My birds are too quiet :)

For "miscellaneous" finch-related questions.
Louys
Hatchling
Hatchling

My birds are too quiet :)

Post by Louys » Thu Mar 10, 2016 6:05 pm

This is a silly question.
Now I have my adult male Gouldian and the young one together. They adjusted to the new 30" cage and each other. The male sings a lot. Gouldian song is pretty, but very low. Is there another compatible species that I can house with them that is more vocal? I need more life in the house..... I live alone :)

Spreckles
3 Eggs Laid
3 Eggs Laid

Re: My birds are too quiet :)

Post by Spreckles » Fri Mar 11, 2016 12:21 am

A canary? Maybe some more finches? Zebras talk every time they see you. I call my female one Meepers because she says meep every time I walk by or say meep to her. You can acquire plenty of noisy company!
And there is this forum lots of folks here.

Karen

paul-inAZ
3 Eggs Laid
3 Eggs Laid

Post by paul-inAZ » Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:58 am

I also was going to mention a canary.
After a long stretch with the quietness of Bourkes I went back to gouldians and added canaries. Canaries and gouldians are supposed to be compatible but mine are housed separately.
I love the cheerful singing.

Be aware that while your choice of another bird may avoid the murder and mayhem of incompatible species another consideration is diet differences. For e.g. my canaries won't look at finch seed mix. Other species may need worms or somewhat special foods. Check dietary needs before adding anything.

lnlovesorange
4 Eggs Laid
4 Eggs Laid

Post by lnlovesorange » Fri Mar 11, 2016 11:40 am

paul-inAZ Good call on the foods!! Wouldn't have even thought of that! Louys I would also say Zebras, but listen to sound clips before you do that! Some people don't like thier noises, they are meepy, and beepy and Honk-y (yes, Yes, I'm making up words...) But I"m hoping you catch my drift. I was actually worried about my Goulds when I first got them, I thought they were sick because they were so much quieter and less active than the Zebras... Now I realize that Zebras are just NUTS!!! Another Awesome finch with a nice noise is Societies. They are a little more quiet than Zebras, (not as... Um obnoxious, sorry to the Zeb lovers out there, but remember I love them too) it's quieter, but they are busy, and nosy, and a nice little species I just bought 3, and they are still adjusting but I love them.... I missed the sound of birds in my room every morning, now they wake me up! But do a little research, find out what's available in your area cuz that's another thing. I came on here, and ended up falling in love with gouldians, but no pet store carries them anywhere near me, and when I searched Breeders (in my area which is Northern East Coast USA) there were none. I lucked out and found one breeder who is about a 3 hour drive from me, but I lucked out again and found out she was attending a bird show about an hour drive from me, so I met her there with my Gouldians... but that was a year ago... I have yet to find another breeder. And I'm sure it's safe, but I have my doubts about shipped birds.... I am probably going to have to do it eventually, but for now.... I'm not sure... Anyway, good luck. Keep us posted and you best put some pics up of your new birds!

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Fri Mar 11, 2016 12:53 pm

If you can find any Cordon Bleus in your area, they are lovely singers, not as loud as canaries, but very pretty. They would get along fine with Gouldians and eat the same diet. Green and Gray Singers have beautiful songs, are close to as loud as canaries, but they can get aggressive with other species when they are in breeding mode.
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

lnlovesorange
4 Eggs Laid
4 Eggs Laid

Post by lnlovesorange » Fri Mar 11, 2016 1:49 pm

Sally I was thinking about getting cordon's... Do they eat the same things as finches? I have Zebs, Goulds & Socie's... I love the little Cordon's they are so cute, what would i have to do different with them anything?

Louys
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by Louys » Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:47 pm

Wow, lots of choices..... and lots of friends helping me to make my house livelier ..... Thanks
It seems it is not bird selling/buying season here. I will have more choices in the spring, which comes here late April, May.
Will keep you posted...

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Sat Mar 12, 2016 1:27 am

lnlovesorange They are waxbills from Africa, but they eat basically the same thing you are feeding your other finches. They do need a higher protein diet when breeding, but otherwise they are happy with a good basic finch seed diet, with egg food and veggies added. I would not mix them with Zebras in the same cage or small flight, as they are pretty passive.
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

Sojourner
2 Eggs Laid
2 Eggs Laid

Post by Sojourner » Fri Mar 18, 2016 5:12 pm

Louys wrote: This is a silly question.
Now I have my adult male Gouldian and the young one together. They adjusted to the new 30" cage and each other. The male sings a lot. Gouldian song is pretty, but very low. Is there another compatible species that I can house with them that is more vocal? I need more life in the house..... I live alone :)
Get a pair of budgies. Put them in the same room with the TV.

You will never tell us your birds are too quiet again!
Molly Brown 11/22/15
Pyewacket 6/15/17
Trudy 2/24/18

Turn towards home, and go there. Many overs, over woods and fields, streams and hills, many overs. Just turn towards home. How else would one go there? Perhaps it was a dream, and you have awakened from it. May the earth rise up beneath you, with home in your heart, and your person waiting.

Makufye
Pip
Pip

Post by Makufye » Sun Jul 10, 2016 1:27 pm

hahaha, I was just going through old posts. Budgies are NOT quiet. I had a male and he was a huge talker. Mine used to come out and hang with me and watch tv. His favorite was Bing Bang Theory. For whatever reason, he liked to imitate the laugh track.

The males are bigger talkers, but the girls will also make noise. I will definitely have budgies again someday.