2 week old babies

For "miscellaneous" finch-related questions.
tweet67
Pip
Pip

2 week old babies

Post by tweet67 » Thu May 05, 2016 7:29 am

image.jpeg
So a couple of weeks ago I posted that my societies had some babies. There are 4. I can't believe how fast they grow. I woke up this morning to find one of the babies on the floor of the cage. I'm sure it fell out. There is a total of 8 socities sharing the nest. Should I just pick it up and put it back in the nest???? I don't know what to do.

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: 2 week old babies

Post by Sally » Thu May 05, 2016 9:50 am

It could have fallen out, or been knocked out by one of the adults leaving the nest, or it could be the oldest and first to venture out of the nest. I'd pick it up and put it back in the nest. If it is ready to fledge, don't be surprised if it comes right back out, or it could stay in the nest for another day or two, and then most of them will fledge the same day.
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

tweet67
Pip
Pip

Post by tweet67 » Thu May 05, 2016 1:53 pm

At what age do they normally fledge? Regardless...I put him or her back in the nest with its siblings. I have a feeling that it was knocked out. I have one female in particular that if she is in the nest and sees me walking in the room she literally bust her way threw any of the birds in her way to come out and see me :D She is my loudest and bossiest girl. If one of the other birds has a piece of romaine lettuce and she wants it...she just goes over and takes it from them. Gotta love her...she knows what she wants and goes after it :lol:

Barbara
CocoFiber Craftsman
CocoFiber Craftsman

Post by Barbara » Thu May 05, 2016 3:04 pm

I was lucky with my four society it was one day shy of of 3 weeks they fledged two one day ,one the next and two days later the last.They never flew to the bottom always was able to fly from perch to perch I put lots of perches in just before they were ready to leave nest and they flew kinda clumsy at first from perch to perch they had perches from bottom of flight cage back to nest and was pretty good about finding there way back to nest,parents would lure them from perch to perch back in the nest even during the day by the last one one more night with nest then put a perch with silk plants right where nest was no more babies they are almost three months old and all doing great.hope my experience can help you a little good luck. I think if there are enough perches going back to nest mom and dad will get them back in,at least this worked with my societies. Good luck
One canary
Two english budgies
Two Bourkes
Pair of red cheeked bleu
Pair of goldbreast
Pair of orange cheeked
Family of six ,Family of seven+three Society

tweet67
Pip
Pip

Post by tweet67 » Thu May 05, 2016 3:49 pm

Thankfully I have a wooden tray filled with Timothy hay right below the nest. That's where I found the baby. So it had a little cushion after its fall. I do have some smaller perches that I planned on putting in the cage next to the nest. I just didn't expect this to happen so soon :shock: At least it's safe back in the nest for now. I better hurry up and get those perches in.

Barbara
CocoFiber Craftsman
CocoFiber Craftsman

Post by Barbara » Thu May 05, 2016 5:30 pm

I know with mine,I think they were a little older that yours two sometimes three of them would perch at the end of the nest so I put a perch right at the opening they would come out go back in come out go back in it was a riot to watch ,but mama and dad would panic every time they came out but once they did it the parents would only feed them when they would hop back in or they would be in the nest in baby would be on perch and they would give it just a little taste to make it hop back in.and they would all come out again parents were so upset with them it was very funny to watch even know they rule the cage if dad is taking his bath all the babies jump in with him if mama is eating they take the food right out of her mouth she fly to the top perch with a piece of lettuce she has a little spot to get away from her little brats it is funny.you will enjoy them when they come out
One canary
Two english budgies
Two Bourkes
Pair of red cheeked bleu
Pair of goldbreast
Pair of orange cheeked
Family of six ,Family of seven+three Society