New NFSS Member

For "miscellaneous" finch-related questions.
Leo519
Flirty Bird
Flirty Bird

New NFSS Member

Post by Leo519 » Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:41 pm

ATTN: Sally and other NFSS members,

So over the weekend I joined the National Finch and Softbill Society and I'm really looking forward to receiving my first journal. Wondering when do they get sent out to members?

(Even though I'm just an enthusiastic finch keeper and not interested in breeding my finches,
I decided to join since it's a worthwhile bird organization, as well as another interesting resource for me to gain more knowledge of the hobby :D )
Laura

Society, Spice, and Owl finches, Gouldians
Red Cheeked Cordon Bleus, Senegal Fire finches
American Singer canary

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: New NFSS Member

Post by Sally » Mon Aug 10, 2015 11:49 pm

Usually, you will get the next copy that is mailed out after you join, which should be the July/August issue. I believe it is about ready to go to the printer. The Journals have been late coming out this year, due to some changes in the Editor position. In fact, NFSS is looking now for a new Editor, so if anyone has experience with publishing, etc., you could send your resume to NFSS. We have a Facebook page (Official National Finch and Softbill Society) which you can join.

Glad you decided to join NFSS, I think it is a very worthwhile organization. Once I started going to the National Cage Bird shows each year, I had the chance to meet a lot of the leadership, and you won't find a nicer group of people. Being in California, depending on where you are, there are some very active bird clubs out there, plus some great shows, and many active members of NFSS are also active in those clubs and shows.
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

saulosirds
Flirty Bird
Flirty Bird

Post by saulosirds » Tue Aug 11, 2015 7:29 pm

Sally

Congrats on your NFSS appointment! Don't know if it has been covered on the forum or not but wanted to let you know people are paying attention!

Also, not trying to hijack thread, but maybe we could have a NFSS section or sub-section where we can talk about NFSS stuff and we can also use it as a info placeholder?I don't know anything about the FinchSave groups and think it would be good to have a place where people can learn more about it. Just some ideas I had.

Rob

delray
Tech Assistant, Social Media Manager & Mod Extraordinaire

Post by delray » Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:51 pm

I am joining as a junior member now! I sent out my application last week and am going to receive the membership card within the next days. I'm excited as well to receive the journals, and I am not a breeder. ;)
Brian
Phineas: Lightly Pied Chestnut
Ferb: Dilute Fawn

FINCHforum Moderator & Social Media Manager

Instagram: https://instagram.com/finchforum/
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/FINCHforum

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:46 am

I don't know if we could have a forum or subforum for NFSS, but I think a sticky at least would be possible. I haven't said much about my appointment yet, so I guess I could announce it now. I have been appointed the pro tem 3rd Vice President, FinchSave Director of NFSS. There should be a ballot in the July/August issue of the Journal, and I would appreciate the vote of any NFSS member on this forum. I don't even know if anyone else is running for the position!

FSS, or Finch and Softbill Save, is an extremely important part of NFSS, more than I even realized until getting involved with it. The goal of FSS is to encourage breeding of finches and softbills in the U.S. and Canada so that at least some of these species will be firmly established in aviculture. I have often referred to certain species as 'rare' or 'exotic', but as one of our most experienced breeders has reminded me, almost all finch species are rare or exotic in North America. The only species that don't qualify for the FSS program are Zebras, Societies, Lady Gouldians, Java Sparrows, doves and quail, and any mutations that don't exist in their native habitat.

Those who are fairly new to finch keeping may not be aware of how recent many of the African species have become available. There were CITES restrictions in place that stopped exports from Africa, so breeders in North America were restricted to what they could breed. Since many had not anticipated this restriction, most species became very difficult to obtain. For example, when I first got back into finches in 2006, it was very hard to find African waxbills. I paid $250 for a pair of domestic Goldbreasts, and I was thrilled to find those. Only a few months after I made this purchase, CITES restrictions were lifted, and brokers were overflowing with wild-caught finches. Goldbreasts were still $180 a pair, because there was such a huge demand. Now you can find Goldbreasts for as little as $25. They are almost regarded as a throwaway finch, one that is easier and cheaper to replace by buying more than bothering to breed.

However, those in the know say that CITES restrictions are bound to be set in place again, we just don't know when this will happen. Probably sooner rather than later. We've already seen the imports drop and availability lessen. Blue-capped Cordon Bleus were so available a few years ago that they were selling for $25 each, and now it is getting harder to find them.

