NEVER SHIP USPS!

For "miscellaneous" finch-related questions.
okiebirds
Perfect Partner
Perfect Partner

Re: NEVER SHIP USPS!

Post by okiebirds » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:30 pm

I picked mine up tonight from USPS. The evening postal supervisor asked me what kind of birds they were. I told him Finches. He told me that Finches were illegal to ship (I had no idea) and was surprised that they werent returned back to the sender along the trip. But since they were here no big deal as far as he was concerned. He told me to be careful on any future shipping. Personally I was pleased with the outcome. I got my birds. They were healthy and unharmed =D>
Stan
GOULDIANS...we have a few :)

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:15 am

There seems to be no rhyme or reason with USPS. Some POs accept the package knowing it is finches, others say you cannot ship finches and will not accept them. The written regulations say that finches are not acceptable for shipment. Some of the bigger aviaries that ship birds all the time via USPS probably have a good working relationship with their local PO. I think the best thing is to check first. And for some people, airline shipping is not an option. Either they live hundreds of miles from a major airport, or they do have airline service, but many of the smaller regional aircraft cannot carry live animals/birds.
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

cindy
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Post by cindy » Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:20 am

Sally...this is interesting in regards to USPS. John and I sent birds back anf forth to each other. Early on I would call our local post office and ask if the weather permitted shipping birds, they asked what kind and they took my number said they had to call the Tampa office since that is were they would fly out of, they would call me back say yes and off the birds went to John. I did this twice, he shipped to me and I picked them up at a annex office near me. Both places here fully aware finches were in the box.

I wanted to ship John some zebras I had so he could get different bloodlines, I called and they went through the same routine and called me and said no...I decided to call the Tampa office myself it is a definate no in shipping out of Tampa. I was once told it depends on the director of the main office whether they over ride the rule or not, not sure how true that is. It was an overnight 8 to 10 hour trip by USPS to John's and visa versa. We have two airports here, the International and smaller on in Clearwater/St Pete....30 minutes from me, but $95 for shipping is steep unless you have quiet a few birds to ship.

Zebra, Gouldians, Java, CBM Shaft tail & Grasskeets

~ My Facebook groups ~

*Finchaholics ~ finches, hookbills, softbills & canaries are welcome here!
discussions regarding species, housing, breeding, preventatives, treatments

*Birdaholics ~ Avian Classified Ads Only

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:41 pm

I really wish the PO would get their act together. IMO, they should allow finches to be shipped. As I said before, many people live in small communities far away from any major airport, so airline shipping really isn't an option for them. If they can't ship USPS, then they are restricted to what is available in their local area (which is pretty dismal in some parts of the country).

When all the airlines went to using regional aircraft for so many of their routes, that even makes airline shipping problematic for some who live in a city with regional airline service. When I was checking out shipping from Baltimore to Dallas, two large cities, you would think it wouldn't be a problem. But Continental (all the airlines, actually) has put regional aircraft on so many routes that even though there were lots of flights, only a few could take live animals. Now not all regional aircraft are automatically exempt, it is just a few, but if that is the type aircraft that services your city, you are flat out of luck.

And $95 for airline shipping is out of the question for a few Zebras or Societies! I even try to combine shipments with a friend so that we don't both have to pay the full price. And we all need the option of shipping birds in order to get new bloodlines.
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

managermania
2 Eggs Laid
2 Eggs Laid

Post by managermania » Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:09 pm

Does UPS not ship live birds? They shipped the beluga whales in to the Georgia Aquarium. You would think some finches would not be a big a deal.
Chase

Normal & Fawn Owls, RT Parrots, Cherries, RF & YF Stars, BC Cordon Bleus, Cuban Melodious, Orange Cheeks, Gouldians, Shaftails, Senegal Fires, Normal & Fawn Diamond Fire Tails, White-headed Nuns , Goldbreasts, Societies, and Diamond Doves.

tajuano
Fledgeling
Fledgeling

Post by tajuano » Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:40 am

May be if most finch lovers would complain about the issue to the main office in DC then they would look at the request and change their policy, because not that many people using USPS due to internet. This would bring more work for them.

debbie276
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Post by debbie276 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:59 am

The reasons that the USPS gives for not shipping are for the animals protection RE: food and water issues. When you ship USPS you are actually breaking several regulations, they are not allowed to be shipped with food or water.
I would think if you tried to get them to decide and enforce the regulations they would stop ALL the illegal shipping that they allow now. :(
Debbie
long time breeder of lady gouldians:
Green
SF Pastel (SF Yellow)
Pastel (Yellow)
Blue
SF Pastel Blue (SF Yellow Blue)
Pastel Blue (Yellow Blue)

GREAT articles on avian lighting:
https://mickaboo.org/confluence/downloa ... ummary.pdf
http://www.naturallighting.com/cart/sto ... sc_page=56

cindy
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Post by cindy » Sat Apr 02, 2011 6:39 am

yet they allow for chickens and quail to be sent...the reason I was given is that finches and smaller birds are deliate and they don't want to be responsible.

