Until 1 month ago they were lovers, now they're fighting?

For "miscellaneous" finch-related questions.
Stuart whiting
Weaning
Weaning

Re: Until 1 month ago they were lovers, now they're fighting

Post by Stuart whiting » Tue Aug 16, 2016 4:37 am

haroun

I agree mate, that's what were all here for....to help one another and anybody else who needs help :-BD

Speak soon :mrgreen:

RaduPalanga
Nestling
Nestling

Post by RaduPalanga » Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:24 am

RaduPalanga wrote:
Stuart whiting wrote: RaduPalanda :....No mate, you're first original picture of the two cock finches.....one is a phaeo and the other is a pied both cocks,

these birds that are in the pet shop, this picture you've put arrows on is not the phaeo, this is a European Isabel cock sitting on the nest basket,
The bird directly sitting at the front of the nest ( the grey bird ) is a hen
So the one that has that black tear drop on the cheeks?

Mkay...

It's confusing. Some females have red beaks, some males have somewhat orange`ish beaks :D lol so I gotta use the face marks (tear drop) to distinguish between them...

Oh and haroun the two finch cocks I have right now... they have different singings. If I were to try & distinguish them by their singings alone, I'd say the pied one has a more masculine singing, while the phaeo finch has a more girlish sound. :(
yes males can have different singing it 's normal, but at least they sing wich a hen can't do she only beep (like a car lol in french we say hen claxonne only).
ok the pied was the dominante one why he has a masculine sing , the pheao was the dominated so

in a global way , in the birds world the coks are more bueatifull (more coloured) then hens
So, the two cocks I have now... The grey one sings more like a laser (lol). The phaeo one has a more feminine singing to it if you ask me. I mean the phaeo SINGS, while the grey one barely fires rapid lasers LOL.

Just today I saw the grey one hump the phaeo again. Then, he fought him. Like... the phaeo was now on the ground, looking up at him, and running away every time the grey one would jump around. Lol. The wheel turns :D

Which one do you suggest I return? The phaeo or the grey one?

haroun
Incubating
Incubating

Post by haroun » Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:17 am

hi
the fignt confirms that one is dominant(grey one hump the phaeo again. Then, he fought him) and otherone is dominated (he phaeo was now on the ground,) i can guess taht the nest is still here !!

do you mean the grey one the pied , that's true ?! the right name is pied grey (pied from grey series, there are also pied fawn) if he is not showing colors or signs for other mutations i will not keep him he is so common for me, and will keep the pheao the double beauty (is +bb) actually all my pieds and the cfw have to leave except one pied/ isa and one BC cfw .any way is to you to decide keep wich one you love

Babs _Owner
Molting
Molting

Post by Babs _Owner » Tue Aug 16, 2016 12:34 pm

RaduPalanga

I dont raise zebras, but dont I see a female in that photo of the petshop birds? Its sitting in the nest. Is that a Isabel hen? Shes very light colored

Stuart whiting
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Stuart whiting » Tue Aug 16, 2016 12:38 pm

Babs

At first glance it looks like there's a hen sitting directly on the front of the nest bowl, bird furthest to left of picture but I've now just looked again a lot closer by enlarging the pic and can see a faint cheek patch on the bird, it's possible that this bird could be a young grey cock bird that is now changing to adult feathering :mrgreen:

Just a thought,

Babs _Owner
Molting
Molting

Post by Babs _Owner » Tue Aug 16, 2016 1:23 pm

Stuart whiting

Ahhh, I got all excited hoping it was a matching hen for him. Darn it! LOL

haroun
Incubating
Incubating

Post by haroun » Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:03 pm

Stuart whiting@Babs
Stuart the grey bonds rd on the front of the nest basket at left is hen and i suspect her to be split to ob cuze of here faint orange cheek patch and small faint dots on the chest enlarge the fist and2nd pic of petshop, btw a young zebra doesny molt mike this at cheek and chest
The otherone seating in the nest lookslike a cfw but dilute cfw especially the black & grey colors may he be an isa cfw combo
———¹
itake a second look lsee:
Botom manibill of beak is orange
No cheek patches only a faint
No coloured chest
No breast bar and zebra marks
A hen for sure and all the other tree ard coks

RaduPalanga
Nestling
Nestling

Post by RaduPalanga » Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:53 pm

So... Both my zebra finches have songs. Just different.

