When to start Free Flight

For "miscellaneous" finch-related questions.
StephOnIt
Hatchling
Hatchling

When to start Free Flight

Post by StephOnIt » Sat Nov 28, 2015 11:44 am

So I've mentioned a few times that I'm planning on getting my first pair of birdies on Sunday. I have the cage mostly ready, and will be housing them in my room.

I'm really interested in letting them have the run of my room as it's safe because my cats never come in here, and there would be plenty of places to perch.

How should free flight be introduced, and how long should I wait after I bring them home?

Thanks!

Babs _Owner
Molting
Molting

Re: When to start Free Flight

Post by Babs _Owner » Sat Nov 28, 2015 1:30 pm

StephOnIt

I can't do free flight in my house. A few members have done or do free flight in the home. I'll tag Sheather & MiaCarter for you and see if you can get some advice from them.

StephOnIt
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by StephOnIt » Sat Nov 28, 2015 1:47 pm

Thanks so much Babs I really appreciate it!

Sheather
Proven
Proven

Post by Sheather » Sat Nov 28, 2015 5:39 pm

If you have their whole room safe and set up for them, maybe 3 days? They just need to learn that's where their food is at. Then they will regularly come and go to the cage throughout the day to eat, and you can close them in if necessary when they do as long as you only feed them in there.
~Dylan

~~~

Spreckles
3 Eggs Laid
3 Eggs Laid

Post by Spreckles » Sat Nov 28, 2015 7:33 pm

i free fly. I am a newbie bird owner of multiple birds but have a very old bird that I have had for a couple years who always was allowed to fly free. BE SURE your cats can't get in. Also that the room is safe. i let mine fly in my room during the day. They are in a dormer and they tend to just make little laps and go to the top of the cage and perch on the door and swing in their swings etc... I have recently lost one to my little dog. And I lost one to a cat. Even with the best intentions. I received advice about letting them settle for a couple of weeks and get calmed down. I didn't heed that right away but it is good advice. It is stressful for them to transition and waiting until they are calm and happy in their new cage is probably a good idea before you open the door. If they are nervous they can bang into windows and get hurt. i am interested to see what you bring home! I would really look at some Societies because they are darling in their temperament and their little songs are quite adorable.

Hope to hear it goes great!!!!

Dave
Sisal Slave
Sisal Slave

Post by Dave » Mon Dec 21, 2015 7:33 pm

Birds fly toward the light. With that in mind, you can begin free-flight in a room if the windows are dark and the cage has a light on it. The cage should be the brightest spot in the room. Open the cage door and walk away. Eventually the bird will come out, at their own pace, and look around. Some birds might not actually fly for an hour or more. Once the bird flies, it won't be long before they fly back to the cage. Don't rush the process, they'll figure it out on their own.
Dave

Campbellsville, Kentucky, USA
Canaries