Newbie to finch behavior

For "miscellaneous" finch-related questions.
NDan
Nestling
Nestling

Newbie to finch behavior

Post by NDan » Tue Aug 08, 2006 6:45 pm

I recently adopted 4 society finches from a petstore (they had hatched there so they couldn't sell them). These are my first ever finches.
I finally figured out there are 2 boys and 2 girls. You can imagine that they are going to try and nest.
I had taken the one egg out of the nest that was laid 2 weeks ago. Now she is laying again and I took another out.
When I went to check the nest this morning, I was about to tip it and realized that the hen was NOT moving out of the nest. She pretty much gave me the birdy eye and told me to get lost.
I guess I have a few questions on how to handle this. Is there any reason I could let them hatch out these eggs? They are all from the same hatching so I didn't think it was a very good idea. Can I substitute fake eggs (from where) and not make the hens crazed?
I suppose I will have to separate the hens and cocks, although I dislike limiting their space. I am buildling a flight cage for them now.
I've been very reluctant to remove their nest since they always sleep in it every night together. One of my birdies has malformed toes and can't roost very good.
Ideas are welcome.

Thanks

Hilary
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Hilary » Tue Aug 08, 2006 7:47 pm

Welcome! I love my little societies, too. I keep wicker tube-type nests in their flight cage - it gives them a chance to roost, but any eggs roll out and break on the bottom of the cage. I feel guilty as all get-out, but don't have to worry about chicks, and eventually the hens take a break from laying when they figure out that it's futile. I definitely would NOT let these 4 breed if they're all siblings. Better to get a pair that you know aren't related if you want to experience the fun of chicks (probably of something other than societies if you're going to keep everybody together so you know who is doing what!).

Good luck!

Hilary

tammieb
Brooding
Brooding

Post by tammieb » Tue Aug 08, 2006 8:29 pm

You are correct in thinking these related birds should not be allowed to breed. Nests like the one Hilary mentioned will do the dirty deed of getting rid of the eggs for you. Also, you might consider trying a sleeping platform or "sun deck".

They look like this, Image and will subsitute nicely for the nests.

You can buy fake eggs at most pet stores or online. I have never used them so can't say if they deter the hens from laying.
TammieB.

Use the talents you possess - for the woods would be a very silent place if no birds sang except for the best. ~Henry Van Dyke~

Sally H
Fledgeling
Fledgeling

Post by Sally H » Tue Aug 08, 2006 11:10 pm

Jeannette D made her own eggs with oven-baked modeling clay. Clever girl!

kenny
Weaning
Weaning

Post by kenny » Wed Aug 09, 2006 4:56 am

hi all
the wicker tubes you mentioned ..if they are put on a slant the eggs will not roll out......with regards to the societies they should not be breeding with thier siblings ...but try telling them that...a lot of the societies just for future reference ...due to close breeding have deformed feet mostly the feet turn inwards but it does not seem to stop them from breeding....also another trait of close breeding is baldness on the breast and sometimes lumps this also seems to do no harm as i have a 6 year old crested cock bird who has been bald on his breast since he was born and he has reared quite a few chicks .....but all societies tend to sleep in the same nest on a night time as this is where they get thier name from i have had up to 12 in a nest and they have still reared chicks succesfully

http://s15.photobucket.com/albums/a368/ ... h=imgAnch8

ken
you can always tell a yorkshireman,but you cant tell him much

tammieb
Brooding
Brooding

Post by tammieb » Wed Aug 09, 2006 6:13 am

If you hang those tube style wicker nests in a certain way, the eggs will most certainly roll out. Do not give them nesting material, just the tube nest.

IMO, It is your duty as a bird keeper to prevent related birds from breeding, especially those with known defects.

Either remove the nests or remove the eggs daily.
TammieB.

Use the talents you possess - for the woods would be a very silent place if no birds sang except for the best. ~Henry Van Dyke~

NDan
Nestling
Nestling

Post by NDan » Wed Aug 09, 2006 9:29 am

I don't think I've seen the tube type nest. Sounds like a possibility. I have no intention of letting these 4 breed. I just get suckered in when they are so industriously taking care of it. I think I should give them a substitute or something. I was thinking I could make some eggs. Is their sense of smell that accepting?
I would like to trade my 2 boys for some birds from another family just to make sure no accidents happen but I can't locate any breeders in my area.
But according to what you are saying probably none of them should breed since the deformity occured in their generation.
Is that correct?

I guess my flight cage will be divided in 2. :(

Hilary
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Hilary » Wed Aug 09, 2006 12:48 pm

I added a pic of the tube-style nest to the gallery (unfortunately it ended up under "adult birds" - not intentionally!!). I get mine from www.birdandcage.com. My waxbills actually do nest in them, but I give them nesting material to keep the eggs from rolling out! :) The rest of my birds love to roost in them at night.

Hilary

kenny
Weaning
Weaning

Post by kenny » Wed Aug 09, 2006 5:09 pm

hi ndan
this is one of the pitfalls of breeding to close this bird is 6 years old and the feathers on its breast have nevsr grown and its feet are slightly tuned inward

http://s15.photobucket.com/albums/a368/ ... =imgAnch43

ken
you can always tell a yorkshireman,but you cant tell him much