aggression

For "miscellaneous" finch-related questions.
Deb

aggression

Post by Deb » Wed Feb 22, 2006 2:07 am

I have recently purchased a mature pair of Star Finches, they are lovely birds, however all they seem to do is fight with one another. Is this a common thing?

Crystal
Brooding
Brooding

Post by Crystal » Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:23 am

I have not owned star finches, so I cannot really comment on their normal behavior towards each other, but in all of the reading I have done on the species, I have not seen anything mentioned about them being prone to aggressive behavior (in general) as a species.

There are exceptions to every rule, however, so it is possible you have purchased birds which are more aggressive than usual.

In either case, what I can offer are a few tips for reducing the aggression:

http://www.finchinfo.com/housing.htm#aggression

Good luck and let me know if you are able to resolve their fighting!

-Crystal

tammieb
Brooding
Brooding

Post by tammieb » Wed Feb 22, 2006 3:26 pm

Hi Deb,

Here's a link to one of the websites I visit. They have a bit of info on Stars. http://www.socalfinches.com/Star_Finche ... nches.html

Here's an Austrailian site that offers more info.
http://www.finchsociety.org/fsa/stars/stars.htm

Hope that helps.

TammieB.

JeannetteD
Mature
Mature

Post by JeannetteD » Thu Feb 23, 2006 12:57 am

I dont have any Stars either, but I do have a couple of lavender waxbills that were pecking at each other all the time, and one plucked the feathers off the others neck. They got along GREAT for a long time, and then one day they started fighting. We separated them for a month and then tried again. They got along better after the separation but started again about 1 month later.

We separated them again, and then rejoined them again and this time they stopped fighting and actually started 'cuddling'.

Now they are in a larger cage with 7 other birds and they dont leave each others' side. They're stuck like glue to each other and it's been about 3 months now. I wouldnt mind them being so affectionate to each other if I knew they were opposite sexes! Grumbles.. That's another story..

Jeannette

Sally H
Fledgeling
Fledgeling

Post by Sally H » Fri Mar 10, 2006 1:12 am

Lavender finches leaped of the screen at me when I was looking at pictures of the different species of finches.

Then I did some research and joined the lavendars group and found out you can only have lavendars based on very complicated genetics :(

You have to have been born Canadian to find them hehe

JeannetteD
Mature
Mature

Complicated genetics?

Post by JeannetteD » Fri Mar 10, 2006 7:38 pm

Sorry, Sally.. I'm not sure what you mean.

Lavender waxbills are a species of finch. Estrilda carulescens (I think I spelled that correctly). I have 3 of them now, but I'm looking for more.

Perhaps you mean, they are difficult to breed? And boy are they!

You might be able to find them at your local pet store, or if you're lucky you might find a breeder near you!

Jeannette

tammieb
Brooding
Brooding

Post by tammieb » Fri Mar 10, 2006 8:01 pm

Jeannette you silly girl. Sally meant you have to live in Canada in order to get lavenders.
:P

JeannetteD
Mature
Mature

Post by JeannetteD » Fri Mar 10, 2006 10:48 pm

DOH!!!

I didn't see the last line of her message!! LMAO..

So sorry.. They're grey hairs, I swear!

Jeannette