~ My Facebook groups ~

debbie276
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Post by debbie276 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:41 am

chickens and quails can go without food and water for the duration of the trip which meets their requirements.
Not saying it's fair but they have reasons and I think any animal rights group will go nuts if they catch wind that they are shipping finches.
Debbie
long time breeder of lady gouldians:
Green
SF Pastel (SF Yellow)
Pastel (Yellow)
Blue
SF Pastel Blue (SF Yellow Blue)
Pastel Blue (Yellow Blue)

GREAT articles on avian lighting:
https://mickaboo.org/confluence/downloa ... ummary.pdf
http://www.naturallighting.com/cart/sto ... sc_page=56

cindy
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Post by cindy » Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:11 am

I am sure they know, look at the mass breeders that do it. They need to go after dog mills, there are more horrific things going on there.

~ My Facebook groups ~

JohnBoy
Weaning
Weaning

Post by JohnBoy » Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:22 am

It's been 3 years now that I have been getting birds through USPS. I have not experienced one bad incidence. Birds arrive safe and in great condition.
People Are The Ultimate Spectacle!
JohnBoy

Flight of Fancy
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by Flight of Fancy » Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:33 am

Reading through this I feel we are all taking turns beating a dead horse so to speak.

I have no experience shipping finches or canaries through USPS but when I had my chickens and stuff I shipped chicks to all the US states but Alaska and Hawaii and eggs to every state but Alaska. Eggs went out in the morning on the first truck. I brought in the day-old chicks and started birds (and on the rare occasion and adult) just in time for the last truck where my lovely local post office kept them inside in the air conditioning until the trucks were loaded. I also shipped the started birds with sliced apple or some other fruit for moisture. The chicks still had their yolk sacs so they were shipped without food or water.

Ursula
Proven
Proven

Post by Ursula » Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:10 pm

managermania wrote:Does UPS not ship live birds? They shipped the beluga whales in to the Georgia Aquarium. You would think some finches would not be a big a deal.
I don't think the beluga wales were shipped via a normal UPS truck... :lol: :lol: *LOL*
(Sorry, no offense... :-) But I had a mental picture there that just cracked me up. :mrgreen:)

I got my button quail shipped per USPS, and I was nervous like hell. The package was shipped "hold at the post office" and it had a giant note on it "please call addressee" but I had to call them anyway several times that morning when I knew it must have been there and could just prevent them from putting the quail on a hot delivery truck! I would NOT ship any birds with USPS, even if it was legal... :-(
Walk-in aviary with Waxbills (6 Cordon Bleu, 3 Orange Cheek, 3 Black-rumped, 1 Lavender, ), 1 European Goldfinch, 4 Gouldians, 2 Spice Finches, 6 Owl Finches, 4 Budgies and 2 male Button Quail.
I also have 2 parrotlets, 3 dogs, 1 snake and 3 freshwater fishtanks.

managermania
2 Eggs Laid
2 Eggs Laid

Post by managermania » Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:23 pm

Couldn't you see the Brown truck rolling through South Alabama coming from Mexico with a Beluga Whale tail hanging out of the back! :lol: But I think you're probably right. A pretty big fish bowl would have to be involved! :)
Chase

Normal & Fawn Owls, RT Parrots, Cherries, RF & YF Stars, BC Cordon Bleus, Cuban Melodious, Orange Cheeks, Gouldians, Shaftails, Senegal Fires, Normal & Fawn Diamond Fire Tails, White-headed Nuns , Goldbreasts, Societies, and Diamond Doves.

Ursula
Proven
Proven

Post by Ursula » Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:59 am

managermania wrote:Couldn't you see the Brown truck rolling through South Alabama coming from Mexico with a Beluga Whale tail hanging out of the back! :lol: But I think you're probably right. A pretty big fish bowl would have to be involved! :)
Did you ever do the behind the scenes tour at the aquarium? That's very interesting, and you can actually see the loading dock where the big whales were unloaded from the trucks. (And that's not a joke now... :-))
Walk-in aviary with Waxbills (6 Cordon Bleu, 3 Orange Cheek, 3 Black-rumped, 1 Lavender, ), 1 European Goldfinch, 4 Gouldians, 2 Spice Finches, 6 Owl Finches, 4 Budgies and 2 male Button Quail.
I also have 2 parrotlets, 3 dogs, 1 snake and 3 freshwater fishtanks.