LEG BANDS, RINGS AND SUCH, QUESTION...

For "miscellaneous" finch-related questions.
finchmix22
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: LEG BANDS, RINGS AND SUCH, QUESTION...

Post by finchmix22 » Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:26 am

You can order breeder numbered bands online. I think it is Red bird products? I'll check and let you know.
http://www.redbirdproducts.com/
Here is the link and they ship to Canada.
DEBORAH

KarenB
Proven
Proven

Post by KarenB » Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:18 pm

Lol, it's really more like, Please :-SS :-SS :-SS put ALL of your toes in this ring, not just the longest one!
KarenB

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Mon Oct 13, 2014 3:37 pm

KarenB
I can see it being quite an experience. It's going to be, grab birds into small travelling cage and hightail it into the small washroom. That way, if there are any escapes, at least they can't go too far. Just have to remember rolled mat at doie bottom, tape around air vents, and for heaven's sake, put the tiilet cover down!
So I'm going to try pink on all the girls. Blue on all the boys. Then what? Put a certain colour (let's say green) on all the chicks from this first litter? So I'll have 3 greens. How will I know in the future that they belong to Jaxom and Mirrim? Do I have to put green rings on the parents too? What happens with the next clutch, if they have one? Do they all go green as well? ?? ~X(

~Elana~
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Mon Oct 13, 2014 3:40 pm

finchmix22
Thanks Deborah.
I Will definitely have to look at that site. Looks like they have lots of goodies. Da-da-da---da-da-dahhhhhh!! Charge it!!! LoL!!!

~Elana~
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

KarenB
Proven
Proven

Post by KarenB » Mon Oct 13, 2014 5:55 pm

If you never plan to split that pair up or re pair them with different mates, yes, you could, say, make that pair green and then put green bands on the chicks on a designated leg for family, plus however you want to identify them individually.

Say you have three chicks in a clutch and you have designated their parents as green. You put the green on one leg and then put on a second color on the other, or however you can remember what color means what for that individual bird. I do babies as white, then yellow, then orange, then green, etc. in fledge order to distinguish individual birds. So that first bird's colors will be green on one leg and white on top/bottom of that, or opposite leg. That is to distinguish individual birds in a clutch.

When that first bird breeds with another bird later on, that pair will be white and whatever the other bird's color is. Then their babies will have white and whatever, plus their individual color, and so on. It can get complicated as you go down the line with colors, but there are so many combos you can use.

Is that clear as mud? Lol
KarenB

KarenB
Proven
Proven

Post by KarenB » Mon Oct 13, 2014 5:58 pm

AND/OR......You could use blue for boys and pink for girls :)
KarenB

finchmix22
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by finchmix22 » Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:27 pm

KarenB
You can buy the dual-color bands, which prevents the poor little finch legs from being covered with different colored bands. So, you have to plan a little. Say that pair A is red, pair B is yellow, pair C orange and pair D is purple. Then, the offspring of A will pair with offspring of B and so the babies from parent A and parent B get red/yellow split bands. The offspring from parent C and parent D get orange/purple split bands. Eventually, you might repeat a pattern, but you can keep track somewhat using this method.

I tried a more complicated way in the past, but it became too hard to track. So, now I buy the bands that are two colors on one band. Makes it a lot easier. For boys and girls, they get a temporary blue or pink band while in the parents' cage and then they get the family split band when they move to the juvenile cage.
DEBORAH

KarenB
Proven
Proven

Post by KarenB » Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:46 pm

finchmix22 Yeah, I was going to go into that, but I was on the bus on my cell phone, and then I had to transfer to another bus and just hit send, LOL
KarenB

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:23 pm

KarenB & finchmix22

Getting more and more confusing. Makes me think of Spanish family names; mother's, father's, grandfather, grandmother. .....and so forth and so forth..... and then you get married, and then.....

Only three fledglings right now, we'll see how it goes. If I manage the babes, I'll try for the parents. I'm also keeping written records, so hopefully will be able to keep up with it. Or not :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

~Elana~
~Elana~

Colt
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Colt » Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:03 pm

Oh this can get really muddy...

