Until 1 month ago they were lovers, now they're fighting?

For "miscellaneous" finch-related questions.
Stuart whiting
Weaning
Weaning

Re: Until 1 month ago they were lovers, now they're fighting

Post by Stuart whiting » Wed Aug 17, 2016 6:50 am

RaduPalanga yea mate in all onesty I think that's yer best bet as at the moment whilst yer still learning about the colours and genetics which do take time it can only confuse yerself even more,

You've done very well though for taking the trouble and time to investigate the birds and try to learn and understand the genetics of zebra finches,

Well done mate :-BD

Hope you can finally find a hen

RaduPalanga
Nestling
Nestling

Post by RaduPalanga » Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:53 am

So. All round white bird. Red beak. CIRCLE SPOT ON THE CHEEKS.

DOES IT NEED TO HAVE A TEARDROP? OR NOT?! :(

haroun
Incubating
Incubating

Post by haroun » Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:48 pm

Teardrop : depends on colors and varieties
in some mutation it is totaly confused with the cheek like black cheek and bface where we cant distiguish it from cheek patch
In others mts is totaly abscent like black brast or faint teardrop in some bad isabel
. And of corse there is a transition betewen them for slipts like a thin tear for split bc to slim tear for split bb

Stuart whiting
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Stuart whiting » Fri Aug 19, 2016 6:26 am

RaduPalanga wrote: So. All round white bird. Red beak. CIRCLE SPOT ON THE CHEEKS.

DOES IT NEED TO HAVE A TEARDROP? OR NOT?! :(
Being onest fella we could be here for days discussing about genetics and colouration of zebra finches as can only explain a certain amount on each post,

What you ideally need to do as already mentioned is sit down and google image zebra mutations etc, also the forums finch information centre webpage is definitely worth looking at, go onto species and then go onto zebras,

You'll onestly learn loads if you sit and study and do plenty of research :-BD

Stuart whiting
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Stuart whiting » Fri Aug 19, 2016 6:29 am

haroun wrote: Teardrop : depends on colors and varieties
in some mutation it is totaly confused with the cheek like black cheek and bface where we cant distiguish it from cheek patch
In others mts is totaly abscent like black brast or faint teardrop in some bad isabel
. And of corse there is a transition betewen them for slipts like a thin tear for split bc to slim tear for split bb
Absolutely agree 100 % haroun, well said mate :-BD

RaduPalanga
Nestling
Nestling

Post by RaduPalanga » Fri Aug 19, 2016 3:46 pm

haroun wrote: Teardrop : depends on colors and varieties
bface? You mean "black face"?

black brast? You mean "black breast"? I googled that and only AFTER I did so I realised "oh..." lol :)

Split bb, split bc?

What do you mean? Sorry, maybe these (especially bb and bc) mean something that I don't know :(

RaduPalanga
Nestling
Nestling

Post by RaduPalanga » Fri Aug 19, 2016 3:49 pm

Stuart whiting wrote: Being onest fella we could be here for days discussing about genetics and colouration of zebra finches as can only explain a certain amount on each post,

What you ideally need to do as already mentioned is sit down and google image zebra mutations etc, also the forums finch information centre webpage is definitely worth looking at, go onto species and then go onto zebras,

You'll onestly learn loads if you sit and study and do plenty of research :-BD
ARGH ! ! ! !

http://www.finchinfo.com/images/species/zebrafinch4.jpg
Captions : Chestnut Flanked White cock, Black Cheeked hen.

So the one in the right is a HEN?! JESUS !

Things are MUCH HARDER now.

Also... this : http://www.finchinfo.com/images/species ... inch21.jpg
Captions : White zebra finch hen (orange beak).

So... if it is like that white one in the last picture... I know it is a hen just by looking at the beak (since there are no other distinctive marks at all)?

RaduPalanga
Nestling
Nestling

Post by RaduPalanga » Fri Aug 19, 2016 3:57 pm

When I got home, they were like this. Aren't they cute? I hope they won't miss each other... because tomorrow, one is going to be switched up for a hen.

I'll give up on the gray one and keep the isabel.

Also... hope the store will have hens!

