighbor with some liquor and get me a drink or two. LOL Or put some in there bath water. LOL Then she would be bitching in a slurrrrrr. LOL Sorry I would never do that but it does seem like a good cartoon.

Have a great day
Mickey Jo

Jesus Loves You

Babs _Owner
Molting
Molting

Post by Babs _Owner » Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:51 am

flymouse

hahahahaha!

flymouse
Mature
Mature

Post by flymouse » Thu Dec 03, 2015 5:25 pm

oh my gosh it is starting again. ALl they do is argue. Should I take him out? He does sit on eggs a tiny bit .

Have a great day
Mickey Jo

Jesus Loves You

Sheather
Proven
Proven

Post by Sheather » Thu Dec 03, 2015 11:47 pm

Please remove their eggs and nest and do not let this pair breed.
Their bad temperaments have a genetic component and it is irresponsible to allow them to reproduce and likely produce more aggressive zebra finches. This is why most zebras in US aviculture have a tendency towards extreme aggression that's simply not seen in most foreign lines that have either been better managed or are closer to the original wild birds. You should only breed good pairs that are not aggressive towards each other or their young.
~Dylan

~~~