Fumigating - how to keep Birds safe

For "miscellaneous" finch-related questions.
zebsoc
Wonder Wooer
Wonder Wooer

Fumigating - how to keep Birds safe

Post by zebsoc » Sat May 14, 2016 6:35 pm

My new town is cockroach central.
I had always lived in an area Without cockroaches and had minimal bug problems.

Last year I had to fumigate a couple times. They get in around the door area no matter how hard I try.

The weather is getting hot and I'm starting to see them on the front porch by the door even during the day.
And last night of all things with going in and out during the day I forgot to put the sticky pads all around the door area, which collects cockroaches nightly.
I didn't have any birds last summer when I first moved into my apartment and fumigated.

I recently moved all my birds into large very heavy cages.
not cages I can carry around. Nor fit of course in my small car.

I would like to fumigate overnight. 2nd round the stuff i used made my throat and nose burn for a couple of nights. But I think that helped kill the cockroaches off better then the first time when the fumes cleared quickly but didn't kill the cockroaches.
So the birds likely shouldn't be in the apartment until the air is clear of any residue fumes?

Any experiences with fumigating with birds?
Attachments
20160412_192357-1.jpg

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: Fumigating - how to keep Birds safe

Post by Sally » Sat May 14, 2016 10:18 pm

Birds have much more fragile respiratory systems than ours. They used to carry canaries into mines, so that if the air got bad, the canaries would die, and the miners would know to get out fast! If whatever you used made your nose and throat burn, it would kill your birds. In fact, there are few pesticides that you can use around your birds.

I like Vetafarm's Avian Insect Liquidator. You will have to order it online. It will kill lots of insects, while not harming your birds at all. It is a permethrin-based pesticide, but I would hesitate to use anything that is not made to be used around birds. I live in Texas, which is a very buggy state. I do use other pesticides outside on the perimeter of the house.

If you feel you must fumigate, then you will have to put the birds in small travel cages and keep them out of the apartment overnight, and then air out the apartment very well before you bring the birds back in. You will have to wash their cages/perches/dishes very well before putting the birds back in.
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

zebsoc
Wonder Wooer
Wonder Wooer

Post by zebsoc » Sat May 14, 2016 11:42 pm

Sally thank you for the helpful information.
Hadn't realized how sensitive birds respiratory systems were.
And for the reminder that it isn't just the birds but that all their things will have to be cleaned as well before they can go back in their cages.

I will look into the Vetafarm's Avian Insect Liquidator and see if that can help before going the route of the fumigators.

Can things like Ortho or Raid can sprays be used in same room as birds or are they too strong also?

Any natural products for cockroaches such as eucalyptus or vinger that would discourage or kill cockroaches?

monotwine
Proven
Proven

Post by monotwine » Tue May 17, 2016 10:35 am

I don't think its any good fumigating for Cockroaches. Spray for them yes with a residual poison, but fumigating won't do much long term. Most fumigation stuff is contact short-term and will only kill what is present. Anything you can buy off a shelf is also usually not that strong.

So perhaps find a spray that you can use on the perimeter of your home - with no contact to your birds and prevent the critters coming in. Or one you can spray on your skirtings in the home. Though any poison you spray inside you will have to remove the birds until all fumes / smells are gone.
Otherwise you may have to send the birds away for a few days if you do fumigate to be on the safe side.

slwatson
Proud Parent
Proud Parent

Post by slwatson » Tue May 17, 2016 10:47 am

I'm actually having a really bad problem with ticks! We've never had anything like this before, but we have been getting a lot of rain recently, so maybe that's causing them to be on the move?? Both of my dogs have been treated with something that keeps the ticks from attaching to them, but the ticks still crawl on them and end up in the house. Can they hurt my birds, or will the birds eat them? We're spraying our yard soon, but I'm way too scared to use anything in the house.
Stacie
Look up Tweets & Beaks on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Tweets-Beaks-1 ... 0/?fref=ts

Babs _Owner
Molting
Molting

Post by Babs _Owner » Tue May 17, 2016 11:14 am

zebsoc

In case you decide to fumigate.....
Is your weather fair enough to just put all the cages outside for a few days? Do you cages have wheels so you can just put them onto the back patio?

That way you wont have to risk getting poison on the cages. Birds might love the California sunshine. :)

zebsoc
Wonder Wooer
Wonder Wooer

Post by zebsoc » Tue May 17, 2016 8:17 pm

Thanks everyone

The manager has mentioned that others have also been expressing concern about the cockroaches lately. He had mentioned having the place fumigated. I haven't heard back from him about having the outside sprayed. Some complexes spray monthly.

With the heat, airing will not clear the fumes well enough for jst placing them outside for a few hrs. Plus last yr with just using store bought, the fumes with the screen door and single pane windows were still strong on the patio.
The Raid fumigator really worked last yr. The Raid fogger did Not do much at all. The Fumigator even got rid of the ants in the kitchen when the fogger did not. the previous tenants had left Sugar in an open bag in a back cupboard and open can of some sticky food stuff. No ants so far this yr but see lots them on the sidewalk outside the house.

If I have to relocate birds will have to move into a hotel room. Not sure how motels feel about birds. And can't wheel the cage there.
I have put sticky pads around the house. So far only ones by the door are collecting cockroaches and other bugs.

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Tue May 17, 2016 9:45 pm

If you have to take the birds to a hotel temporarily, put them in smaller cages, they will be fine for a short period of time. After all, show birds stay in show cages for many days at a time when they go to out-of-town shows, and they are perfectly OK with it. I always give my birds NV powder (or any electrolyte for birds) to get them through stressful times.

A tip for in a hotel. Take an old sheet and lay it on the floor, then put the cages in the middle of the sheet. When you are ready to leave, take the sheet outside and shake out all the bird seed. This will save getting bird seed in the carpet (and the housekeeping staff will thank you).

zebsoc
Wonder Wooer
Wonder Wooer

Post by zebsoc » Wed May 18, 2016 12:51 am

Sally - thank you, very helpful ideas if need to go to a motel with them.

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Wed May 18, 2016 10:25 am

I forgot to add, La Quinta Inns are pet friendly. My niece goes to dog shows, and that is where she stays when possible, because they allow pets.

zebsoc
Wonder Wooer
Wonder Wooer

Post by zebsoc » Thu May 19, 2016 2:32 pm

Sally thank you for the info, I'll check into if there is a La Quinta Inn in my town.