Female "Babies" Talking .... a lot!

For "miscellaneous" finch-related questions.
CactusJohn5
Pip
Pip

Female "Babies" Talking .... a lot!

Post by CactusJohn5 » Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:01 pm

We recently added 3 new babies to our family of finches. They are all females, but 2 of them talk, a lot. We have 3 males and 8 females. None of the other females are as close to chatty as these two. They "mumble" all day to each other. we initially thought they might be males trying to learn their song, but as their beak color came in, we learned they are females. I joined this forum, to ask if this was something anyone else had dealt with, just to make sure they don't have something wrong?

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: Female "Babies" Talking .... a lot!

Post by Sally » Tue Jul 12, 2016 11:26 pm

I think some birds are just more chatty than others. If all your birds are related, you will want to watch out for inbreeding, as Zebras aren't hesitant to breed fathers to daughters, mothers to sons, or brothers to sisters.
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

CactusJohn5
Pip
Pip

Post by CactusJohn5 » Thu Jul 14, 2016 12:55 am

Sally wrote: I think some birds are just more chatty than others. If all your birds are related, you will want to watch out for inbreeding, as Zebras aren't hesitant to breed fathers to daughters, mothers to sons, or brothers to sisters.
It was indeed mom and son, they both were getting picked on in the "big" cage with everyone else, so we moved them to a "smaller" cage, but then we thought they were lonely so we let them keep a set of eggs and we got 3 new girls.

we have removed all nests from the 2 cages for now as we do not want anymore for a while.

COULD THE inbreeding cause vocal issues or a * defect?

Stuart whiting
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Stuart whiting » Thu Jul 14, 2016 3:13 am

CactusJohn5 wrote:
Sally wrote: I think some birds are just more chatty than others. If all your birds are related, you will want to watch out for inbreeding, as Zebras aren't hesitant to breed fathers to daughters, mothers to sons, or brothers to sisters.
It was indeed mom and son, they both were getting picked on in the "big" cage with everyone else, so we moved them to a "smaller" cage, but then we thought they were lonely so we let them keep a set of eggs and we got 3 new girls.

we have removed all nests from the 2 cages for now as we do not want anymore for a while.

COULD THE inbreeding cause vocal issues or a * defect?
Hi mate ,

It sounds as if if there is absolutely nothing wrong with yer birds,

All birds have different vocal chords even though they could be the same species,

You done right in removing the nest boxes as if yer not breeding you won't need em,

As Sally has mentioned you need to be careful about inbreeding as this won't necessarily affect the voice of the birds but will start to affect the genes, it's basically like incess and will weaken the strain,

My advice is if you intend to breed some more at a latter date I would then definitely purchase some more finches of the same species but from any different breeders and out cross yer birds a few times, by doing this you've then go no worries of closely related birds :D

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:24 am

Yes, as Stuart has said, one generation of inbreeding is most likely not going to cause birth defects. It is when it continues for more generations that problems start to show up.
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

CactusJohn5
Pip
Pip

Post by CactusJohn5 » Sat Jul 16, 2016 1:53 am

If i have more questions should i make a new thread or keep posting them here?