Advice on Adding finches

For "miscellaneous" finch-related questions.
NDan
Nestling
Nestling

Advice on Adding finches

Post by NDan » Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:46 am

I would like to add another pair to my 4 society finches after I get my flight cage built. I am wondering if another type of finch would be similarly easy to care for or if I just need to get 2 more societys.
I would like to add 2 Gouldians as they are such a touch of color. Do they require much more attention and care?
I found a breeder close enough to visit!

kenny
Weaning
Weaning

Post by kenny » Tue Aug 15, 2006 6:52 am

i am afraid they are at the other end of the scale with regards to caring.you may be better off getting a pair of zebras or something else that would need less intensive care but if your heart is set on it make sure you read up as much as you can about there care before you buy and ask the person they are coming from how they are fed etc.it is always best to get the knowledge first before you buy then it doesnt come so hard when you get the actual birds.

ken
you can always tell a yorkshireman,but you cant tell him much

zookeeper
Flirty Bird
Flirty Bird

Post by zookeeper » Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:15 am

Oh good heavens. Kenny's not kidding -- you have to fight tooth and nail 24 hours a day to keep Gouldians alive.

You could try spice finches which are easy-care and have a beautiful voice.

Star finches would add the touch of color you're looking for, and I have not had too much trouble with them so I don't think they're difficult.

tammieb
Brooding
Brooding

Post by tammieb » Tue Aug 15, 2006 1:35 pm

Perhaps I'm just having beginner's luck, but I have found my Gouldians to be no more demanding than the other birds I keep. I haven't tried breeding them yet, so that might turn out to be a different story. But so far, so good.

If you want Goulds I say go for it. As always, start out with the healthiest birds you can find.
TammieB.

Use the talents you possess - for the woods would be a very silent place if no birds sang except for the best. ~Henry Van Dyke~

NDan
Nestling
Nestling

Post by NDan » Tue Aug 15, 2006 2:17 pm

I suppose its a bit silly, but I was looking for another seed eater. I think I am a bit squeamish about feeding insects.
I will if I need to but on a steady basis...
I'm not too concerned if they breed or not. Might be fun to go through one time but I'm not anxious to find homes for lots of little birds. Not sure of the market around here.
I think I'll try and visit this lady's aviary and see what she says. Would be great fun in any case.
She also breeds owl finches, star and some others.

Sally H
Fledgeling
Fledgeling

Post by Sally H » Tue Aug 15, 2006 6:09 pm

I agree with Tammy. Goulds from a reputable breeder shouldn't be anymore care than a zebra (cept the extra iodine thing). There's lots of inbreeding to produce different colors and then there's the whole fostering debate thing so you do read alot about people using vitamins and antibiotics etc as additives to their goulds diets.

Oh, and the first molt can be fatal so buy fully colored birds.

kenny
Weaning
Weaning

Post by kenny » Tue Aug 15, 2006 6:26 pm

hi ndan
there are lots of lovely looking seedeaters out there.if you can obtain them some of the weavers are lovely a lot of waxbills breed quite freely and alot of mannakins are easier to maintain.....but if your hert is set on them then make sure you heed the advice of all the people on here who keep them as the only thing to loose out will be the birds if you end up not being able to give them the care they require

ken
you can always tell a yorkshireman,but you cant tell him much

zookeeper
Flirty Bird
Flirty Bird

Post by zookeeper » Tue Aug 15, 2006 7:22 pm

Tammie and Sally, I hate you both. Just kidding. I will be extremely happy when the day comes that I find a source for healthy, lively gouldians. In the meantime I'll keep struggling along with the few I've managed to find -- until they drop dead, of course.

Hilary
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Hilary » Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:13 pm

My goulds are fat and happy (knock on wood). The only difference between their care and the rest is that I add iodine a couple of times a week, and I've been told not to give them veggies as often as the others (not that I always heed that advice). If you can find healthy ones, I say go for it. Just do as suggested and read up so you're prepared when they molt.

Hilary