Gouldian Compatibility

For "miscellaneous" finch-related questions.
pmflanigen
Pip
Pip

Gouldian Compatibility

Post by pmflanigen » Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:17 am

Hello All!

So, the day finally arrived yesterday when I received my new female white breasted gouldian finch and introduced her to my male gouldian finch. The male has always been slightly nervous but otherwise playful and sweet. In fact, the previous female was a bit overpowering for him. He is a bit more than a year old now and is finishing up molting.

When I introduced the two he immediately went into his mating dance and tried jumping on top of her. she shook him off. They are not fighting and he occasionally playfully necks at her. they are both more or less calm, she sits around very quiet and he moves about more.

while his attempt was unsuccessful (I pray) I am wondering, what are the signs that a pair is incompatible? What can i do to ease the process of assimilation?

Thanks of the help!

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: Gouldian Compatibility

Post by Sally » Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:20 am

Sometimes I will place birds in adjacent cages if possible, so I can see if they are attracted to each other. If they are, they soon are hanging on the sides of the two cages, trying to get together. Often, it takes a while for a pair to warm up to each other. Also, if one is in breeding mode and the other isn't, this can cause problems.
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

pmflanigen
Pip
Pip

Post by pmflanigen » Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:32 pm

Sally wrote: Sometimes I will place birds in adjacent cages if possible, so I can see if they are attracted to each other. If they are, they soon are hanging on the sides of the two cages, trying to get together. Often, it takes a while for a pair to warm up to each other. Also, if one is in breeding mode and the other isn't, this can cause problems.
I have a feeling that might be the issue, should i sepperate them?

Stuart whiting
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Stuart whiting » Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:36 pm

Sally wrote: Sometimes I will place birds in adjacent cages if possible, so I can see if they are attracted to each other. If they are, they soon are hanging on the sides of the two cages, trying to get together. Often, it takes a while for a pair to warm up to each other. Also, if one is in breeding mode and the other isn't, this can cause problems.
Quite agree Sally this is exactly what we used to do here in England when it comes to breeding mules, 9 out 10 it'd usually be the cock finch is not ready and the treading of the birds would often be mistimed :roll:

Placing the birds in std box breeding cages with a wire slide in between the birds is often the best way,

When the birds start to show obvious signs towards one another the slide can be pulled out half way, if the birds don't accept each other and squabble you can then quickly shut the slide off again :D

pmflanigen
Pip
Pip

Post by pmflanigen » Wed Jun 22, 2016 3:24 pm

ok,
I have them in separate cages that are adjacent to one another, this seems to have them returning to normal behavior.

thanks for the help