Aviary size

For "miscellaneous" finch-related questions.
StodOne
Amateur Architect
Amateur Architect

Aviary size

Post by StodOne » Mon Feb 29, 2016 4:48 am

What would be the minimum size of an aviary so it can actually be an aviary , I still don't get the difference between cage and an aviary except that the cage is smaller and the aviary is bigger ?

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: Aviary size

Post by Sally » Mon Feb 29, 2016 1:06 pm

It can be confusing, but usually I define an aviary as an enclosure that I can walk into, a flight as a cage large enough for the birds to actually fly around, not just short flights from one side to another, yet not large enough for me to enter, and breeding cages as cages large enough for one pair of birds but not so large that I have difficulty catching them.

So an aviary could be as small as say 5'x3'x6' tall, with an entrance door for servicing, or as large as you can afford to enclose. A flight could be quite large, but still not so large that yoiu could not clean it because you could not enter it and could not reach every area.

In some parts of the world, an enclosure 6'x3'x6' tall would be called a flight, while they reserve the word aviary for something much larger. Basically, you can call what you have a cage/flight/aviary, what really counts is the actual size, not what you call it.
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

StodOne
Amateur Architect
Amateur Architect

Post by StodOne » Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:18 pm

Sally
Aha , thank you very much that was very helpful ! :D

MariusStegmann
Weaning
Weaning

Post by MariusStegmann » Mon Feb 29, 2016 3:07 pm

StodOne Sally summed it up very nicely. I always regard an aviary as something that you get outside, that you can plant plants and shrubs and trees in and too large to pick up and carry to the other side of the backyard. You need 4 mates and a crane to do that.
Marius

StodOne
Amateur Architect
Amateur Architect

Post by StodOne » Mon Feb 29, 2016 3:18 pm

MariusStegmann haha , thanks for response , I dont think I will be needing a crane as I kinda always find a way to make things work , somehow ... things sort themselves out eventually haha xD
I plan to put the aviary outside on the terrace and the attic is just above , we will probably be able to maneuver the aviary roof from there ^_^, I dont plan to make a foundation for this aviary , i will weld the iron bars together to get the shape , i will buy some kind of wire and weld them to the bars and I still have no clue how i am going to do that all , but as I said , things always sort themselves out
:D