Does anyone have time for anything else?

For "miscellaneous" finch-related questions.
LiverpoolLayers
Pip
Pip

Re: Does anyone have time for anything else?

Post by LiverpoolLayers » Wed Jul 06, 2016 6:50 pm

I am a fire fighter so work shifts which suits my bird hobby. I keep 50 birds currently (including two mandarin ducks). It takes me almost 3 hours to clean them all and I do this twice a week. After working a night shift I will have a few hours sleep then clean them in the afternoon. Then between these 3 hour cleans, I just spend 20 minutes of a morning changing the water and seed etc.

Some of my colleagues play golf and I guess they spend more time on the golf course than I do cleaning my birds. If I had a 9-5pm job here's no way I could keep this many birds.
Strawberry finch, parsons finch, Green singer, cordon bleus, Gouldians, St Helena waxbills, Diamond Fire tails, owl finches, cut throats, parrot finches, zebra's, spice finch, hecks finch, bengelese finch, peach faced love birds, masked lovebirds, canaries, Java's, Bullfinch, Goldfinch and a pair of mandarin ducks

jimenezl
Fledgeling
Fledgeling

Post by jimenezl » Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:31 am

Hello LiverpoolLayers and thanks for your reply. I certainly think I can manage at least half of the time you spend tending to the birds, so I will aim for 25 finches!! :D

Kidding aside, one aspect that was not obvious, either in the question or the answers, is that I so enjoy just watching them (it's extremely therapeutic) that I need to include time to spend just sitting in front of them.

Cheers,
Luis
Two RC Cordon Bleu,

Spreckles
3 Eggs Laid
3 Eggs Laid

Post by Spreckles » Sat Jul 09, 2016 6:52 pm

Elana jimenezl
I serve up a half a plate of finely chopped greens every day. Finches are really feathered bovine in disguise.

Your never safe because of space. Cages stack. Its amazing how you view a place differently looking for Bird housing. People have made aviaries out of China cabinets. This Bird addiction when it strikes has its ways!!!!

Karen