Budgies and finches

For "miscellaneous" finch-related questions.

Should i put budgies and finches together

Yes
13%
No
87%

Total votes: 15

Luke Harrison1992
Hatchling
Hatchling

Budgies and finches

Post by Luke Harrison1992 » Tue Oct 24, 2006 5:29 pm

I have read that budgies and finches can be kept together and also that they cant i asked on two different forums what people thought and they had a mixture of opinions so tomorrow i am going to put them in together and see what happens if anything happens i will try to break it up i am aware i may lose a finch but i am sure i wont

tammieb
Brooding
Brooding

Post by tammieb » Tue Oct 24, 2006 6:25 pm

If you are determined to mix them then why are you asking for our opinions?

I voted NO and think you are making a mistake.
TammieB.

Use the talents you possess - for the woods would be a very silent place if no birds sang except for the best. ~Henry Van Dyke~

tina
Mature
Mature

Post by tina » Wed Oct 25, 2006 8:18 am

I also believe it could be a big mistake. I have seen just how aggressive my keets are with other birds even larger then them, so I would never dare to place a smaller one with them. So I also voted No.
Thank you,
Tina

Luke Harrison1992
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by Luke Harrison1992 » Wed Oct 25, 2006 8:26 am

Well i was going to do it this morning but i found that my finches that i was going to put in have started to take an interest in breeding so that has been put on hold

Hilary
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Hilary » Sun Oct 29, 2006 12:39 am

Where did you read that you can keep them together? Everything I've seen strongly recommended against it.

Hilary

newfinchmom
Nestling
Nestling

Post by newfinchmom » Sun Oct 29, 2006 2:24 pm

I too have been told by a few parakeet breeders (not finch breeders) that they can be in together. I am thinking of getting a parakeet, but I do not have a good feeling about putting it in with my two finches. The finches are already two unrelated breed types. . . I think throwing a third completely different type of bird would be a bad thing.

My dog's vet clinic has an avian vet that is very willing to chat on the phone about these types of questions. he said absolutely NO WAY. He said it's hard enough to combine different types of finches together. . .and parakeets are more hearty and aggressive. Don't know if that helps you or not. . . hope so.

Luke Harrison1992
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by Luke Harrison1992 » Sun Oct 29, 2006 5:30 pm

Any way started on a SEPERATE aviary (inside) for my four finches might see if i can get some different species in the coming months anyway should be finished in a couple of weeks

Hilary
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Hilary » Sun Oct 29, 2006 5:47 pm

Luke - Glad to hear you've started on a separate aviary for the finches. I remember that you posted that you wanted to breed - two pairs of finches in the same enclosure may cause problems, much less the parakeet. Good luck!

Hilary