java finch makes cat sound ....

For "miscellaneous" finch-related questions.
javafinch
Pip
Pip

java finch makes cat sound ....

Post by javafinch » Tue Dec 22, 2015 6:15 pm

so i bought a female java finch couple months ago....when she is in the nest and the male java is not, she would make a very strange sound like " yeeeeeee yeeeeeeeee yeeeeeee" that almost sounds like a cat.
she only makes this noise when she is in the nest...it feels like she is calling the male bird to come back home.....

i have 3 other male java finches in another cage. for some reason, one of the males started making this kind of weird noise as well.

what does this cat sound mean at all? it is so weird to me.

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: java finch makes cat sound ....

Post by lovezebs » Tue Dec 22, 2015 7:45 pm

javafinch

No idea :-) , but I find it interesting. Is there a cat in the house, that they might be mimicking ?
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

javafinch
Pip
Pip

Post by javafinch » Tue Dec 22, 2015 7:47 pm

lovezebs wrote: javafinch

No idea :-) , but I find it interesting. Is there a cat in the house, that they might be mimicking ?
im going to upload this video when my husband comes home...its recorded in his cell phone :)

javafinch
Pip
Pip

Post by javafinch » Tue Dec 22, 2015 11:07 pm

lovezebs wrote: javafinch

I dont own a cat or dog at my house.
I uploaded the videos on youtube. Sorry that i cannot upload from my husband's phone directly because he does not have a youtube channel..anyway i took the video from my phone, the sound quality is okay!

you can hear from the video that the bird is making a very sharp noise that sounds like a cat or when pigs get slaughtered lol....this is so weird..

2 videos here...the while one is the male..the black is the one that makes noise
https://youtu.be/7-xHccF2hBc
https://youtu.be/mZ7nxWM2tFY

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Tue Dec 22, 2015 11:58 pm

I've never had Java finches, so I don't know what they are supposed to sound like, but that is definitely different! I do want to welcome you to the forum! There's lots of good reading at www.finchinfo.com, where you will find many articles on finch care. If you put your general location in your profile, it makes it easier to answer locale-specific questions later on.
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

Sojourner
2 Eggs Laid
2 Eggs Laid

Post by Sojourner » Sat Feb 27, 2016 2:07 am

We had Javas, and I remember them being a bit louder than the other finches when they did decide to squawk. But I don't really remember what sort of squawking they did.

Every once in awhile I think I would like some more Javas. And then I remember that I already HAVE 2 birds, both of which were essentially rescues from Petco/smart. One of them quite literally rescued from their back room. And I control myself.

I only hope I can continue to hold fast. I doubt it will stop the eventual acquisition of more birds, but it ought to at least slow it down.
Molly Brown 11/22/15
Pyewacket 6/15/17
Trudy 2/24/18

Turn towards home, and go there. Many overs, over woods and fields, streams and hills, many overs. Just turn towards home. How else would one go there? Perhaps it was a dream, and you have awakened from it. May the earth rise up beneath you, with home in your heart, and your person waiting.