I have several different systems I use depending on where the bird came from.

Currently I'm not using the NFSS close bands (shame on me). I really do need to order them, but I'm using split colored plastic bands to keep track of bloodlines.

So for instance I'll use my Gouldian pairs as an example:

YH PB GB/BB x RH PB GB/BB - I know he's split banded pink off the top of my head I can't remember what color band she came with, but all their chicks are banded with pink split bands. If I wanted to mark which clutch they came from I'd use another band color to keep up with that.

My RH PB GB x BH WB GB - Both banded with red, so all their chicks are banded red.

BH PB sfGB x BH PB GB - Black bands, chicks banded with black

So just by looking at the band colors I can pair birds that are unrelated to sell to interested parties or pair up to breed. Also I know none of my original birds are related. Now if I keep any of the babies to use in the breeding program I'll have to watch and be much more careful pairing birds to ensure they aren't related.

Amethyst Starling
BF and RT Parrot Finch
Chestnut-breasted Mannikin
Lady Gouldian
Owl Finch
Shaft-tail Finch
Society Finch
Star Finch
Strawberry
Tri-colored Nun
Zebra Finch
Diamond Dove
Bourke & Scarlet-chested Parakeet

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Brushy-C ... 0659711916

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Tue Oct 14, 2014 1:20 am

~X( ~X( Haven't even got the bands yet and already going a little 8-} :-S 8-} :-S 8-} :-S
~Elana~

MiaCarter
Molting
Molting

Post by MiaCarter » Tue Oct 14, 2014 1:37 am

lovezebs - I know the feeling!

I found it especially hard because I ordered band colors just by what colors I happened to like -- mostly blues and pinks.
In other words, not gender-neutral colors.

In picking colors to apply, I realized I didn't want to put a pink band on a boy (though the blues I picked could work nicely on a girl.) And I didn't want to wait months to determine gender!

So I ended up using most of the gender neutral colors that came on the random multi-color strand of bands. I'll be getting a few more of those for sure!

I was also applying on gouldians, so I had to pick colors that would look nice with their adult plumage; no clashing allowed!

So just keep those things in mind when you pick out colors.
I'd do at least a couple of the multi-color packs, whether you get them at the store as beads or order bands online.

I was also bummed to find that although I ordered the narrow bands, I couldn't fit two on one leg. So I had to do one on each leg which is HATE. I'll probably correct it in the future, if possible. Their lower legs are rather short!
I probably could have applied both onto one leg if they were super still. But they were all rather wiggly which made it tough.
Humum to....
13 Zebra Finches....and 2 squeeps!
3 Society Finches
6 Gouldians
1 Weaver
1 Pintail Whydah
2 Cockatiels
2 Parakeets

....along with 1 MinPin, 1 Pug, 1 JRT, 1 Yorkie, 2 Chihuahuas and 15 cats.

www.PetFinchFacts.com

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Tue Oct 14, 2014 1:55 am

MiaCarter
Oh dear God... #-o [-o<
~Elana~

Colt
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Colt » Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:18 pm

I also meant to post these little jewels I found on the finch information center (linked over there <----) that have simply been wonderful for keeping things straight without having to try to make my own excel spread sheet...

http://www.finchinfo.com/breeding/leg_b ... eeping.php

Scroll all the way down. There's a pdf for an individual bird record and one for breeding pairs and keeping up with offspring.

Amethyst Starling
BF and RT Parrot Finch
Chestnut-breasted Mannikin
Lady Gouldian
Owl Finch
Shaft-tail Finch
Society Finch
Star Finch
Strawberry
Tri-colored Nun
Zebra Finch
Diamond Dove
Bourke & Scarlet-chested Parakeet

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Brushy-C ... 0659711916

Sam007
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Sam007 » Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:23 pm

Interesting pdfs. Thanks for sharing.
I love Gouldian Finches.