Lixit Water Bottle issues

For "miscellaneous" finch-related questions.
vokeeca
Pip
Pip

Lixit Water Bottle issues

Post by vokeeca » Sun Dec 20, 2015 5:20 pm

Hello finch friends, I've been using the medium-sized Lixit glass bottle for my finches' main water source for less than one year now. Within the last few days, I've noticed that the bottle does not release water as quickly as it used to and the birds are becoming frustrated because they're flicking the ball and not receiving any water. (I can tell because I see no bubbles.) This would happen *ocassionally* in the past but now it's happening multiple times a day. The birds are not getting enough water and I'm nervous, though I did add a water dish to their cage.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you, friends!

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: Lixit Water Bottle issues

Post by lovezebs » Mon Dec 21, 2015 12:59 am

vokeeca

I find that these bottles work best for hamsters, guinea pigs, etc.

Birds do better with the water bottles that have a little cup in the bottom, as many of them suck water when they drink. I would strongly recommend getting some of those, rather than the one you have.

It's also always a good idea to have more than one water source (just in case something happens to one source).
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Mon Dec 21, 2015 1:08 am

Attachments
images-52.jpeg
images-52.jpeg (3.81 KiB) Viewed 2260 times
images-56.jpeg
images-56.jpeg (6.72 KiB) Viewed 2260 times
images-93.jpeg
images-93.jpeg (1.96 KiB) Viewed 2260 times
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Mon Dec 21, 2015 2:18 am

vokeeca

This is from the Lixit website:

"Lixit Product Support
When the water bottle drinking tube gets clogged, what should I do?

For lack of a better word, "guck" is almost anything from small food particles to mineral deposits that build up inside the drinking tube. There are two very simple ways to clean the inside of the drinking tube. First, soak the entire cap assembly in a solution of 10 parts water and 1 part bleach for 30 minutes. This will start the cleaning process and dissolve any clinging algae or organic deposits caused by liquid vitamins or medications. Using a cotton swab or a pipe cleaner (also known as chenille stems at art and craft stores), wipe the inside of the drinking tube, pulling any debris out towards the open end of the drinking tube. Clean the tube from both ends using this method and soak it again in the bleach solution for about 10 additional minutes. Rinse the cap assembly very well. Using this method, it is sometimes quite surprising how much "guck" can be removed from a drinking tube that appears to be clean. With the inner surfaces cleaned and free of any debris that can interfere with the ball bearing's free movement, the drinking tube should return to non-leaking full function."

http://www.lixit.com/node/911
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

debbie276
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Post by debbie276 » Mon Dec 21, 2015 6:11 am

Great link Sally!
I would think these tunes should be cleaned periodically especially if your adding things like vitamins to the water.
Hope this solution works and is flowing well again :)
Debbie
long time breeder of lady gouldians:
Green
SF Pastel (SF Yellow)
Pastel (Yellow)
Blue
SF Pastel Blue (SF Yellow Blue)
Pastel Blue (Yellow Blue)

GREAT articles on avian lighting:
https://mickaboo.org/confluence/downloa ... ummary.pdf
http://www.naturallighting.com/cart/sto ... sc_page=56

finchandlovebird
Proven
Proven

Post by finchandlovebird » Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:27 am

I use Lixit waterers (& also a dish of water in the cage for drinking or bathing). Never had a problem with the Lixits; I wash them in the dishwasher weekly.
Dolly J

1 Canary
, 1 Parakeet
Raised Gouldians & Scarlet Chested Parakeets in past years

finchboy
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by finchboy » Mon Dec 21, 2015 7:08 pm

I like Elana's view that those drinking water bottles with a metal tube are only good for hamsters, guineas, rabbits, but not birds. The best type for birds is those with a tiny tray at the bottom.

Talking about those bottles with a metal pipe/ball bearing construction, my take is that they are best when used with clean water without any additives, eg vitamins or other chemicals. This is because the steel ball-bearing is prone to corrosion when in contact with chemicals. Thus soaking the tube assembly in bleach or any strong chemical during cleaning is a no-no.

The same goes for those ordinary spray bottles with a ball-bearing inside. When used with clean water, they can last a long time but when used to spray solutions of any kind, they will soon or sooner malfunction. This is what I learnt through experience.

@Debbie
You are spot on there. :)
I Love Finches, Especially Strawberries.
I keep my Strawberry pair in a non-flight cage due to space constraints. If I have my way, I'll go for a flight cage or keep a hundred finches in a huge aviary. :)

Dave
Sisal Slave
Sisal Slave

Post by Dave » Mon Dec 21, 2015 7:28 pm

I've had trouble keeping the bottles-with-a-cup clean, too. Sooner or later a biofilm builds up in the cup. That little bottom cup is difficult to clean (or, my fingers are just too big). Does anyone know of a device that will clean the corners in the bottom cup?
Dave

Campbellsville, Kentucky, USA
Canaries

wildbird
Brooding
Brooding

Post by wildbird » Sat Apr 02, 2016 11:23 pm

The ones I have are curved like the last ones shown in Lovezebs post. They don't have corners. I wash them in dawn dish wash liquid every night. So far they look good. Try using a Qtip in the corners.

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Sun Apr 03, 2016 11:22 am

I use those tubes that are in Elana's last photo, the blue ones. They have a rounded lip that is a bit easier to clean. When I have to wash them, I can rub the inside of that lip with my ring finger or little finger, to get them totally clean. I used to use tube waterers that had more squared-off lips, and they were difficult to get completely clean. You could try those little brushes for baby bottles, not the big ones, but the tiny ones.
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

dunker817
Persistent Pursuer
Persistent Pursuer

Post by dunker817 » Sun Apr 03, 2016 8:25 pm

I use water bottles but not Lixit grand. I find they drip to much. I just the petco brand in all my flight cages and have never had any problems with them being clogged. I used bottles water so there are no minerals to form a deposit. If it were me, I would either try the cleaning method Sally posted or just buy new bottles.
Layne

One male Spanish Timbrado canary, two Grasskeets, four Cockatiels, and two Cairn Terriers.
Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened.
Antone France