Does anyone have time for anything else?

For "miscellaneous" finch-related questions.
jimenezl
Fledgeling
Fledgeling

Does anyone have time for anything else?

Post by jimenezl » Tue Jul 05, 2016 9:38 am

Hello Finchforum members,

I knew (forgot) that keeping finches was a lot of work, and pleasant most times. But, the amount of time one has to dedicate to the birdies can be a lot. I have a full-time job, and probably spend an hour or so every afternoon after work, and a few hours on the weekend. The thing is, I only have four birds!! What happens when I have 10 breeding pairs? Sounds like a full-time job to me, doesn't it?

I'd like to know how y'all manage your time: how much effort you put into this hobby/passion on a daily/weekly basis; if you do this part-time, and who is doing this full-time. I would love to see examples of your schedules if it's not much to ask.

Greatly appreciate your response,

Luis
Two RC Cordon Bleu,

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: Does anyone have time for anything else?

Post by lovezebs » Tue Jul 05, 2016 1:27 pm

jimenezl

Yes, Finch keeping is time consuming.
When it becomes a chore and no longer a pleasureable passion, it's time to rehome the birds.

I usually spend around an hour+ a day , with more time when I do a bigger cleaning job or redecorate flights, etc. When there are babies that need hand feeding, or a sickly bird, of course more time is needed.

If one keeps on top of the cleaning , things tend to stay manageable, and become a routine. I find large flights easier to deal with than a whole bunch of smaller cages.

Usually dishes are collected into a large Tupperware container, and put to soak in hot water, and bleach/ dishsoap solution . In the meanwhile, soiled papers are removed and replaced in the flights. Seed hulls, are either swept or vacuumed out. A quick wipe of soiled perches with water and vinegar mix follows (as needed).

Clean dishes are filled with fresh seed, veggies, and egg food. Clean water dispensers filled and placed in flights, along with bath dishes.

Floors are swept and vacuumed.
Soaked dishes are washed and put to dry.

And you're done.

Once a week or so, I wipe down walls (as needed), and damp mop the floor.
Once a month (give or take), I wash fake greenery and redecorate flights if I feel like it, adding, replacing perches, etc.

I have Canaries, Gouldians, Zebras, Societies, Red throated Parrots, Orange Cheeks, Goldbreasts, Red Ears, African Fires, Cordon Bleus, Cut throat, Strawberries, Shaft tails, Star, and a Budgie. Altogether, there are around 80 birds give or take (haven't counted lately, lol).
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

jimenezl
Fledgeling
Fledgeling

Post by jimenezl » Tue Jul 05, 2016 3:14 pm

lovezebs,
Seems you have a good system - thanks for sharing. I can see that organization and preparation is key here. I'm not afraid of work, and am really just looking to see how much I could handle before it takes all my free time ;-)
It prob has to do with the fact that I have many hobbies and don't manage my time well...
Do you prepare the veggies ahead of time, like, a week's worth, or prepare each daily serving from 'scratch'?
Thanks,
Luis
Two RC Cordon Bleu,

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Tue Jul 05, 2016 3:36 pm

jimenezl

I like to make things fresh.
If you chop veggies, fruit, etc. And fridge it, it tends to get squishy and gross (blah).

I will occasionally make egg food for two days, but the kids prefer fresh, lol.

He's a couple of plates of today's offering before tossing them into the flights, and a picture of yesterday's plates.
Attachments
20160705_133059.jpg
20160705_131612.jpg
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

jimenezl
Fledgeling
Fledgeling

Post by jimenezl » Tue Jul 05, 2016 3:51 pm

Oh my...That's a high bar! You're a champion, alright =D>
Two RC Cordon Bleu,

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Tue Jul 05, 2016 3:52 pm

~Elana~

Spreckles
3 Eggs Laid
3 Eggs Laid

Post by Spreckles » Tue Jul 05, 2016 4:33 pm

They love to eat!!!

