severe crippling arthritis must find home for some birds

For "miscellaneous" finch-related questions.
eladneflis
Pip
Pip

severe crippling arthritis must find home for some birds

Post by eladneflis » Sun Oct 11, 2015 8:53 am

I have become incapacitated and cannot care for both of my 2 aviaries. I must consolidate and find homes for at least 6 of my birds which could not live in the aviary I am keeping because of variety conflicts. :( Does anyone have suggestions as to what is the best way to do this to ensure good homes? I do not have friends or family members who would take them. They are 4 weavers (1 male, 3 females) and 3 canaries (1 male, 2 females) I welcome any suggestions and would gladly send them to an interested bird lover.

Hilary
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: severe crippling arthritis must find home for some birds

Post by Hilary » Sun Oct 11, 2015 10:26 am

Where are you located? When I had to radically reduce the size of my flock I was fortunate enough to have a number of members living nearby who were happy to help me out.

So sorry to hear about the arthritis, but glad to hear that you'll be able to keep at least the one aviary.
Hilary

eladneflis
Pip
Pip

Post by eladneflis » Sun Oct 11, 2015 10:53 am

I live in New Hampshire almost on the Maine border. The town is Center Conway. The nearest Maine town is Fryeburg. We are near Ossippee, NH and fairly close to Portsmouth. The biggest city near us in Maine is Portland. We would be more than happy to bring the birds to any place in Vermont, NH or Maine to a person who could give them good care. They are 2 American singer hens and 1 Dutch Frill male canary. I have a bonded pair of Napoleon weavers and 2 other weaver hens. Thanks for the good advice. I will wait to hear from anyone interested.

finchmix22
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by finchmix22 » Sun Oct 11, 2015 1:37 pm

eladneflis
I am sorry you are having problems. I have health problems and am in the process of selling all my finches. It takes a while, but I hope to sell the rest at out local bird mart next weekend. Good Luck.
DEBORAH

eladneflis
Pip
Pip

Post by eladneflis » Sun Oct 11, 2015 1:55 pm

What is the "local bird mart"? I have never heard of such a place. I wonder if there is one near me.

Thanks,

Dale

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Sun Oct 11, 2015 11:59 pm

Some areas have bird marts/fairs which are held in large halls where vendors rent tables and bring birds/cages/seed/supplies to sell. They are usually a good place to purchase at cheaper prices than pet shops. We in Texas are very lucky to have many marts, though lately we have so many marts that I think it hurts the vendors in the long run--there's only so much that buyers can purchase, and then they don't need anything for quite a while. When there are just a few marts, I think buyers look forward to/anticipate them much more.

Are you anywhere near Nashua, NH? There is a big supply store there, and they may be able to direct you to local breeders or people who might be interested in purchasing some birds. You could also ask them if there are any local bird clubs. Bird clubs will often post on their websites trying to help people rehome birds.
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

eladneflis
Pip
Pip

Post by eladneflis » Mon Oct 12, 2015 2:28 pm

I do know Bird Supply of New Hampshire in Nashua. I will contact them for any help they can give me in giving the birds a good new home. I am able to retain one small aviary because my husband takes care of it, but he also has health issues and can't do more than that.

Thanks so much for the good suggestion. I will follow up right away.

Dale