Bird Room Update

For "miscellaneous" finch-related questions.
lnlovesorange
4 Eggs Laid
4 Eggs Laid

Bird Room Update

Post by lnlovesorange » Fri Jan 29, 2016 3:40 pm

Hello all. Long time no ...Forum (can I make that a verb, like "google"?) anyhow. So I have moved into a condo and have a 7X7 room for my birds... They love it, well the zebras do... the Gouldians' still wont' come out of their cage.. (any advice on this is much appreciated btw) and everytime I open their cage door to let them fly out, all the pushy nosy zebras go into their cage, and bother the poor gouldians! You would think the zebras trying to cuddle to them would push them to the edge and make them get out but it doesn't.... and in this I end up feeling Horrible because it's the gouldian's cage and they shouldn't have to leave, so I ususally come back shoo out the Zeb's and let the goulds go back to their peaceful ways INSIDE thier cage, however, I would like them to experience free fly... so again any advice.. thanks!!
Now the birds that do enjoy it, well they are just happy as pigs in, well whatever it is that pigs roll around in all happy! My question is has anyone who has moved their birds from cages to a room (@Sheather maybe?) noticed that once the birds have free range of a room, they are .... less afraid? LIke my Zeb's land REALLY close to me, and before I got away from the food today they were whizzing by my head to get to it.... Anyone have any experience like this..?
and don't worry, I will get pics and show you all my wonderful bird room!!!

Dave
Sisal Slave
Sisal Slave

Re: Bird Room Update

Post by Dave » Fri Jan 29, 2016 6:32 pm

I have a room like yours, with cages and flights in it. I let most of the birds fly free, and I also was concerned that the small species would be pushed around by the larger ones. I don't really see that happen, because there is a lot of room. They seem to all move from cage to cage, like bar hopping!

I worried that the waxbill cage wasn't really such any longer, but I got over it. And yes, the birds are less afraid.
Dave

Campbellsville, Kentucky, USA
Canaries

Babs _Owner
Molting
Molting

Post by Babs _Owner » Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:01 pm

lnlovesorange

I cant wait to see pictures of the new room!! Welcome back! Now get that camera out!

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:44 pm

lnlovesorange

Lucky!

Congratulations on your new home, I'm happy for you.

Seeing as I don't have a bird room Ellen, I can't really offer any advice, sorry.

Dylan, at Sheather , would be the person to ask.

Looking forward to seeing pictures :-)
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Spreckles
3 Eggs Laid
3 Eggs Laid

Post by Spreckles » Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:44 pm

Yes! My birds free fly. I have 3 cages and 3 types of finches. Societies, cordon bleu's & a zebra. They are adapting beautifully to each other and the space. They seem more responsive to me as well. Not fearful of much anymore. I am thinking about holding breakfast in my hands and make em come and get it :D.
They all sleep together in one cage except for Blue.

Do yours make laps around the room when your in there? I sit and drink coffee in there. I play music and they are very interactive with it. I need to make a video.

I am loving this. =D>

Jen
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Jen » Sat Jan 30, 2016 12:14 am

inlovesorange

Your bird room sounds beautiful. Can't wait to see photos!

@spreckles
I totally can relate to your coffee time in the morning. Wish I had more time in the morning before work so I could enjoy my bird family more. When Spring comes around and it is daylight outside, and I can take all the covering off my aviary I will be sitting out there every morning enjoying the peace and quiet before I'm off to work. What a great start to the day!

Jenny

Gouldians, Red Cheek Cordon Blue family, Gold Breasted Waxbills, Fire Finches, Owl finches, Yellow Face & Red Face Star Finches, Lavender Finches, Society Finches, Canary,Rosey Bourke, Scarlet Chested Grasskeets, Cockatiels, too many Guineas, Izzy my 16 year old cute doggie dog, two spoiled kitties!

lnlovesorange
4 Eggs Laid
4 Eggs Laid

Post by lnlovesorange » Wed Feb 10, 2016 4:25 pm

Sorry guys no pics yet BUT all of my Gould's came out!!! One at a time (i think the other 2 hold down the fort from the 6 zebs!!! But they have all 3 been out (figures my Gould with one foot was the first one, I always call him my Brave one!) They are TERRIBLE fliers!!! They have only ever been in a cage, so they need to work on those flight muscles, but they are coming along and getting braver and braver! So happy. Gave them some sprouted seed too to try to give them some energy (figure they'll be using more energy with all the extra flying) So, I'm SO Happy, I felt like the same as the first time I saw my niece or nephew walk!! I was so happy, and they are so happy, singing ALL DAY LONG!!! I'm thinking I might try start making them eat out of my hands too Spreckles!!!!

lnlovesorange
4 Eggs Laid
4 Eggs Laid

Post by lnlovesorange » Wed Feb 10, 2016 4:29 pm

Spreckles They are funny. The zebs are the best fliers, because I've let them out even before I lived there, (my room wasn't the most condusive so i was hesitant to let the gould's out) But the Zeb's are really good fliers, so they just zip around like crazy, but laps YES, and depending on the time of day... It's wierd sometimes if I walk over here, they fly over there, and visa versa, but sometimes they almost look like they want to come over to me.... And I have a parrotlet now that's ALWAYS on my shoulder, so i wonder if seeing him so comfortable with me, helps them be less afraid? Either way, i'm so happy, my birds are happy, and now I want to get Owls and Societies!!!! LOL, Marshall has my hands full, (my P'Let) but I will be getting more finches.... sooner than later I hope!

Sheather
Proven
Proven

Post by Sheather » Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:20 pm

Inlovesorange I have just gotten to the point that my finches will fly to me and land on my palm to eat!

It's a trick I've tried for literally two years, no go, but I had such a big flock before and since I downsized, I have only two male societies now. Suddenly without anyone else around to sound the alarm, they will both come right to me and eat while perched on my arm.
~Dylan

~~~

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:25 pm

lnlovesorange

Sounds like things are really coming along :D

I'm happy for you Ellen, and for your birdies.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Babs _Owner
Molting
Molting

Post by Babs _Owner » Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:17 am

lnlovesorange

Stop teasing us :twisted: and get us some pics or videos!

slwatson
Proud Parent
Proud Parent

Post by slwatson » Fri Feb 12, 2016 4:11 pm

lnlovesorange

Sounds like an awesome bird room! I don't have one myself...I've got too many birds, and one of my two dogs would love to have a little bird snack. I want to see pictures too!
Stacie
Look up Tweets & Beaks on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Tweets-Beaks-1 ... 0/?fref=ts

Spreckles
3 Eggs Laid
3 Eggs Laid

Post by Spreckles » Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:54 pm

How is it going?

Karen

lnlovesorange
4 Eggs Laid
4 Eggs Laid

Post by lnlovesorange » Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:31 am

Pretty good, all my birds are out of their cages now, LOVING the space, they are all so happy! ( i mean they were happy before, but I don't know I can just tell) they sing ALL DAY LONG, and fly and chirp and there's a big window, so they all sorts of natural light... I PROMISE I will take pics tonight and put them up!!!

debbie276
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Post by debbie276 » Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:53 am

Great news!! :)
Nothing better then a happy bird
Debbie
long time breeder of lady gouldians:
Green
SF Pastel (SF Yellow)
Pastel (Yellow)