type of finch

For "miscellaneous" finch-related questions.
mamangenn
Pip
Pip

type of finch

Post by mamangenn » Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:42 pm

What kind of finch can I put with m'y society finch without interbreeding risk?

Thank you

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: type of finch

Post by Sally » Sat Jan 30, 2016 12:27 am

You said you have 8 Society finches. For the cage that you just purchased for them, I would leave it at that. Unless you have all males or all females, you may find yourself with some babies. If you really want more birds, check out the species information on Society finches, it lists species that can hybridize with Societies (there are quite a lot of them).

http://www.finchinfo.com/birds/finches/ ... _finch.php
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

mamangenn
Pip
Pip

Post by mamangenn » Sat Jan 30, 2016 9:37 am

Would it be possible to add om couple of.gould?

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Sat Jan 30, 2016 11:35 am

Gouldians are not listed as a species that has hybridized with Societies. If you are not breeding, it would probably be OK, but if you have pairs, be aware that this cage can quickly become overcrowded.
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

debbie276
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Post by debbie276 » Sat Jan 30, 2016 11:39 am

If you intend to breed I would not put gouldians with society. The society can be very disruptive to nesting goulds.
If the cage is not large enough for the goulds to have their own area without the constant attention of the society's it will be a very stressfull situation for them and I would not recommend.
Debbie
long time breeder of lady gouldians:
Green
SF Pastel (SF Yellow)
Pastel (Yellow)
Blue
SF Pastel Blue (SF Yellow Blue)
Pastel Blue (Yellow Blue)

GREAT articles on avian lighting:
https://mickaboo.org/confluence/downloa ... ummary.pdf
http://www.naturallighting.com/cart/sto ... sc_page=56

lnlovesorange
4 Eggs Laid
4 Eggs Laid

Post by lnlovesorange » Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:56 am

debbie276 I'm glad you said this on this post. I've noticed in the bird room, the Gouldians and Zebras get along fine, sometimes the Goulds will snap a little Zebbie if he lands to close, but no ACTUAL fighting, but I've noticed that the Goulds hand out together on one side of the room (mostly in the fake greens) which I added a ton last night for them to hide in and i no sooner had my ladder folded up they were checkingo ut the new hiding spaces... I tried to make a perch for Ren (one footed wonder) but he hasn't caught on yet that it's for him (it's a stress perch with greenery all around it) Anyway, so yeah the Goulds stay to one side of the room and the zebs the other, they will eat together, and again it is peaceful, but I did notice that if the goulds didn't have that space they would be unhappy (like when the Zebras used to fly into their cage, I could just tell they were uncomfortable and HATED it... maybe that's what finally got them to leave the cage!!!) LOL Anyhow, thanks! (sorry to take over you post mamangenn)

Sojourner
2 Eggs Laid
2 Eggs Laid

Post by Sojourner » Fri Mar 18, 2016 5:07 pm

mamangenn

I doubt there's anything you can do to prevent them from breeding, if they decide to, but just discard the eggs. If there are even numbers of each species, its more likely they'll pair bond within species rather than across species. That by itself may not prevent cross-breeding - sometimes birds cheat on each other, too.

If you are intentionally breeding just don't put them in with those birds. It might be difficult to tell whose eggs are whose. But if nobody in the cage is supposed to be breeding, you can toss eggs with impunity.
Molly Brown 11/22/15
Pyewacket 6/15/17
Trudy 2/24/18

Turn towards home, and go there. Many overs, over woods and fields, streams and hills, many overs. Just turn towards home. How else would one go there? Perhaps it was a dream, and you have awakened from it. May the earth rise up beneath you, with home in your heart, and your person waiting.

wilkifam
Weaning
Weaning

Post by wilkifam » Fri Mar 18, 2016 5:21 pm

Gouldians! Owls!
Lori

Gouldians
Societies
Java FInches
Bourkes
Scarlets