New guy with new guy questions (border line dumb)

For "miscellaneous" finch-related questions.
bill2468
Pip
Pip

New guy with new guy questions (border line dumb)

Post by bill2468 » Tue May 16, 2006 9:02 pm

Hello, new guy here! (and maybe only guy :wink: )

When my girld friend and I went to Florida we visited "Butterfly World". The walk through aviary of butterflies was great, but what realy left a image in my mind was the walk through aviary with humming birds and the mosy unique colored finchs. Looking for a new hobby and I narrowed it down to birds but did not want the big noise/mess of parrots and remembered the small. almost silent finch.

I understand that they shy away from human contact but if I want to take pictures will holding a digital camera (not a big 35mm slr) in front of the open door spook them into a frenzy? :?

When it is time to clean cage do I need a little holding box as I have seen at Petco "critter box". It looks like a wire mesh lunch pail with a perch in it.

Rather than a bowl of water I like the verticle water feeders. They have a metal tube coming out at a angle and some have a ball of metal or plastic in them, is the one without a ball in the tube better for a finch.

Still procrasternating on buying the 18x18x30 cage and still looking for a local breeder.

Last question (for now).
Told to avoid inbreeding but when you but a pair from a pet shop or breed how do you know if they are or are not brother and sister? :roll:

BiLL
:)

JeannetteD
Mature
Mature

Post by JeannetteD » Tue May 16, 2006 9:30 pm

Hi Bill!

No question is a dumb question. Belive me.. that or everyone's been lying to my everytime I post a question. hee hee..

I'll let you in on my opinions and keep in mind I am pretty new to finches myself, having only started this hobby since Oct 2005.

My experience with finches and their anxiety is this so far... They're a bunch of adrenaline junkies that spook at the slightest movement. LOL. My australian finches are pretty calm. And by calm I mean I can put my hand int he cage and they'll just fly to the other side. My african finches on the other hand are spastic! They're far worse as far as jumpiness goes. Unless you hand feed a finch (and that's another chore all together and not recommended unless it's dire circumstances and you're ready for a really big responsibility) most finches will never really tame.

I've tried pointing a camera at them and my only success is when they corner themselves and I snap a shot quickly. However, there are references online on how to construct a 'photo box' that hides you from the bird. So while they're sitting there all prettyand dont notice you, you're snapping shots left, right and centre and they're none the wiser for it. I'm waiting to construct one myself.

If you want to clean the entire cage from top to bottom, I do recommend removing them to a smaller holding cage while you do so. It's just easier on their nerves and less stressful for you too.

I made the mistake of using the containers that come with the cages and now all my birds drink and bathe out of it. I bought a waterbottle and they ignore it. I have however, acquired some black cheek female zebras from a breeder nearby, and she uses waterbottles. So her two birds that I purchased from her, are teaching mine how to use it. I'm hoping that my entire flock of birds will learn to drink from the bottle and then I can switch over to those too.

I'd get the 18x18x30 cage. However, you can only put one pair of finches in a cage that size, and that's more of a 'breeder' cage size. If you can get larger, go for it!

Besides.. we know you'll want MORE when you get some, so you'll need room for the others that you are going to buy.

hee hee
Jeannette

Hilary
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Hilary » Tue May 16, 2006 9:48 pm

Bill -

Welcome! I think how shy the birds are will depend on what type (as Jeannette said) and how used to you they are. My zebras, societies and gouldians basically act like I'm not there, even when I'm reaching in the cage to change out food/water dishes.

For basic cleaning I don't worry about taking the birds out. I change the paper under the grate a couple of times a week (just pull out the tray and dump!), and once a week use Poop Off to wipe down the rest of the cage. (Others will have other advice on that one!)

Good luck - you'll have to let us know what you get!

Hilary

Crystal
Brooding
Brooding

Post by Crystal » Tue May 16, 2006 9:48 pm

Bill, I know exactly what kind of critter holding box you are talking about because I bought one for carrying my birds---only to find that the top-loading door was pretty large and predisposes the birds to escape from the cage whenever it is opened (i.e. when you try to retrieve the birds).

