Is it nessesery to ask neighbours about setting up aviary

For "miscellaneous" finch-related questions.
Lazzer15
Pip
Pip

Is it nessesery to ask neighbours about setting up aviary

Post by Lazzer15 » Tue Mar 08, 2016 6:18 pm

Did you inform any of your neighbours when you set up a finch aviary? I've just set up my new aviary with societies and zebras and it just occurred to me maybe I should ask them incase the noise bothers them. I live in a residential area and have a fairly small garden. Although the aviary is as far from their house as it can be.
Thanks

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: Is it nessesery to ask neighbours about setting up aviar

Post by Sally » Tue Mar 08, 2016 11:28 pm

I don't have an outside aviary, so I don't have experience with them. Fortunately, finches as a rule aren't anywhere near as noisy as hookbills, and unless you would have a pretty overcrowded aviary, I don't think they would make much more noise than some of the wild birds do. We'd love to see photos of your birds and aviary!

Welcome to the forum! There's lots of good reading at www.finchinfo.com, where you will find many articles on finch care. If you put your general location in your profile, it will help us to answer locale-specific questions.
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Wed Mar 09, 2016 1:26 am

Lazzer15

Welcome to the Forum.

I honestly don't think that a few Zebras and Societies, would make enough noise to bother your neighbors (unless these neighbors are really fussy ).
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Jen
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Jen » Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:03 am

Lazzer15
I have an outdoor aviary but my neighbors are not very close at all so I don't have to deal with your issue. I wouldn't think finches would make enough noise to bother anyone. Best of luck with them and your neighbors! Please post photos when you can!

Jenny

Gouldians, Red Cheek Cordon Blue family, Gold Breasted Waxbills, Fire Finches, Owl finches, Yellow Face & Red Face Star Finches, Lavender Finches, Society Finches, Canary,Rosey Bourke, Scarlet Chested Grasskeets, Cockatiels, too many Guineas, Izzy my 16 year old cute doggie dog, two spoiled kitties!

MariusStegmann
Weaning
Weaning

Post by MariusStegmann » Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:28 am

It depends on your local authority's rules. I live in South Africa and the rules governing animal habitations, states that no such may be located within 1.5 m from the boundary line. I was recently forced to move my aviaries because my neighbours thought that I was the person who reported them for their dog's excessive barking, and wanted to get back at me.
Marius