Pictures at : https://postimg.org/gallery/p3n5mauy/6e024a08/

Stuart whiting
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Stuart whiting » Fri Aug 19, 2016 4:34 pm

RaduPalanga

Hi mate, hope you can manage to swap the the grey cock bird over tomorrow and get yerself a nice hen :-BD

haroun
Incubating
Incubating

Post by haroun » Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:05 pm

Hi
Bb:black breast.
Bc:black cheek
Bf:Blackfac
Ob orange breast
Cfw cheastnet flanked white
Split means that apparently the bird is not mutant (phenotype), but if breed witj anothet split or mutant we can got mutant offsprings(genotype). such as bird (split) is goten by breeding a mutante x no mutant, already split xsplit or non mutante l x already split birds
There is no split for a dominante mutation
All recessives mutations have split
Only cokes can be split to for sex linked mutation: LightBAck', CCFW, CFW and fawn..
Btw you havent an Isabel but a dounme beauty :P. Sorry mean PHEao

RaduPalanga
Nestling
Nestling

Post by RaduPalanga » Sat Aug 20, 2016 5:21 am

Hi
Bb:black breast.
Bc:black cheek
Bf:Blackfac
Ob orange breast
Cfw cheastnet flanked white
Split means that apparently the bird is not mutant (phenotype), but if breed witj anothet split or mutant we can got mutant offsprings(genotype). such as bird (split) is goten by breeding a mutante x no mutant, already split xsplit or non mutante l x already split birds
There is no split for a dominante mutation
All recessives mutations have split
Only cokes can be split to for sex linked mutation: LightBAck', CCFW, CFW and fawn..
Btw you havent an Isabel but a dounme beauty :P. Sorry mean PHEao
I'm laughing so hard =))

Sorry mate, "blackfac" made me laugh my butt off.

Split xplit. Oh my God.

Now, jokes aside... Yeah, I get what you're saying. I'll keep the isabel, and I bet his babies will not be isabels lol.

It's funny that we (customers) have to become experts at birds, because the pet shop employees DON'T KNOW NOTHING ! ! !

Stuart whiting
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Stuart whiting » Sat Aug 20, 2016 6:00 am

RaduPalanga

Takes a long time before one can become expert my freind,

Depends what is actually meant but this :mrgreen:

I've bred and exhibited birds at champion level for now 36 years, yea sure I certainly know a thing or to about birds and can definitely hold me ground so to speak but I don't even regard meself as an expert ....just an old school experienced fancier :mrgreen:

As mentioned before that it can take an awful long time to fully understand genetics and colour variations etc and certainly can't be learnt overnight,

Upto now my freind you've done well with learning a few things about yer zebras :-BD

I personally have a thirst for knowledge and will not ever give up on researching info if there's something I wanna know,

You'll get there in the end mate,

Incidentally your Isabel is actually a phaeo :mrgreen:

RaduPalanga
Nestling
Nestling

Post by RaduPalanga » Sat Aug 20, 2016 8:59 am

Stuart whiting wrote: RaduPalanga

Takes a long time before one can become expert my freind,

Depends what is actually meant but this :mrgreen:

I've bred and exhibited birds at champion level for now 36 years, yea sure I certainly know a thing or to about birds and can definitely hold me ground so to speak but I don't even regard meself as an expert ....just an old school experienced fancier :mrgreen:

As mentioned before that it can take an awful long time to fully understand genetics and colour variations etc and certainly can't be learnt overnight,

Upto now my freind you've done well with learning a few things about yer zebras :-BD

I personally have a thirst for knowledge and will not ever give up on researching info if there's something I wanna know,

You'll get there in the end mate,

Incidentally your Isabel is actually a phaeo :mrgreen:
Yeah, no, I meant that we must become experts ourselves, because the guys at the pet shop are just wrong. So wrong. And know nothing at all.

And yeah, it's a phaeo. JESUS ! Darn it.

I'll exchange the other one. The phaeo seems more capable of building a nest and such - as I previously mentioned. Besides, the singing of the phaeo one is more colorful, whereas the gray one just fires lasers lol.

RaduPalanga
Nestling
Nestling

Post by RaduPalanga » Sat Aug 20, 2016 10:50 am

Just came back from the store. Got an all white hen!

As soon as I released the hen into the cage, the male started... well, you can see for yourself. Check this video out. Really, watch it. I started recording less than 5 seconds after I let the hen in the cage.

Here are some pictures of the rest of the finches at the store. If you're curious :)

Now, back to my finches. The male stopped trying to hump her. For a while, I saw the female having her beak open - maybe she felt threatened? But I just rmeembered, ~3 months back when I first got my pair (of two cocks, lol), they both kept their beaks opened for the first day. Guess it's just getting familiar with the environment...

Now, speaking of environment... You saw the basket (doubling as a nest, lol) I have in the cage. Should I dismantle it and let them re-do it, or leave it as it is?

Babs _Owner
Molting
Molting

Post by Babs _Owner » Sat Aug 20, 2016 11:42 am

RaduPalanga

How cow! He is like" HEYYY baby! Look at my big NEST!!" B-) hahahaha.. I see eggs in your immediate future. :YMDAYDREAM:

Leave the nest as it is. Just throw a few pieces of nesting materials on the ground so he can show her his fancy moves by plopping it in the nest. ;)