Some 18x18x30 cages come with a removeable center divider. This is an option to make it easier to clean the cage (one half at a time)--shooing the birds to one side of the cage, putting the divider in place, and cleaning the half of the cage without birds in it, then repeating for the other side of the cage. It may be easier than trying to catch the birds each time you want to scrub perches, etc. However, if the entire cage needs to be bleached and hosed down, you will need to take the birds out first, so a second smaller holding cage is a good investment--I just suggest getting one with doors low and on the side of the cage, instead of on the top of the cage, to help prevent escapes.

The pet store clerk(s) may be able to tell you where the birds came from; if they came from different breeders, they may be able to pull you a pair that is unrelated; however, some pet stores (such as petsmart) do not know which breeders their birds came from, and yet other stores may give out incorrect information regarding the birds they carry, so in order to get a truly unrelated pair, you should try to purchase from one or more breeders that you feel are reliable.

What species of finches were you thinking of starting off with?

bill2468
Pip
Pip

Post by bill2468 » Tue May 16, 2006 10:35 pm

I will go with the Zebra Finch, sounds like it is the finch with the training wheels for first timers. :roll:

The thought of a cage 18x18x30 for just 2 birds makes me see a 16 oz. can of peas with only 2 peas in it!

I have a wall unit for my t.v. and stero that comes up to my shoulders so I will be able to put the cage on this so they will be just above eye level and thus they will not feel over powered by my presence.

Tempted to build a cage but my 8 extra thumbs just laugh at me when I consider the idea.

I am looking to sell my house and get a 3 room coop so unless a walk in aviary can hold my couch and t.v. it is out of the question.

A book shelf plexi fishtank sounds good (some vent holes added to ends and a mesh tank cover would be great for photography. When a flash is used at a angle it will reflect of the tank at the same angle but away from the camera but still light the interior.

BiLL

Am the only guy that likes birds :?: :?

Sally H
Fledgeling
Fledgeling

Post by Sally H » Tue May 16, 2006 11:00 pm

No, you are not the only guy into finches. But it seems its us girls who like to surf the forums the most. I am at work so talking about finches is the next best thing to being with them.

FYI about removing to clean...I am still afraid of catching finches. When they move to the big flight cage I'll be able to use a net and when they were in the small transport/quarantine cage, catching them wasn't too awful. But the other day I had to catch my male zebra to put a band on his leg so I could tell him apart from his sons. I have them in a 30 x 18 x 18 with a divider and it was too big to trap him easily. I was pretty wigged out and about to give up when he escaped. It was alot easier to catch him then...he landed on the floor and let me pick him up..probably from pure exaustion. Plus it's their home and besides knowing your intrusion means food, they pretty much like you to stay out of it.

I photograph them through the open cage door. Put a nice natural perch in a corner, focus the camera on that and wait for them to perch on it. They'll be flitting around perch to perch because you're near the cage but they won't necessarily be upset. Wait for your shot.

tammieb
Brooding
Brooding

Post by tammieb » Tue May 16, 2006 11:19 pm

Hi Bill, welcome to the forum.

Zebras make an excellent starter finch. Societies as well, but they are difficult to sex so if you are interested in breeding I would go with the zebs. Just be sure you know what you are getting into before allowing them to breed. A pair of finches can quickly become a dozen if you're not careful!

Always get the largest cage you can afford and accomodate. Placing the cage up high is a great idea as they do like looking down on us. :) The 18x18x30 cage may seem overly spacious for just two little birds but keep in mind all the stuff you will be wanting to put in there. Don't go crazy and stuff it full... they like to zip back and forth from one end to the other so give them a flight path. Don't place perches above food/water dishes.

And when cleaning the cage, do NOT take the cage and birds outdoors to hose it down. My sis-in-law did that once and a bird escaped, never to be seen again, it undoubtedly died come winter (if not before).

If you can't locate a breeder near you, buy each bird from a different pet store, that'll increase your chances of getting unrelated birds.

Don't hesitate to ask any question... we won't laugh. ;)
TammieB.

Use the talents you possess - for the woods would be a very silent place if no birds sang except for the best. ~Henry Van Dyke~

kenny
Weaning
Weaning

Post by kenny » Tue Jul 25, 2006 7:26 pm

hi bill
you are not alone in bbeing a male and liking breeding finches i have beeb breeding them a while now and would not be without them as i wouldnt know what to do with myself if i didnt have them

ken :wink:
you can always tell a yorkshireman,but you cant tell him much