Bird proofing a mirror

For "miscellaneous" finch-related questions.
Red_Rose
Nestling
Nestling

Bird proofing a mirror

Post by Red_Rose » Sun Oct 11, 2015 11:15 am

Aside from placing a curtain rod and using curtains to cover it, which I'd rather not do, is there any other way to bird proof a mirror? The mirror is 5'x3' so it's not something I can just take down and put back up whenever I want.

I was about to let my beasts out until I looked up on mirrors and the last thing I want is for one of them to fly into it and seriously hurt themselves.

Thanks. :)

Sheather
Proven
Proven

Re: Bird proofing a mirror

Post by Sheather » Sun Oct 11, 2015 1:35 pm

Well I've never had a bird fly into a mirror, our parakeet lived downstairs with a 7 x 4 mirror for a long time and liked to hang from the top and look at himself, but he never crashed into it.
~Dylan

~~~

Red_Rose
Nestling
Nestling

Post by Red_Rose » Sun Oct 11, 2015 3:11 pm

Sheather

You know, I've seen videos of people who let their finches out to play and some videos had a fair sized mirror in the room and either the birds would look at themselves or they would just ignore it altogether which made me wonder if I should do something about mine.

Other videos showed finches fluttering about playing on a window sill and the window wasn't covered in anyway yet none tried to fly into the glass.

Sheather
Proven
Proven

Post by Sheather » Sun Oct 11, 2015 3:34 pm

My birds live in a room with large windows and the only accident I ever had were night frights, with a diamond dove and a silverbill. Never any accidents by day, they figure out windows pretty quick.
~Dylan

~~~

Red_Rose
Nestling
Nestling

Post by Red_Rose » Sun Oct 11, 2015 4:51 pm

That's good that you've never had any daytime accidents. I hope your babies were okay after the night fright.

Babs _Owner
Molting
Molting

Post by Babs _Owner » Sun Oct 11, 2015 7:51 pm

Red_Rose

When I went to pick up my gouldians, the people who let me inspect their gouldian cages, had a Parrotlet.

Although it was obvious the bird was very familiar with its surroundings and the mirror had been there for ages, the bird jumped off his shoulder and right smack into the mirror. It was stunned for a few minutes.

I'd try and think of something creative with your "curtain" and by all means put one up. Maybe a swish-curtain with some greenery on the side, or dried branches, so you can easily let the curtain go over the mirror when needed, and the bird has a focal point on the side to allow it to know where the perch is beside the mirror.

He hit that mirror so hard, Bill and I thought he was injured.

wildbird
Brooding
Brooding

Post by wildbird » Sun Oct 11, 2015 10:51 pm

I would cover the mirror. Someone told me about their Java finch that flew into their window and was killed. Javas are very fast flyers, so it may depend on the type of bird, but to be safe, cover it.

Zebrafincher
Proud Parent
Proud Parent

Post by Zebrafincher » Mon Oct 12, 2015 12:23 am

My star finch Merl has had a love affair with his mirrors for the last few years. He doesn't get on with any other finches I've tried him with, and he much prefers to look at himself. As long as they don't attack the mirror, its fine.

Kind Regards

Zebrafincher

Red_Rose
Nestling
Nestling

Post by Red_Rose » Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:06 am

Thank you, everyone. I think I'll put a curtain up just to be on the safe side. The last thing I want is for one of them to fly into the mirror.