Questions about Euroepean Gold Finch

For "miscellaneous" finch-related questions.
cindandrews
Pip
Pip

Questions about Euroepean Gold Finch

Post by cindandrews » Sun Oct 15, 2006 3:54 pm

I am getting a single Euroepean Goldfinch Male they believe is male. There looks to be nothing wrong, in fact he looks and acts quite healthy. Thing is does anyone think that he can get along with any of my society finches that I have now, or should this one be by itself and in its own cage? It is a very beautiful Finch and I could get some orange cheeked finches or I cant remember the other kind so he has a mate or freind. Just for info if no one cares at all or not, I have also reiceved a pair of Colbalt blue love birds they are the funniest and most interesting birds to watch. [/b]

tammieb
Brooding
Brooding

Post by tammieb » Sun Oct 15, 2006 5:13 pm

From what little I've read on this speices I believe I would keep it in a cage alone but near the other birds so it has some company. Here's a site you may find interesting, http://www.finchworld.com/Birds/Finch/E ... omasK.html It seems they require a particular diet which may be difficult to offer if you house it with the societies, but if you are set on trying then give it a go.
TammieB.

Use the talents you possess - for the woods would be a very silent place if no birds sang except for the best. ~Henry Van Dyke~

Dario78
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by Dario78 » Sun Oct 15, 2006 7:43 pm

The European Goldfinch is a common wild bird here..I see them flying many many times here around my house ! :D
His Italian name is "Cardellino" cause this bird eat usually the seeds of a plant called "Cardo".
There is who dreams of rich, powerful or famous being, my dream instead would be of being like a celebre ornithologist... that loved to be called simply "John Gould, the man of the birds"
My Pics on Flickr - Look for me on facebook (Dario Corea)

cindandrews
Pip
Pip

Thank you

Post by cindandrews » Mon Oct 16, 2006 9:20 am

Thank you Tammie and Dario for answering me. I love this site everyone is pretty quick to reply and freindly.
Have a great day you two.
Cindy Andrews

jonvill
Amateur Architect
Amateur Architect

Post by jonvill » Mon Oct 16, 2006 5:38 pm

Hi Cindy,
European Goldfinches are not very social birds like most finches.
They are best housed in a cage all to themselves.
While both sexes sing, the males are the best singers!
You can tell males from females by the amount of red on the mask and the black on the head and wing butts.
Their diet is small wild seeds, canary seed, thistle (nyjer), sunflower and safflower seed and fresh greens (they love dandelion seed heads). It's not easy to keep this finch in captivity, even with the best diet they often die due to other causes.
(Dario, I think cardo is called teazel in English.)

jonvill
Amateur Architect
Amateur Architect

Post by jonvill » Mon Oct 16, 2006 6:03 pm

I have to correct myself....
Cardo is Italian for thistle not teazel.