JerseyGuy
Callow Courter
Callow Courter

Post by JerseyGuy » Tue Jul 05, 2016 5:00 pm

I have 2 Finches. 2 Male Gouldian Finches. I am Retired, and don't spend a lot of time per day with the chores attached to finch ownership. When I had Parrots, That was a lot more work, and those birds were out of the cage and required constant attention. So, to me, owning Finches is an absolute delight.

I do not know how those who have more than 2 finches handle all the work, let alone those that have breeding pairs and all that goes along with that. I give you all credit. I could not do it. I have 2 Male
Gouldian finches, and I love them. I could not handle any more than what I have.
Patrick

1 Male Gouldian finch, 1 Senegal Parrot, 1 English Bulldog and 1 Chiweenie.

delray
Tech Assistant, Social Media Manager & Mod Extraordinaire
Tech Assistant, Social Media Manager & Mod Extraordinaire

Post by delray » Tue Jul 05, 2016 5:06 pm

jimenezl I am very busy as well. I have 2 finches, and it is a bit of work as well. If you feel that you would like to pursue other hobbies as well as have finches, maybe consider not getting any more pairs and not breeding? Tough decision.

Brian
Brian
Phineas: Lightly Pied Chestnut
Ferb: Dilute Fawn

FINCHforum Moderator & Social Media Manager

Instagram: https://instagram.com/finchforum/
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/FINCHforum

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Tue Jul 05, 2016 5:46 pm

Spreckles

Yes, that's one of their favorite pass times, chuckle. One of the reasons why I like them indulging in more greens etc. so that they don't pack on the extra weight which eating seeds alone seems to bring on.
~Elana~

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Tue Jul 05, 2016 5:48 pm

JerseyGuy

Absolutely nothing wrong with having only a couple of birds for companionship and enjoyment.

....I was going to have only one Canary, ahem.... :wink:
~Elana~

JerseyGuy
Callow Courter
Callow Courter

Post by JerseyGuy » Tue Jul 05, 2016 5:52 pm

HaHa....Fortunately, my home can not accommodate more than One Bird cage ..... so I'm safe :wink:
Patrick

1 Male Gouldian finch, 1 Senegal Parrot, 1 English Bulldog and 1 Chiweenie.

jimenezl
Fledgeling
Fledgeling

Post by jimenezl » Tue Jul 05, 2016 6:00 pm

Well, I appreciate your advise, delray and jerseyguy. I already have hobbies that I enjoy and take a little of my time, like bonsai, drumming, cooking, eating ..:-). I also have to set time aside to share with my wife. And I like to watch movies every once in a while.
I sometimes wish I had nothing else to do but keep birds, try my hand at breeding for a living. Can someone do that while keeping other commitments? Doubt it, right?

@lovezebs, do you provide your yummy feast in the morning?
Thanks,
Luis
Two RC Cordon Bleu,

OAvila1986
Fledgeling
Fledgeling

Post by OAvila1986 » Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:23 pm

jimenezl
I have 2 cages don't know the exact measurements. But they aren't big nor to small. Perfect size for my 5 finches soon to be more. I leave them indoors at night and go out every morning so picking up after them is out doors, so I don't worry about the mess. I let the wind take care of that.
I just spend like 6 min. Every morning feeding them food and water then takING them out side where they sit all day til 12 1AM at night (that's my bed time)
Some days, I'd admit don't do as often as I should, I deep clean their cage. And that takes me about half hour. And sometimes they get egg food I just boil the egg and cruch it and they get egg food every day for 4 days or until they finch the egg. Sometimes the egg goes bad in the fridge. That happens twice a month and takes 20 minutes to do so. so it is not to much time consuming for me.
| Orlando |

jimenezl
Fledgeling
Fledgeling

Post by jimenezl » Wed Jul 06, 2016 3:51 pm

oavila1986 Nice weather in LA :) No fear of vermin or cats outside?
Two RC Cordon Bleu,