NEVER SHIP USPS!

For "miscellaneous" finch-related questions.
Crystal
Brooding
Brooding

NEVER SHIP USPS!

Post by Crystal » Sun May 14, 2006 8:40 pm

I used to ship birds USPS and have received live bird shipments from USPS in the past without problems, and I realize it is a fairly common procedure that lots of breeders rely on to sell their birds to people across the US.

However, just this past week I have had a terrible USPS experience and I will NEVER use USPS again for ANY shipment that I need to get somewhere by a specific time, ESPECIALLY a live animal shipment! I advise you to not use USPS either to prevent anything like what happened to me from ever occurring again. I hope that you will all spread the word of this terrible experience so that it doesn't happen to anyone else.

What happened:

I purchased my 2 pairs of birds ($310) in California and they were healthy and doing great. I originally wanted to take them on the plane with me when I flew home to Florida since United allows birds as a carry on for 80$. At first I felt this was a steep fee, but in the end I decided that it was reasonable for peace of mind and keeping the birds by my side at all times. I called the airline several times to gather all of the information I would need to carry the birds on the plane. I was told I needed a special cage, to pay $80, and to make reservations for the birds a few days in advance. I purchased a special carrying cage that could fit under the seat in front of me and budgeted for the $80 though I could definitely not afford anything more than that. I got to LA and purchased my 2 pairs, and then called the airline to make reservations for my birds.... only to learn that in addition to a special cage, advance reservations, and a fee, I also needed to present a veterinary health certificate for my birds.

I don't know any vets in LA, let alone bird vets, and I was relying on other people for transportation. However, even if I was able to find a bird vet, get an appointment, and find a ride to my appointment, I still could not afford to pay for 4 health exams on these birds in order to obtain a health certificate--I had only budgeted for the $80 carry on fee and I'm otherwise very broke right now, sadly.

So I decided to try shipping USPS to a trusted friend back home. I have Horizon Microenvironments ship me a special bird box overnight, received it 3pm on Thursday, and loaded it with seed, spray millet, cucumber and orange slices, and even taped a deli cup with a little water in it to the bottom corner of the box. I added the birds and wrote in sharpie marker my friend's address and phone numbers, a note to hold the birds and call my friend when they were received at the post office, and my phone number. I shipped them out at 3:34pm Thursday May 11th from Los Angeles to Gainesville Florida with the USPS overnight express mail service. I was told they would be guaranteed to arrive in Gainesville by 3pm Friday May 12th at the latest. Even if something delayed the package slightly, they could still be delivered early Saturday morning. I was given a tracking number. I called my friend and instructed her on what to do--to call her post office early in the morning and inform them she was expecting a live bird shipment, etc. I gave her a copy of the tracking #.

The last record USPS has of my shipment was from 6:30 pm on Friday May 12th when the package was supposedly "processed" and shipped out from the USPS distribution center in Miami, Florida, 3 and a half hours AFTER it was supposed to already be in Gainesville. It hasn't been seen since. It is now 8:30 pm Sunday May 14th, and there are only 2 possibilities in my mind for what has become of my four new pets...

1. Either the package was stolen in Miami by a USPS employee that thought 4 cute birds would make a great Mother's Day gift

or

2. USPS has lost the package and the four birds are dead.

USPS does not allow insurance of live animal shipments, and will not compensate me for the loss of my four birds. I have been in contact with the facilities in Gainesville, Miami, Jacksonville as well as with numerous customer service employees at the 1-800-ask-usps number since Friday evening. No one has been able to help or give me any valuable information. No one knows where the package is or where it might be headed to next. No one has any information, and what is worse, the customer service people are not only apathetic but rude. No one cares that this is an urgent live bird shipment and that this is literally a matter of life and death. The customer service employees have raised their voices at me--me who is understandably upset and has every right to be. I have been told the birds are probably dead and that I should not expect any compensation even though it is entirely the fault of USPS for the delayed delivery (or non delivery?).

I plan on writing my letters of complaint, and I have done everything else within my power to ameliorate this situation. I asked customer service to start a research investigation but so far no one has seemed to be working on my case, and no information has been uncovered. The USPS tracking system is a joke and is essentially worthless. They don't know what truck the birds were placed on or where they were being driven to. They claim they don't have the ability to communicate with their distribution centers after hours, on certain days, or ever with their truck drivers--all of this seems like a pack of lies to me. A company like USPS has to have the ability to communicate with their employees at all hours in order to function.

I am terribly upset, and I feel the need to get the word out about this fiasco so that no one has to go through what I have been through, and so that no one else runs the risk of losing their birds to gross USPS negligence and apathy.

Please be warned and please never use USPS for live animal shipments of any kind.

Hilary
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Hilary » Sun May 14, 2006 8:56 pm

God, Crystal, I'm so sorry! Hopefully with a full crew tomorrow they'll be able to track them down quickly. With any luck you had enough seed and moisture in the box to get them through the weekend. There's nothing worse than feeling helpless and dealing with people who just don't care. Scares me - I have a shipment coming next week! I'll keep my fingers crossed - please let us know what happens!

