finches and canaries?

For "miscellaneous" finch-related questions.
Winston
Hatchling
Hatchling

finches and canaries?

Post by Winston » Sun Feb 26, 2006 7:28 pm

I'd like to get a canary, but I don't know if finches and canaries would mix well. I currently have thirteen finches in an 8' long outdoor flight cage. Has anyone tried this? I'm not sure which variety I would be getting, as I know almost nothing about canaries except that they sing well, and that they're "true finches"?

Crystal
Brooding
Brooding

Post by Crystal » Sun Feb 26, 2006 10:41 pm

I have read that it tends to work out well, especially if the finches are big enough or have the personality to not feel intimidated by the slightly larger stature of the canaries. As long as the dietary/housing/etc. requirements of all the birds are being met (8' outdoor aviary sounds fabulous), and you are prepared to separate any birds that refuse to get along, I doubt you'll run into any problems.

The only advice I can really offer is to still do the things you would (should) do whenever you introduce any new bird to a group of established finches: quarantine the new arrival first (for at least 6-8 weeks preferably) to make sure it isn't sick, and on they day you are ready to introduce the newcomer, consider catching up all of the finches and rearranging the enclosure a little bit, so that when you release all of the finches + the new arrival simultaneously, it will feel as if they are all being placed in a "new" cage together. This tends to eliminate the majority of territorial bickering that might otherwise take place. Of course this might not be necessary depending on the types of finches you currently have (if you happen to know they are accepting of new arrivals), and it also might not be necessary when introducing canaries (my understanding is that they are usually large enough that most finches don't try to harass them).

HOWEVER I hope someone else on this forum who has actually housed both types of birds together would share their experiences, as I am only telling you what I've read; I only had one pair of canaries a long time ago and never tried housing them with the finches. So I am also curious to hear what others have to say about this subject as well.

tammieb
Brooding
Brooding

Post by tammieb » Thu Mar 09, 2006 8:46 pm

I recently had to separate my canary hens. I didn't want another cage housing just one bird, so I decided to put the more timid of the two in my 6'L x 7'T x 3'D flight cage. This flight housed four gouldians, two strawberries, two shaft-tails, two societies and two cb's. The first week the 12 birds, which had been together for years, didn't want anything to do with the canary. WeeGee, (as canaries are apt to do), kept her distance also. She basically took over the main perch at one end and the 12 roosted on the opposite end. During this first week the original 12 were unsettled by her presence.... they were easily startled and would not share a perch with the canary.

It has been nearly a month and everyone now gets along fine. WeeGee continues to keep to herself, preferring to sit/sleep in a grapevine wreath, rather than with the other birds. The 12 no longer keep their distance, they will land on a perch next to her and etc. I have yet to see them share a seed hopper but they will fly down to eat the fresh veggies and etc. next to her.

I never saw WeeGee as much as peck at any of the other birds. No fighting whatsoever.

My once timid & quiet canary hen is now singing and vocalizing as much, if not more than the more dominant Greta. So now I am treated to two singing canaries. :D

Winston
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by Winston » Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:47 pm

Thanks a lot Tammie for sharing your experience. I have some questions...

Do you provide separate food for the canary?

And also, you said the hen sings. I thought only male canaries could sing... :?:

Congratulations on your success mixing the birds. I hope to be as lucky when/if I do decide to add a canary to the bunch, as catching them can be so difficult with these larger enclosures.

tammieb
Brooding
Brooding

Post by tammieb » Fri Mar 10, 2006 12:02 am

Male canaries sing far better then the hens and not all hens will sing. I lucked out and got two that do. I actually thought one of them was a cock bird til it began laying eggs six months after I got it! LOL

I have four seed hoppers in my flight cage. One of them contains a canary mix. WeeGee mainly eats from this hopper, but on occasion visits the other three. I sometimes catch one of the other 12 checking out the canary mix but they prefer their own.

My canaries are willing to try any type of food at least once and are eager to do so. They are good teacher birds in my opinion. I wouldn't hesitate to have one in my flight provided it is large enough. I'm pushing the limit on my flight's capacity. It should only house 12, but 13 hasn't been a problem yet. I must add that this is a non-breeding flight. If I decide to breed any of my pairs I will move them to a cage of their own.

I totally agree... it is difficult to catch a particular bird in a large enclosure. I debated for a week before finally deciding to move the canary into the flight as I didn't want to disturb the peace and then have to really shake things up by attempting to catch the canary.

Lucky for me they are getting along.

TammieB.

Winston
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by Winston » Fri Mar 10, 2006 10:48 am

Thanks! :)