NEVER SHIP USPS!

For "miscellaneous" finch-related questions.
robin311
Hatchling
Hatchling

Re: NEVER SHIP USPS!

Post by robin311 » Wed May 07, 2014 3:54 pm

Oh, I am SO happy for your and your new kids! I just saw this post and tore through it from beginning to end as if it were a soap opera in real life. I wanted to read ahead in hopes that, by some miracle, your birds were safe and I am so happy for you that they are. The USPS tracking system is worthless, I agree.
Congratulations Crystal, and thank you for the words of warning. I am trying to find some strawberry finches and considered having them sent from Oregon to NJ but now I think I will opt for local (at least in the state) breeders.
Congrats again. Good luck with them.

Robin

MiaCarter
Molting
Molting

Post by MiaCarter » Thu May 08, 2014 3:21 am

I did the same! Incredible what these creatures can survive, really.

@robin311 -- You know where I always see Strawberries is at PetSmart. And at a couple different ones too, so I might check there.
I'm not big on purchasing from pet shops; I think it's unethical and I much prefer breeders. But not everyone has the ethical hangup and often, you can get them to tell you which local breeder supplies them. :-)
Humum to....
13 Zebra Finches....and 2 squeeps!
3 Society Finches
6 Gouldians
1 Weaver
1 Pintail Whydah
2 Cockatiels
2 Parakeets

....along with 1 MinPin, 1 Pug, 1 JRT, 1 Yorkie, 2 Chihuahuas and 15 cats.

www.PetFinchFacts.com

Sadie
Nestling
Nestling

Post by Sadie » Fri Oct 03, 2014 4:11 pm

In my experience, UPS has come to mean 'oops'
Only difference is the spelling :P
Sadie

TheWhiteFinchAviary
Flirty Bird
Flirty Bird

Post by TheWhiteFinchAviary » Fri Oct 17, 2014 1:32 pm

I thought I replied to this?? Must have been another USPS post.

First I will preface this with - I used to think USPS shipping for finches was literally a joke an older hobbyist told me to make me laugh. I thought it sounded archaic and dangerous. Then I actually tried it. Now I've shipped USPS dozens of times in the past couple years and I would never do it differently.

YES it is against USPS regulations to ship finches. I have heard of people who had their finches turned around because someone somewhere knew what they were and that they were against regulations. I heard of that happening once through hearsay out of the hundreds of other USPS finch shippers I spoke with.

That being said, they will openly accept finches. My local post office accepts finches as if I had told them I was shipping a box of rocks. They don't care. BUT they WILL stop me if I openly admit to putting water in the box. They also now have the "no water" regulation printed out and posted at all counters in their main office. Sorry about that, it was definitely my fault. :D I personally use their pickup option so I don't have to take a cab to the post office any more, that was such a nightmare of a trip every time. Something would go wrong and I'd end up having to go home and try again a week later. They are much more strict at the post office than they are if you schedule a pickup from your house.

THEIR SYSTEM IS NOT PERFECT. As Bob and others have pointed out, weather is definitely a factor. That's why I have strict regulations when it comes to weather - wind, heat and cold at both the origin and destination. They DO have "animal trained" staff who handle the live shipments in transit, they DO use temp controlled environments, etc. Does that mean everyone who comes into contact with the live bird shipment will be specially trained? No, of course not. Does that mean they are in perfect environments the entire trip? No, of course not. These are things you need to be prepared for if you're going to use USPS shipping. INCLUDING delays. Across country sometimes it can take up to 4-5 days. Also why I ONLY ship on Mondays to avoid the birds getting stuck in the post office over the weekend.

THIS INCLUDES LOST SHIPMENTS. How do you prepare against such things? Well, how do you guarantee the best service with anything in life? Pay a little extra for a special service. As someone else already suggested, they do have special handling options. OR you can do what I do and insure the shipment for $500-$1000 for only $5-$10. I do this out of my pocket every time as a courtesy. If you buy insurance, it shows up on the label. I have NEVER had a shipment go missing as a result. Do they pay out for live birds? No, NEVER. It is in their regulations that they will not, even if you pay for the insurance online. But will that stop some entry level warehouse working employee when they read the label and ponder stealing the box for themselves? YES. I can attest to that, else I would have probably had a handful go missing by now.

The USPS staff knows their regulations against finches are outdated. I've spoken with them at length and they claim they've been working on getting it changed for years now. Post offices will still accept it because hey, it's money and people do it openly all over the country. There are multiple large scale brokers/flippers who have USPS Express listed as a shipping option on their site. I don't think that will EVER happen and the regulations will always be there. The entire reason they don't allow the birds through their system is because they prohibit water in all live shipments. The reason for that is pretty obvious. Water + cardboard boxes = disaster.

There are obviously safe ways to do USPS shipping, since so many of us do it regularly and successfully. I've shipped to every corner of the country without any hiccups. Again, always insure the package. Always make sure the substrate is thick and water proof. Put PLENTY of food and water in case of delays - I usually put 1-2 weeks worth in their with them depending on the length of their trip (2 or 3 days and I give them a week, 4 or 5 days and I give them 2 weeks). This does waste a ton of seed but it gives me peace of mind. Zip tie drinkers and make sure they are 1000% secured. Zip tie millet. Sponges in the drinker bottoms to prevent spillage (I use all natural fiber sponges which work aces).

AIRLINE SHIPPING and USPS EXPRESS are the EXACT SAME THING!! They both use airline and ground transportation to get them from point a to b. Yes, USPS uses more ground transportation and does not always guarantee next day delivery but it's much more cost effective. Both shipments sit in the bellies of planes, both go through the exact same process. Do airlines make sure your birds are in the perfect environment the whole time? Nope, it's just like USPS - you get what you get and need to plan around weather to be safe. The ONLY other difference is that USPS will deliver the birds to your door or local PO. (They call as a courtesy but you can ask them to bring the birds to your door and they will.)

Without USPS shipping imho I don't think we would have nearly as many hobbyists, breeders, or even enthusiasts.
ImageImageNFSS Editor

Leo519
Flirty Bird
Flirty Bird

Post by Leo519 » Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:58 am

TheWhiteFinchAviary

I'm glad I found this topic and thank you for sharing the inside scoop with us.
I have received finches twice via USPS Express since becoming a finch hobbyist six months ago. Your elaboration on the details of USPS shipping brings clarity to the process and takes away much of the feeling of "mystery" I experienced. Also it will help people make an informed decision as to the best way for them to acquire their birds.
Laura

Society, Spice, and Owl finches, Gouldians
Red Cheeked Cordon Bleus, Senegal Fire finches
American Singer canary

Stinch
Mature
Mature

Post by Stinch » Sun Dec 27, 2015 11:41 am

The pet shops either only house budgies, canaries or cockatiels from "bird breeders" (The ones equivalent to dog mills, but for birds) or the pet shops actually get birds form their own stock. I dn't mean to be offensive, but why would you ship birds from a company that doesn't allow people to ship finches? Weird, but you never had problems before, so I guess you still assumed that you wouldn't have a problem before the problem happened.

Stinch
Mature
Mature

Post by Stinch » Sun Dec 27, 2015 11:41 am

Spell check: *don't

Nerine
Callow Courter
Callow Courter

Post by Nerine » Mon Mar 14, 2016 12:54 pm

Good to hear your birds are okay!!