General Questions

For "miscellaneous" finch-related questions.
dunker817
Persistent Pursuer
Persistent Pursuer

General Questions

Post by dunker817 » Sun Apr 03, 2016 8:31 pm

High all, it's been a while since I posted. I do pop in and try to keep on top of things. I have some questions. First, while cleaning the finch room today I found two pale pink eggs. I was wondering if anyone knew which pair of finches they might belong to. I've heard gouldians are lay white eggs and canaries pale blue. So that leaves my cordon bleus or the parrot finches.

My other question is will finches lay eggs on the ground and sit on the eggs. One pair of my gouldians has decided to build a nest on the floor in the closet. The closet door offers a wide gap and the finches have started nesting. I've peeked in the door and it's a rather messy looking nest but they keep working on it.
Layne

One male Spanish Timbrado canary, two Grasskeets, four Cockatiels, and two Cairn Terriers.
Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened.
Antone France

finchmix22
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: General Questions

Post by finchmix22 » Sun Apr 03, 2016 11:05 pm

dunker817
The pale pink may be that they are fertile eggs, so they could be from any of your finches. Can you post a pic? Yes, finches may make a nest on the floor. As long as it holds a shape to keep the eggs from rolling around, they can hatch. I'd let the pair do their thing and watch and enjoy!
DEBORAH

dunker817
Persistent Pursuer
Persistent Pursuer

Post by dunker817 » Sun Apr 17, 2016 12:33 pm

I will get pics on the next rounds of egg laying. At this point I think it's the cordon bleus. They are doing mating rituals daily. In fact, they are doing it now. :shock: I'm worried all this egg laying will hurt the female. I have given them egg food and cando's mineral mix with extra egg shell powder. Is there anything else I need to do to see them through this mating season?
Layne

One male Spanish Timbrado canary, two Grasskeets, four Cockatiels, and two Cairn Terriers.
Antone France

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:48 am

Is the egg laying excessive? As in way more eggs in a clutch than is normal? It is surprising sometimes how many eggs they can lay without problems, but I'm always worrying about egg binding in that case. As long as they are getting egg food (is this fresh or commercial?) and are eating the mineral mix, and the number of eggs isn't excessive, they should be OK.
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

dunker817
Persistent Pursuer
Persistent Pursuer

Post by dunker817 » Mon Apr 18, 2016 8:24 pm

Sally, I'm using a commercial mix for the egg food. Can't remember who made it. I bought it at the bird mart. I have some eggs in the fridge that I think are old enough to use. My layer is giving me about 2-3 eggs at a time. I am worried about egg binding too or having calcium deficiencies.
Layne

Antone France

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Mon Apr 18, 2016 8:38 pm

dunker817 What you got at the mart is probably Volkman's, I think that was the main egg food I saw being sold. I like keeping a liquid calcium on hand too. Most of them these days include vitamin D3 to help with absorption of the calcium. If I think a hen is laying too many eggs, I can add liquid calcium to her water once or twice a week to help her out.
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

dunker817
Persistent Pursuer
Persistent Pursuer

Post by dunker817 » Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:33 pm

Sally,

Thank you for the information.

Layne
Layne

Antone France