Deformed Beak?

For "miscellaneous" finch-related questions.
Celeris
Flirty Bird
Flirty Bird

Deformed Beak?

Post by Celeris » Wed Apr 06, 2016 5:19 pm

Hey guys,

The local pet store has a little male crested society that they're attempting to adopt out. He caught my eye the other week, so I went back and asked what was going on with him. They said that, when they got him, his beak was all deformed. They took him to their vet (who also happens to be the vet I have used for years for dogs, exotics, etc) and the vet said it appears to just be a genetic deformity. He's undergone a full course of antibiotics, just in case, and received a beak trim. He will likely need routine beak trims for the rest of his life. He eats just fine and appears in perfect health otherwise.

SO my question is this: As a newer bird owner, do you think I would be equipped to add this little guy to my flock? At present, I have two male zebras (about to be three) and two male societies. They will all be housed in a large flight cage, provided everyone gets on alright. This guy did sing for me, so I know he's male.

Does anyone have experience with similar deformities? Anything I should worry about?

Thanks guys!

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: Deformed Beak?

Post by lovezebs » Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:33 pm

Celeris

He should be ok coming home with you (however I would not breed him).

If he needs an occasional beak trim, get your Vet to show you how it's done, then you can do it yourself when the need arises.

I have a female Canary, who needs a beak trim every two months or so. I just use nail clippers and a little nail file. It's really not as hard and scary as one would think.

Congratulations on your new baby Society :lol:
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Celeris
Flirty Bird
Flirty Bird

Post by Celeris » Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:52 pm

lovezebs

Thank you again! Definitely not interested in breeding; I'm very happy to have my flock of all boys.

It seems I will have to go back when I have the time and everything set up and bring this guy home. The gal at the pet store seemed so happy that someone was interested in giving him a home.

Good advice about asking the vet to teach me! I will definitely do that.

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:58 pm

You've already gotten good advice on the beak, but I wanted to add that you will need to watch the Zebras closely when you put all the birds together. Zebras can be aggressive, and the Societies are usually so laid back that they just let themselves get picked on.
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

Celeris
Flirty Bird
Flirty Bird

Post by Celeris » Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:26 pm

Thanks Sally ! I've got contingency plans in the case the zebras can't behave themselves. So far, the zebras have been pretty chill, but there's no saying what might happen when they have competition. Just gotta wait and see, I guess!