Help me sex my parrot finch

For "miscellaneous" finch-related questions.
Haider
Mature
Mature

Help me sex my parrot finch

Post by Haider » Sat Mar 26, 2016 3:08 am

Hello friends
Can help me sex this bird. Was told is a hen. Never seen it sing like the male I have. But I saw him/her trying to hump baby gouldians. I want to buy a mate for the bird but gotta know if I have male or female first.
Attachments
20160326_010954.jpg
20160326_010916.jpg
20160326_010926.jpg

Sam007
Weaning
Weaning

Re: Help me sex my parrot finch

Post by Sam007 » Sat Mar 26, 2016 11:11 am

Looks like a hen.
I love Gouldian Finches.

MariusStegmann
Weaning
Weaning

Post by MariusStegmann » Sat Mar 26, 2016 1:45 pm

It looks like it is still busy colouring up. By looks it could go either way, but it if sings it is a male. Is there red on the vent area? Most males show some red there.
Marius

608duj
Persistent Pursuer
Persistent Pursuer

Post by 608duj » Sat Mar 26, 2016 9:07 pm

DNA does not lie.

Haider
Mature
Mature

Post by Haider » Sun Mar 27, 2016 12:11 am

Had to saperate the bird due to fat issue. He started to sing when alone.

monotwine
Proven
Proven

Post by monotwine » Mon Mar 28, 2016 5:04 pm

Bit dubious about the blue above the red feathering. You sure on this birds parentage? No blue or other parrot finch mixed in?
Do you have a full picture of your bird?

Not to say you have a cross for sure just wondering. Some show sea green feathers but I've never seen blue on a pure blood

Haider
Mature
Mature

Post by Haider » Thu Mar 31, 2016 12:51 am

i am new to parrot finches. this bird is one of my first 3 birds i purchased. I am still learning, so not much info i can offer at the moment.

monotwine
Proven
Proven

Post by monotwine » Thu Mar 31, 2016 5:02 am

Haider as mentioned it is probably a pure bred bird as some do show colouring of seagreen and it is near impossible to know of the birds parentage unless the seller informs you or later once the bird breeds you notice inconsistencies with the offspring. It is something to be aware of if you are starting out with Parrot finches. They interbreed quite happily and make fertile offspring from such a cross.

I would still guess this is a hen more than a cock bird for 1) the colouring and lack of extended face mask 2) if this is the same bird that you posted pics of with the fatty deposits there are no red feathers near the vent area.

Even if she trills, it doesn't indicate a male for sure. A stressed (seperated) hen can trill too.
YES they are a confusing bunch to sex and the only reliable way is through DNA testing or breeding them and seeing fertile eggs laid.

#-o

Haider
Mature
Mature

Post by Haider » Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:43 am

Hello,
This is helpful info, thanks for that.

Yes this is the same bird with fat deposit near the vent. Yes the bird make trills but not like the male I have. I heard the hens do not make any noise so I thought he is male once he made trills.

As on now, the other two has babies. My mission now is to apply the basics and breed them. Thus I started with red head. I am planning to expand soon to seagreen and pied.

However, I am a bit worried about the fat. Not much info available online. This bird is in a big aviary with gouldians who has babies. So i feed them well. I have been told that parrot finches wont have fat issues in flight cages. I do not think I can accommodate big flight cage just for this bird to control feeding. Thus he stayed with the gouoldians. Not sure how I can fix this issue.