Banding colors, what's your method for record keeping?

For "miscellaneous" finch-related questions.
JennFromMichigan
Pip
Pip

Banding colors, what's your method for record keeping?

Post by JennFromMichigan » Thu Aug 03, 2006 12:03 pm

Hello to all. I am a 'newbie' but am having luck with a breeding pair of Gouldians. I'm not sure how to phrase this but I'll give it a try. I have been keeping excellent records of my babies, BUT as they colour out and some are the same, I don't know who's who! (Ok, not entirely true but I know it's gonna get harder when they're completely coloured up.) That brings me to using coloured bands. Does anyone have a good method of using colour to easily identify their babies? Thanks much for your time and I appreciate any and all ideas!

Sally H
Fledgeling
Fledgeling

Post by Sally H » Thu Aug 03, 2006 5:58 pm

I bought numbered plastic split bands in four different colors from L $ M.

I haven't got started on my owl breeding program but the plan is to use a different color for each pairs' clutch. I hadn't decided how to mark the sexes, some put the band on the left leg for males or just add another band or record the numbers (but that's kinda hard to read as they flit around). I just want to be as sure as possible that any pairs of offspring I get are unrelated.

JennFromMichigan
Pip
Pip

Post by JennFromMichigan » Thu Aug 03, 2006 9:18 pm

Thanks Sally for the numbered bands idea. I think I will use those. Good luck with the owls. I too thought about getting owls because they are so beautiful and have a sweet song, but decided on the Gouldians for all the colour possibilities! Good luck to you! I would love to hear how it goes with your breeding too!

Carmen
Nestling
Nestling

Post by Carmen » Fri Aug 04, 2006 6:58 am

Hi,

Plastic bands are nice, do not use metal bands, because these can cause injuries.
Also be sure the size is OK. When the band is to big he can stuck at the beginning of the leg, the thigh.
I had this once with a Spice Finch. The feathers were gone where the band was stuck and it was bleeding.

So make shure you have the right size :wink:
Carmen