Hilary

Crystal
Brooding
Brooding

Post by Crystal » Sun May 14, 2006 9:03 pm

I hope you are going to use an airline for your shipment, since USPS might kill your birds. :/

Sally H
Fledgeling
Fledgeling

Post by Sally H » Mon May 15, 2006 7:55 am

I feel so terrible for you, Crystal. Are you home from LA? I'm so hoping the birds are delivered this morning.

tammieb
Brooding
Brooding

Post by tammieb » Mon May 15, 2006 1:46 pm

Crystal,

Horrible of them to be so uncaring. I feel like calling them again and telling them how * their customer service is. I hope this morning your birds have been located. Please let us know.

Side note... I've been waiting for a package that a friend shipped via USPS over three weeks ago. None of the people he's talked to at USPS seems to have a clue what's happened to the pkg. Although it didn't contain live animals it did involve a rather expensive and irreplaceable item making the situation irritating as hell. :((

USPS sucks!
TammieB.

Use the talents you possess - for the woods would be a very silent place if no birds sang except for the best. ~Henry Van Dyke~

Debbie
Pip
Pip

Post by Debbie » Mon May 15, 2006 2:47 pm

I'm very sorry to hear of your missing package. I always thought that you couldn't ship the birds and expect anything if something happened to them. Always heard they were uninsurable and the risk was yours.

Postal rules and regulations say:
Only the types of adult fowl or birds specifically named in
Domestic Mail Manual (DMM) CO22.3.3 and 3.4 are eligible
for mailing in domestic mail. No other types of adult birds
(including: canaries, emus, finches, parakeets, parrots, etc.)
may be sent through the mail. Postal standards covering the
mailability of adult birds are based on these factors:

........The humane consideration of the ability of the
............live animals to survive without food or water while in transit.
.........Possible health hazards to postal employees.
.........Possible damage to other mail and postal equipment.
........The ability of the Postal Service to cover the costs of >>>>>>>>>>>>providing service.

I hope you have luck in either finding them or being compensated though I fear they will not care because in their eyes the birds should have never been mailed.

Sally H
Fledgeling
Fledgeling

Post by Sally H » Mon May 15, 2006 3:29 pm

Money is, well...money. It seems precious most of the time but it's not. A great start to your plan to raise Owl finches with 2 beautiful pairs from seperate bloodlines is the real tradegy. As the day ticks on w/o word I'm hoping some relative of a post office worker is enjoying their new birds. The true irony to that scenario is I bet they find this site as a place to learn how to care for them.

I'm still praying they show up.

Crystal
Brooding
Brooding

Post by Crystal » Mon May 15, 2006 7:22 pm

Excellent news!!!

They arrived in Gainesville at 6:30 am this morning and I was able to pick them up after the post office opened...The best news of all: all four birds by some miracle survived! I think this speaks VOLUMES about the excellent quality of birds that Rob of socalfinches.com and Mary Delle of finefinches.com raise.

If these birds were anything less, I doubt they could have survived those four days in a box.

I have learned my lesson from this, though. I still will never ship live animals with USPS in the future since I never want to put any birds or any people through this situation again, but I am SO relieved that thinks worked out! I will post pictures of the new kids soon. They are surprisingly bright eyed and bushy tailed, and they have a lot to talk about!

Debbie
Pip
Pip

Post by Debbie » Mon May 15, 2006 7:29 pm

THAT'S WONDERFUL NEWS!!!!

tammieb
Brooding
Brooding

Post by tammieb » Mon May 15, 2006 7:31 pm

Terrific news!

It is amazing that they survived the journey. What did the clerk at the post office in Gainsville have to say when you explained the situation? Were they even aware of what had happened?
TammieB.

Use the talents you possess - for the woods would be a very silent place if no birds sang except for the best. ~Henry Van Dyke~

Sally H
Fledgeling
Fledgeling

Post by Sally H » Mon May 15, 2006 7:55 pm

Farout!!!

Hilary
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Hilary » Mon May 15, 2006 9:44 pm

YEA!!!!!!

I kept thinking about you during the day, wondering if they had shown up!! I'll bet they'll be getting extra TLC for the next couple of weeks!

Hilary

kscoleman
Pip
Pip

Post by kscoleman » Thu Jul 06, 2006 5:43 pm

Got all teared up reading your post but was elated to read far enough to see it all worked out. Now, where are those pics you promised! :lol:

tammieb
Brooding
Brooding

Post by tammieb » Thu Jul 06, 2006 7:31 pm

Look in the Species thread under "Owl Finches". I believe the photos have been posted there. If not, check out the Gallery in the menu above.
TammieB.

Hoji
Callow Courter
Callow Courter

GREAT!

Post by Hoji » Thu May 24, 2007 12:32 pm

I am so glad I didn't read this until after the birds arrived and were ok.
YEAH!!!!
---Hoji