It is unrealistic to think that we can save every species for aviculture, but we can certainly make an effort. You don't have to have a huge breeding setup, with many pairs of breeding finches. Even a single pair can count, if you work with FSS and network with other breeders. A group of breeders can swap bloodlines, help each other in finding mates for their birds. This is where the Census can help in finding other breeders.

We'll be making some changes to the FSS program in the near future. Once those are completed and in place, I'll be promoting this program even more.

debbie276
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Post by debbie276 » Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:49 am

Congratulations!! =D>
Debbie
long time breeder of lady gouldians:
Green
SF Pastel (SF Yellow)
Pastel (Yellow)
Blue
SF Pastel Blue (SF Yellow Blue)
Pastel Blue (Yellow Blue)

GREAT articles on avian lighting:
https://mickaboo.org/confluence/downloa ... ummary.pdf
http://www.naturallighting.com/cart/sto ... sc_page=56

saulosirds
Flirty Bird
Flirty Bird

Post by saulosirds » Wed Aug 12, 2015 1:24 pm

Sally

I really hope I didn't spill the beans but the only reason I posted anything was that it was already in the NFSS news letter.

So I hope I didn't ruin anything but congrats either way.

Would love to see more about the FSS program as it premise is kinda one of the big reasons that i started keeping birds again.

Rob

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Wed Aug 12, 2015 3:55 pm

No problem at all, actually I think it was mentioned elsewhere on the forum already. We are going to be making some changes to the program, as it hasn't been working too well as is. If there are any NFSS members on the forum who have any suggestions for changes to the FSS program, I am open for advice. The Census could be a good tool, but getting people to actually count their birds and post them at the end of the year has always been a problem. The data records (stud book) never did take off, only a few people used it.

saulosirds
Flirty Bird
Flirty Bird

Post by saulosirds » Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:23 pm

Sally

I for one know the African stud book would be something I would love to be able to have access to. I have struggled to find odd species I have been looking for and only by luck have chance have I recently found some uncommon birds.

The one problem I run into is that I am hesitant to share my sources as I don't want to end up not being able to get what I want. I know it sounds silly but I often wonder if I might not be the only one that feels that way. I think the rarity of some species makes me feel a bit more prone to be selective on what I pass on to others but maybe the stud books and their support structures will help resolve some of these things.

I am sure there are some of us her that would certainly help as well as offer suggestions if you ever need any input.

Rob

Leo519
Flirty Bird
Flirty Bird

Post by Leo519 » Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:20 pm

Congratulations Sally on your appointment! :-D

And thanks for your information about NFSS.. Hopefully many other Forum members will join, especially those who are breeders.

On a side note, I had no idea that as recently as 9 years ago the African bird varieties were expensive and difficult to get! The handful of bird marts I've been to have had an abundance of many African waxbill species, at relatively inexpensive prices, and I just kind of took them for granted :shock:

Today my welcome letter from NFSS arrived along with my membership card and it said my first journal will be the Sept/Oct issue. I am looking forward to it!
Laura

American Singer canary

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:33 am

saulosirds It has always been a factor that people may be reluctant to share their information. I ran into this back when you couldn't find Strawberries. There were a few people working with them, but they did not want it to get out. One breeder confided in me but asked me to keep it to myself. She said she did not want to be inundated with people wanting Strawberries. I understand her position, as I didn't make it a secret that I was working with them, and I had many requests for babies. I even had people get mad at me for not sharing. So I certainly understand anyone's reluctance to share their breeding successes and/or their sources.

I've noticed that with Lauren's success with Purple Grenadiers. She has been very forthcoming about her clutches/babies, and I notice that she is already getting requests from people wanting to buy the babies. One thing that was told to me when I first started working with Strawberries was never to sell my F1 or even perhaps my F2 babies, as those are the cornerstone of a breeding program.

delray

Post by delray » Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:32 am

Leo519 Awesome! When did you send out your application? I am still waiting on my letter after sending it out last Tuesday. I'm looking forward to the next newsletter as well.
Brian

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/FINCHforum

Leo519
Flirty Bird
Flirty Bird

Post by Leo519 » Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:29 am

delray

I submitted my app online last Saturday and was pleasantly surprised at how fast it was sent out.. So you should be getting yours any day now :D
Laura

American Singer canary

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Thu Aug 13, 2015 4:41 pm

delray Let me know if you don't hear anything soon, I can check with the Membership Director.

delray

Post by delray » Thu Aug 13, 2015 5:21 pm

Sally ok I will let you know if I don't get anything by the weekend. Thanks
Brian