As haroun has pointed out, the female zebra finch has no courtship song, right? Just... car alarm beeping sounds?

Like... this one here? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wr8HDk6l7ZM

Stuart whiting
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Stuart whiting » Wed Aug 17, 2016 2:12 am

haroun wrote: Stuart whiting@Babs
Stuart the grey bonds rd on the front of the nest basket at left is hen and i suspect her to be split to ob cuze of here faint orange cheek patch and small faint dots on the chest enlarge the fist and2nd pic of petshop, btw a young zebra doesny molt mike this at cheek and chest
The otherone seating in the nest lookslike a cfw but dilute cfw especially the black & grey colors may he be an isa cfw combo
———¹
itake a second look lsee:
Botom manibill of beak is orange
No cheek patches only a faint
No coloured chest
No breast bar and zebra marks
A hen for sure and all the other tree ard coks
Absolutely a zebra finch don't moult as you've explained but when it's a baby it has NO markings at all just a bit of the tear drop depending on the colouration and wouldn't start to get its cheek patch and flank markings until it starts to go through its first moult, I'm also inclined to think that it's a hen but when you see a bird with faint cheek patches you have to ask yerself could the the bird mentioned still be a young COCK bird going through its first moult :mrgreen:

Bit difficult to tell without knowing the birds and even seeing them properly

Incidentally any hens can not be split for any sex linked gene :roll:

Stuart whiting
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Stuart whiting » Wed Aug 17, 2016 2:46 am

haroun just an add on, I've just realised that the bird mentioned could aslo be a hen grey cheek as all hens in this colouration have the cheek patch :mrgreen:

haroun
Incubating
Incubating

Post by haroun » Wed Aug 17, 2016 2:55 am

Seeig her beak this bird is no more on juvenile molting, i suspecting her tp be split to orange breast by here cheek & chest state, of corse a hen cant be split to a sexlnked mut. So lightener one sitting with her i' the nest is a cfw but so diluted mau he coumd be a combo cfw+isa may b et
Just read your last post we agree that the grey bird is hen, nut could't ne a grey cheek ihave grey and fawn cheek and nody colour cant be grey should be light/cream

Stuart whiting
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Stuart whiting » Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:14 am

haroun oh ok fair do's,

l onestly can't really see what hen it is, it does look like a normal but normals don't have any cheek patch even faint they don't, hence why I thought that the nearest to it could be the grey or fawn cheek but the problem is as you very rightly say that the grey and fawn cheeks are normally lighter in body colour :wink:

As mentioned it's so very difficult to know exactly what certain birds are without knowing the genetic genes and families of such birds,

I think the best bet is for the fella to go back to the shop and get better and closer pics especially the head and front of the bird / birds :-BD

haroun
Incubating
Incubating

Post by haroun » Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:58 am

Totally agreed Stuart i was on point to ask RaduPalanga, if he can got a better pics of that grey .

another point : for the grey hen when i spoke about her chest and the white dots , i mean her chestnut flanked with faint or semivirtual spots,Hens can have faint ghost flanking (usually a sign of split to OB) .excuse me for my miss writting
for me looks like same hen http://www.finchforum.com/viewtopic.php ... st#p398973 faint cheek , fawn bely ,and chestnut with ghost flanking
didn't you ?

RaduPalanga
Nestling
Nestling

Post by RaduPalanga » Wed Aug 17, 2016 5:56 am

haroun oh ok fair do's,

l onestly can't really see what hen it is, it does look like a normal but normals don't have any cheek patch even faint they don't, hence why I thought that the nearest to it could be the grey or fawn cheek but the problem is as you very rightly say that the grey and fawn cheeks are normally lighter in body colour :wink:

As mentioned it's so very difficult to know exactly what certain birds are without knowing the genetic genes and families of such birds,

I think the best bet is for the fella to go back to the shop and get better and closer pics especially the head and front of the bird / birds :-BD
I'm just gonna look for one that has NO FANCY COLORATION AT ALL, and only the black teardrop mark on the cheeks.

Chest lines, wing splotches, striped wings... Yeah, no, that's definitely going to be a male.

Stuart whiting
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Stuart whiting » Wed Aug 17, 2016 6:44 am

haroun yea mate I'd go along with that, quite agree :mrgreen: