Noise Level For Apartment Living? Waxbills v. Diamond Doves

For "miscellaneous" finch-related questions.
rdlp123
Pip
Pip

Noise Level For Apartment Living? Waxbills v. Diamond Doves

Post by rdlp123 » Wed Jun 08, 2016 11:00 pm

Hi all! After four years in college, and after four years of not having an animal companion (thank you dorm life), I have decided to return to finch-keeping. In the past, I have had experience with zebra finches and society finches, and I love the energy that they give to one's home.

So, getting to the point...

I am moving into my first apartment ever. The apartment complex allows pets, and gladly, small animals do not incur an additional deposit. I will be moving in with two other housemates who have consented to me getting a pair of finches. I plan to house the pair in a Hagen Vision L02 cage which I got online for a great price. The housemates have also agreed that the amount of space the cage will take is fine. HOWEVER, the one worry they both have is the noise level. One of them suffers from cluster headaches, which, in for her, are set off by bright lights and loud noises.

I remember from when I had zebra finches and society finches that they could get pretty noisy. But then again, my family had an indoor aviary of finches with 12+ birds...I plan on getting two. And this time, I am set on getting a pair of orange cheeked or golden breasted waxbills. They are tiny, so I figured the noise level would be proportionate. However, I have also been considering getting a pair of diamond doves. I love how gentle and calm they are. So, in the end, I will have to decide between finch liveliness and dovely serenity, and in overall noise level.

I wanted to hear your insight on the situation, ESPECIALLY on noise level.

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: Noise Level For Apartment Living? Waxbills v. Diamond Do

Post by Sally » Wed Jun 08, 2016 11:37 pm

IMO, that cage is not big enough for Diamond Doves. They need much more flying room than that cage would allow. Male Diamond doves also have a mating call that can be quite loud, though it is soft, not harsh. I personally love the sound, but I can see it getting annoying for those who are not into birds. That cage would work for a pair of Goldbreasted Waxbills or Orange-cheeked Waxbills, and the noise level would be minimal.

Welcome to the forum! There's lots of good reading at http://www.finchinfo.com, where you will find many articles on finch care.
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

rdlp123
Pip
Pip

Post by rdlp123 » Wed Jun 08, 2016 11:59 pm

Hi Sally. Thanks for the response.

I was thinking the same in terms of space for the diamond doves. I have watched some videos on YouTube and the males coos do seem pretty loud. I think then that a pair of gold-breasted or orange-cheeked waxbills would be the ideal choices.

rdlp123
Pip
Pip

Post by rdlp123 » Thu Jun 09, 2016 12:21 pm

Also, I do not plan on doing any breeding. If I get two gold-breasted males, will they get along fine together?

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Thu Jun 09, 2016 7:12 pm

rdlp123 They will be fine. Goldbreasts are very passive, and I've never had a problem with any of them fighting. Two males will ensure you don't have to worry about breeding/eggs.
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org