Zebra Finch Leg Bands- Perler Beads?

For "miscellaneous" finch-related questions.
pidgepudge
Pip
Pip

Zebra Finch Leg Bands- Perler Beads?

Post by pidgepudge » Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:16 pm

So in a few places I've see Perler beads recommended as a cheap, unnumbered alternative to split leg bands for finches. Perler beads, for those that don't know, are these little beads that are often used for crafts.

Has anyone used these for zebra finches? Are they too big/too small do you know? The places I've seen them recommended are a bit inconsistent on which finch species they recommend them for.

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: Zebra Finch Leg Bands- Perler Beads?

Post by Sally » Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:58 pm

pidgepudge Check with Martie Lauster, she sells perler beads as finch leg bands.

https://sites.google.com/site/finchlegbands/
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

pidgepudge
Pip
Pip

Post by pidgepudge » Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:13 pm

Sally I did actually approach her but even on her website she lists zebra finches as being good for these, but my main concern is that most sites recommend 2.5mm leg bands for zebra finches, but perler beads appear to be 5mm in diameter? So literally twice the size. And I know a good chunk of that is just the thickness of the bead but I'm wary

I'm overly cautious with leg bands because I actually have 3 zebra finch ladies who lost their toes and in one case whole foot due to ill-sized leg bands before I got them.
Zebra finch hobbyist located in Northern Utah.
I work professionally in the husbandry of show pigeons & laboratory zebra finches, and I also rehabilitate injured and sick finches.

I'm the artist of the lovely Archangel Pigeon in my avatar!

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:14 am

pidgepudge These are not as economical as perler beads, but these seem to be very safe leg bands. Someone even gave a tip about adding these below closed leg bands, to keep the closed bands from slipping down/off. These are like tiny rubber bands.

http://nfss.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/ez.png

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:07 am

pidgepudge

I have used perler beads to colour ID babies. I usually slice each bead into two or three segments, to keep them lighter on the chick's leg.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

xz_zebs
Nestling
Nestling

Post by xz_zebs » Tue Apr 26, 2016 11:49 am

I have been using the EZ ring leg bands that Sally mentioned above for a while now and really like them. The birds seem to find them very comfortable, they are easy to use and very easy to put multiple bands on at the same time. I use 3 bands per finch (year, clutch, individual) so ease of applying multiple rings is important. You can easily pre-load the applicator with all the bands you plan to apply and slip them all on at the same time.

The negatives are the higher cost (they are still cheap), the fact that NFSS only has refills available in the small, so if you use another size you have to get a new set with a new applicator, and that they are narrow so they are harder to see from a distance.

I have had to remove 3 perler bead rings from acquired finches that ended up with sores around the band/swollen feet. Removing the band completely solved the problem so I am sure that the perler beads were the issue. I have read that other people have had the same issues, so it is not just a problem with my birds. However, there are people that have been using them for years without problems.

As for the size discrepancy - it is because the perler beads have fat walls. The outer diameter will be much larger than a real bird band with the same inner diameter because the material is much thicker.

pidgepudge
Pip
Pip

Post by pidgepudge » Tue Apr 26, 2016 4:41 pm

Sally and xz_zebs

Do I have to be a member of nfss to use the ez bands, or is that just for the numbered bands they provide?

Thanks for the great info guys!
Zebra finch hobbyist located in Northern Utah.
I work professionally in the husbandry of show pigeons & laboratory zebra finches, and I also rehabilitate injured and sick finches.

I'm the artist of the lovely Archangel Pigeon in my avatar!

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Tue Apr 26, 2016 11:56 pm

pidgepudge Only the closed aluminum numbered bands are restricted to NFSS members. Anyone can order the split plastic or the EZ rings.

Rhaevin
Pip
Pip

Post by Rhaevin » Thu Jun 02, 2016 1:56 pm

I apologize for the tardiness of my reply, but you see not only am I new to the FinchForum, I'm also incredibly new to owning finches in general. Yup, I still have that new owner smell!

As far as leg bands are concerned I had been looking for something I could use on our local Desert Finches; I wanted to be able to recognize my babies if I ever saw them again. A little digging around and I turned up these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/100-LEG-BANDS-C ... Sw7aBVJfT-

They are a rubber leg band for small birds, and fit my tiny Pip nicely without chafing or impeedsing use of the foot in any way. We're she to snag it, the rubber would stretch and her foot would simply slip free. No numbers or letters on them, but like others you could use multiples.

If anyone would like to try some, all I ask for is a postage paid envelope, addressed to yourself, so I could ship you some - just let me know how many and of what color(s). I could only purchase a packet of 100, and all I needed at the time was 4 for the fledgling finches I suddenly found myself raising.

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Thu Jun 02, 2016 7:34 pm

How are these bands applied? These might work for some of the larger finches, but I don't know that they would stay on some of the smaller waxbills.

Welcome to the forum! You mention Desert finches, we'd love to see photos. There's lots of good reading at www.finchinfo.com, where you will find many articles on finch care. If you put your general location in your profile, it makes it easier to answer locale-specific questions later on.