Poor little girl...

For "miscellaneous" finch-related questions.
DamonIRB
Mature
Mature

Poor little girl...

Post by DamonIRB » Thu Jul 28, 2016 3:33 pm

We moved our pair of Red Ear Waxbills to a new flight about 6 weeks ago. We've had them for 3+ years and they have NEVER been even remotely interested in breeding. At times we would provide a nest box, nesting material, a higher protein and calcium diet to support them if they did decide to get friendly, but nothing. Not a single egg from her in all this time. This morning she was on the bottom of the flight, panting like she was overheated. I got her some liquid calcium immediately, moved her to the hospital cage with the brooder lamp, then a mild baytril solution about 20 minutes later, just in case is was something respiratory. 30 minutes later, she was dead. There was a hard lump at her vent, so I guess she was egg bound and had been for awhile by the time we found her.

He hasn't made a peep since we took her out of the cage. We have a bird show coming up in our area the end of August - I hope we can find another Red Ear for him. Any thoughts? Will he die of loneliness before then? If we got a Society to keep him company, should we get two, just in case we do find a female in August? Would getting only one Society be bad if we do find a female Red Ear? Would the lone Society then be lonesome?

Thanks in advance for any input.

D

Stuart whiting
Weaning
Weaning

Re: Poor little girl...

Post by Stuart whiting » Thu Jul 28, 2016 3:56 pm

DamonIRB wrote: We moved our pair of Red Ear Waxbills to a new flight about 6 weeks ago. We've had them for 3+ years and they have NEVER been even remotely interested in breeding. At times we would provide a nest box, nesting material, a higher protein and calcium diet to support them if they did decide to get friendly, but nothing. Not a single egg from her in all this time. This morning she was on the bottom of the flight, panting like she was overheated. I got her some liquid calcium immediately, moved her to the hospital cage with the brooder lamp, then a mild baytril solution about 20 minutes later, just in case is was something respiratory. 30 minutes later, she was dead. There was a hard lump at her vent, so I guess she was egg bound and had been for awhile by the time we found her.

He hasn't made a peep since we took her out of the cage. We have a bird show coming up in our area the end of August - I hope we can find another Red Ear for him. Any thoughts? Will he die of loneliness before then? If we got a Society to keep him company, should we get two, just in case we do find a female in August? Would getting only one Society be bad if we do find a female Red Ear? Would the lone Society then be lonesome?

Thanks in advance for any input.

D
Hi Damon,

I'm very sorry to hear about your hen waxbill, yes it most certainly sounds like yer hen was egg bound :(

Your cock waxbill will be ok on his own for a fair while as there stronger little birds than what many may think, it would obviously be good if you can find a hen for him sometime and a couple of society finches should be quite ok with him :D

Hope you find some birds soon :mrgreen:

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:42 pm

DamonIRB Sorry you lost your hen, and it does sound like she was egg bound. Odd that they never showed any interest in breeding in the past.

I agree with Stuart, the male will be fine until you can see if you can get a new mate for him. One thing to keep in mind is that he may be an older bird, if you get a young mate for him, you may be faced one day with finding a replacement for him.
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

Stuart whiting
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Stuart whiting » Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:03 am

Sally wrote: DamonIRB Sorry you lost your hen, and it does sound like she was egg bound. Odd that they never showed any interest in breeding in the past.

I agree with Stuart, the male will be fine until you can see if you can get a new mate for him. One thing to keep in mind is that he may be an older bird, if you get a young mate for him, you may be faced one day with finding a replacement for him.
Quite agree Sally :D