A Question For The Egg-sperts

For "miscellaneous" finch-related questions.
lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

A Question For The Egg-sperts

Post by lovezebs » Sat Oct 10, 2015 8:15 am

Hello Egg-sperts....

I found two eggs in one seed dish, and one in another. They appear to be the same size and shape, so I'm assuming, they came from the same fuzzy buttom. Now the question is, whose fuzzy butt they might have come from (???)

The flight contains: Strawberries (a true pair and two daughters), Owls (one male, one possible female (?)), two Orange Cheeks ( gender unknown) , Goldbreasts (two males, one female), and two Redbrows (gender unknown), along with two Stars (one male, one female, but male is blind and out of commission in the breeding department).

Soooooo, who can it be now???? Any thoughts from those who are familiar with egg sizes, shapes and colours????

In the picture, the eggs, are around a dime, to give an idea of size.

Thanks
Attachments
20151009_202824.jpg
20151009_202832.jpg
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

cindy
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Re: A Question For The Egg-sperts

Post by cindy » Sat Oct 10, 2015 8:35 am

you can rule the Goldbreast out since theirs are much tinier

Zebra, Gouldians, Java, CBM Shaft tail & Grasskeets

~ My Facebook groups ~

*Finchaholics ~ finches, hookbills, softbills & canaries are welcome here!
discussions regarding species, housing, breeding, preventatives, treatments

*Birdaholics ~ Avian Classified Ads Only

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Sat Oct 10, 2015 3:12 pm

What, no guesses? Come on folks, I gotta gotta know.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Arama
Perfect Partner
Perfect Partner

Post by Arama » Sat Oct 10, 2015 3:41 pm

No idea but I did want to ask if its possible the egg on top is from another bird? It looks a little smaller and more rounder on the ends then the other two.
Trisha

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Sat Oct 10, 2015 7:15 pm

Arama

I suppose it is possible, Trisha, although when I look at them , they seem pretty much the same.

I still don't know who is dropping egg babies in the seed cups. Who ever it is, is doing it when I'm not looking #-o

I was hoping that someone might recognize the shape and size, but so far no bites.
~Elana~

vienneparis
Jute Junkie
Jute Junkie

Post by vienneparis » Sun Oct 11, 2015 2:23 am

lovezebs
Elena, you can also rule out the OC's and stars since the eggs I've seen from my OC's and stars are smaller. I don't have any experience with the other types of finches.
Vienne
Bird Lover (zebra, society, cordon bleu, orange-cheeked waxbill, bronzed winged mannikin, goldbreasted waxbill, lady gouldian, red-throated parrot & star finches, canaries, budgies, lovebirds, bourkes parakeets, pheasants & quails)

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Sun Oct 11, 2015 10:44 am

vienneparis

Thanks Vienne

So we've rulled out Goldbreasts, Orange Cheeks, and Stars (my boy is out of commission anyway) .
So now, we're looking at possibly: Strawberries, Redbrows, Owls?
I have seen my Strawberries mating...... so maybe?
~Elana~

NRJ
Fledgeling
Fledgeling

Post by NRJ » Mon Oct 12, 2015 2:32 am

You could look at the birds separately and see if any of the females have the vent area bit enlarged and the wings slightly droopy, which are just subtle signs that she is laying.

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Mon Oct 12, 2015 2:57 am

NRJ

I think I'll pass on that, lol :-D.
Just the other day, I had to catch 3 birds in the waxbill flight.... I had several escapees, which took several hours to catch. Plus, both the poor birds and yours trully almost had a combination of heart attack/nervous break down.

It is extremely difficult to catch the little guys, they are incredibly fast and agile flyers.
~Elana~

MiaCarter
Molting
Molting

Post by MiaCarter » Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:54 am

Ooh, that's a good mystery you've got here!

My first guess won't be helpful, as I'd have guessed gouldian eggs on the 2 bottom eggs - their eggs tend to be very rotund and a tad bit larger as those eggs are -- but I see they're not an option! So that's not too helpful. LOL

My guess on the top egg would be owls, as their eggs seem to have a slightly more oval shape, with less of a differential between the circumference of the top and the bottom. But again, just a shot in the dark!

Incubate them with someone and see what happens!
Humum to....
13 Zebra Finches....and 2 squeeps!
3 Society Finches
6 Gouldians
1 Weaver
1 Pintail Whydah
2 Cockatiels
2 Parakeets

....along with 1 MinPin, 1 Pug, 1 JRT, 1 Yorkie, 2 Chihuahuas and 15 cats.

www.PetFinchFacts.com

slwatson
Proud Parent
Proud Parent

Post by slwatson » Mon Oct 12, 2015 12:44 pm

lovezebs

I've only seen the eggs of my society finches, so I can't help you. Maybe your strawberries since you saw them mating?
Stacie
Look up Tweets & Beaks on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Tweets-Beaks-1 ... 0/?fref=ts

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Mon Oct 12, 2015 3:02 pm

MiaCarter & slwatson

They've been out too long, and I don't have anyone sitting right now anyway.

The more I looked at them though, the more I was leaning toward Owls ( I'm still not sure if I have a true pair, although that would prove it without a doubt, seeing as I know one is definitely a male). These eggs appeared to be just a tad too big for a Strawberry to pass.

Definitely a mystery.

And no, there are no Gouldians in that flight .

I am toying around with putting some nests into that flight to see what happens, although I would have to pull my Strawberry pair into another flight in that case. Mr Berry, gets quite confrontational when there are nests in the vicinity.
~Elana~

slwatson
Proud Parent
Proud Parent

Post by slwatson » Mon Oct 12, 2015 3:50 pm

lovezebs

How about you pull the strawberry pair, give them a nest, and then if they have a male, I'll buy it from you?!?! But alas, we're too far away from one another :(
Stacie

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Mon Oct 12, 2015 4:34 pm

slwatson

I just sold the Berry male from my last clutch. Still have his two sisters. If I give Mr and Mrs Berry a nest, they will give me babies, no doubt there, but you are in.....Texas?! That's a long way for a tiny Berry to fly.
~Elana~

slwatson
Proud Parent
Proud Parent

Post by slwatson » Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:09 am

lovezebs

Yes, I'm in Texas...it's too far away. It was just wishful thinking :YMDAYDREAM: I bought a young female strawberry, and she's doing good, but she's with my nicer, bigger finches. They don't really bother her, but she sits on top of the seed tube to stay out of everyone's way. I think she wants a friend :YMSIGH:
Stacie