Experiences regarding - 2 or 6 females or male zebras?

For "miscellaneous" finch-related questions.
zebsoc
Wonder Wooer
Wonder Wooer

Experiences regarding - 2 or 6 females or male zebras?

Post by zebsoc » Fri Apr 15, 2016 5:19 am

I really like the female chirping of zebras - I find it very relaxing as well as cheery especially during the cold gray winter days.

However my 1 female zebra who is now in a cage alone due to her overly aggressive natural isn't happy alone and she squawks and squeaks rather than chirp most of the time.

I am tempted to buy another large cage - 64-21-35
And try anew with zebras.
I live in an apartment and am concerned that males singing would be fairly noisy and noticeable to the neighbors, while regular female chirping (unlike Squeaky) would be less noticeable/annoying.

I could put 2 females or males in a cage 37-18-18

Or consider buying the 64-21-35 for either 6 females or 6 males?

But one thing I can't stand is plucked / bullied birds. Not relaxing at all, which is whySqueaky is alone.

Any experience positive or negative with either 2 or 6? Male or female?
Can there be reasonable peace with 6 zebra finches of either if the cage is large?

I don't want to end up with multiple cages because the zebras can't be kept all together in one cage.

xz_zebs
Nestling
Nestling

Re: Experiences regarding - 2 or 6 females or male zebras?

Post by xz_zebs » Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:26 am

It is definitely doable, but you have to have the right personalities. You would need to either rehome the individuals that don't fit or get them from a source that allows you to trade-in the aggressive ones.

If you can, look into the larger zebras bred for show. They are often much calmer and sweeter tempered than the typical pet store variety. There are plenty of breeders in CA, so it should be possible to find some if you are willing to drive a little.

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:49 am

zebsoc

You can definitely keep a one sex flight.
If you are not interested in breeding or male song, then an all female flight would be a good idea.

For more peaceful cage mates, I would look for a breeder, who breeds English Zebras. These lines, are bigger, friendlier, and no where near as aggressive and combative as the usual (American) Zebras.
https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&source=w ... tTW9LenuOQ

Check out bird clubs in your area, who might be able to put you in touch with breeders.

Good luck
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Fri Apr 15, 2016 11:09 am

There are definitely quite a few reputable Zebra breeders in CA. In fact, there is an annual bird show devoted just to Zebras and Societies in Sacramento, CA. It is usually held the end of July, first of August. Of course, you probably don't want to wait that long. If you are in Southern CA, there is a very big finch club in San Diego County. They could point you to breeders.

http://www.sandiegofinchandsoftbill.com/index.html
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

zebsoc
Wonder Wooer
Wonder Wooer

Post by zebsoc » Fri Apr 15, 2016 6:41 pm

Xz, lovezebs, sally - thank you

Will look into English Zebras - less aggressive certainly would be nice

Yes do have to be prepared to get different ones if not all get along, don't want constant fighting and stress for birds nor for me.

Show sounds very interesting.
Due to health I can't travel but my family members sometimes travel during the summer, something they might be interested in seeing and taking a look at birds for me.

If ever any shows between Modesto and Madera, I could go personally which I would enjoy seeing and loking for zebras and society.
plus looking at different finches and seeing their personalities in person before considering trying different finches like owls or African silverbills later on.

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Sat Apr 16, 2016 12:56 am

zebsoc Here is a breeder in Modesto. He specializes in the more exotic species, but he might be able to point you towards other breeders in that area. I don't know this person, so can't vouch for him, but I thought I remembered seeing something about a breeder in Modesto.

http://finchzone.com/
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

zebsoc
Wonder Wooer
Wonder Wooer

Post by zebsoc » Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:00 pm

Sally - thank you, he looks like good place to start