Need advice regarding aquiring more birds

For "miscellaneous" finch-related questions.
Spreckles
3 Eggs Laid
3 Eggs Laid

Need advice regarding aquiring more birds

Post by Spreckles » Sat Nov 07, 2015 1:25 pm

I started to order more birds from the Finch Farm. I tried to cancel the order after reading a lot here especially about mail travel; and air travel for me is cost prohibitive. Has anyone used them? Quick re cap of my story. I have an 8 year old CB female don't know the sub species, just learned she is a female by reading here. thought she was a he. Bought a frisky Pied Society finch for her when her bonded buddy died. They interact some but she is still very lonely and cuddles the mirror a lot, but she eats, flies, and is in good health. What should I buy for her? A pair of CB's? Male and female? She is an old bird I don't want to repeat the same scenario with another sad bird when she passes. A sad bird is pitiful. I don't have any local choices except for zebras and society finches. Have checked the state of MS pretty thoroughly. Actually closest avian vet is in LA! Besides the Finch Farm has a lot of my money and won't refund it. Any advice?

Sheather
Proven
Proven

Re: Need advice regarding aquiring more birds

Post by Sheather » Sat Nov 07, 2015 1:30 pm

A pair will bully her. Finches of her species (or most) don't like to share mates. Maybe get another society (if the cordon doesn't especially like her, the society is probably lonely too) and take away the mirror. She is choosing to interact with it because it looks more like her species, but without it she may extend a bond to another type of finch. Societies are also exceptions to the trio rule, unlike almost every other finch they do fine in odd numbers and are virtually never bullies.

Alternately, get one or three more cordons but you don't want an odd number of that species.

I had mixed results with the finch farm, I had very bad luck with Gouldians, they all arrived ill and I had two of three die days of ordering. Waxbills, a cutthroat, and a society ordered came in great health.
~Dylan

~~~

Spreckles
3 Eggs Laid
3 Eggs Laid

Post by Spreckles » Sat Nov 07, 2015 1:42 pm

What I really want is Gouldians and I have limited space so I am totally unsure!!! If I was to get her one bird would it be better to get a male or female?

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Sat Nov 07, 2015 1:52 pm

Spreckles

Hi.

In my opinion, I would get one Cordon, and one Society. That way, both birds will have company.

If and when your Cordon girl passes away, you'll always have the option to buy another Cordon. In the meanwhile, she will have companionship of her own species (this species have a life span of five to ten years) and be happy for however many years she has left.

As to your Socie, I would definitely get at least one more. They absolutely love LOVE company.

Re. The mirror (hate to disagree Dylan), but I would allow her to keep it, until you get her a companion (thn I would remove it). If it offers her comfort, wht take it away from her.

Re. Finch Farm. I can't really offer an opinion, seeing as I have never ordered from them. Some people have had favorable outcomes, others bad. It would appear, that most species, arrive I good health, however Gouldians from there, are not a good idea [-X (sick, unhealthy, dying).

Good Luck with whatever choice you make, and please keep us updated :-).
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Sat Nov 07, 2015 2:00 pm

Spreckles

Must have crossed posts in cyber space, lol.

I would get her another female. That way, there won't be the pressure to breed (she's too old) and end up egg bound.

You mentioned Gouldians. I love Gouldians:-).
From what I've heared, Gouldians from the Finch Farm, are a NO-NO! I would look around for another breeder who is willing to ship, or better yet, where you could pick up birds.

Re. Space, lol.... Can't help you there (I'm bursting at the seams myself :-)).

Gouldians, can be housed with both Cordons and Societies (if not breeding).
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Sat Nov 07, 2015 2:02 pm

Spreckles

P.S.

When I say they 'can be housed together', it's IF you have a large enough flight.
~Elana~

Spreckles
3 Eggs Laid
3 Eggs Laid

Post by Spreckles » Sat Nov 07, 2015 2:04 pm

I have 2 good sized cages stacked and they have plenty of room. They are allowed to fly too.

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Sat Nov 07, 2015 4:52 pm

Spreckles

Well then.... what are you waiting for ??? =))
~Elana~

Spreckles
3 Eggs Laid
3 Eggs Laid

Post by Spreckles » Sat Nov 07, 2015 6:51 pm

HAHA the best laid plans!!!! I went to get a Society bird and came home with a darling white parakeet. Oh well. The white one is in the tall top cage and the finches are underneath. Dylan inspires me with his menagerie. Hopefully with some TLC and slow introductions they can be friends. poor little thing is askeered to death right now!

Spreckles
3 Eggs Laid
3 Eggs Laid

Post by Spreckles » Sat Nov 07, 2015 7:02 pm

I finally got some good pics but it is a learning process every time!!! Elana wish you were closer I would come get some of those over crowded Lady G's! I am going to order the one blue headed female CB.
Actually getting the parakeet today got the 2 birds closer. Hopefully everyone will relax. The newbie won't get any flight time for a few days. I have never hand tamed a bird before!!!!

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Sun Nov 08, 2015 12:56 am

Spreckles

★I'd be very, very carefully about a Parakeet and Finches housed together★

I know that our Dylan (Sheather), was successful with keeping Parakeets (Budgies) and Finches together, but that's one exception, in a large bird room, with lots of space, not the rule.

In most cases, this is something that you really NEVER want to try. Hookbills and Finches together, are NOT a good idea. Budgies (Parakeets) and Lovebirds, in particular, can be extremely aggressive, and kill a finch without giving it so much as a second thought. They can rip off legs, wings and other body parts very easily, causing a blood bath for you to come home to.
~Elana~

rcharrod
Callow Courter
Callow Courter

Post by rcharrod » Sun Nov 08, 2015 10:22 am

Spreckles

To Elana's point, there was a recent thread on this, posted by flymouse. Go to the search function and look for "Mixing Finches and Parakeet"

Sheather
Proven
Proven

Post by Sheather » Sun Nov 08, 2015 12:39 pm

If you let your birds fly freely I wouldn't expect any issues with the budgie and the finches. I had nine or ten with my finches for a good while, no problems. Finches are way more agile.

All of my birds now live together in the same space, they have separate sleeping cages but mingle for the entire day peaceably. Zero conflicts.
Last edited by Sheather on Sun Nov 08, 2015 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Dylan

~~~

Sheather
Proven
Proven

Post by Sheather » Sun Nov 08, 2015 12:50 pm

And yes, people will disagree, but this is my experience in a setup similar to yours.
~Dylan

~~~

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Sun Nov 08, 2015 3:16 pm

Sheather

That's because you're the Bird Whisperer Dylan :-).
Other folks, have had some major issues.....

Glad your guys are all doing well, and getting along =D>
~Elana~