Music ~ Does anyone provide music to their birds?

For "miscellaneous" finch-related questions.
lem2bert
1 Egg Laid
1 Egg Laid

Re: Music ~ Does anyone provide music to their birds?

Post by lem2bert » Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:44 am

I do not hear environmental sounds coming from my birds, but they do seem to like the music and sounds like vacuum cleaner and dishes clanking so maybe they just like noise :lol:
Betty 1 toy poodle and canary.

Madcat
2 Eggs Laid
2 Eggs Laid

Post by Madcat » Sun Aug 28, 2016 12:45 pm

Sally. Yep done the same thing! Really neat! Everybody gets all fired up. @ Paul stunning!!!!!!
30+ Gouldians
1 Red Cheeked Cordon Bleu
1 White Society
1 Fawn Owl

Paul's Amazing Birds
Flirty Bird
Flirty Bird

Post by Paul's Amazing Birds » Sun Aug 28, 2016 4:28 pm

Not up on canary genetics as it applies to their song but love to watch my young males go off by themselves in the Fall to a tree branch in some outside corner of the aviary to practice their first songs. Looks to me like they're practicing anyway...very soft almost inaudible song at first but then as the weeks go by, towards January they turn up the volume and start belting it out for the females, sometimes aggressively posturing themselves singing directly at other males.

I have one adult male that likes to sing on a single note - sometimes for 10 seconds or more. Not what judges like to see in song competitions I'm sure, but interesting just the same.

I heard from another collector somewhere that male canaries need other males in order to imprint their songs - otherwise they don't sing very much or very well. If that's true, genetics has everything to do with whether they sing or not but the quality and length of their song could be a learned behavior. We'll see if that's true if I have any unrelated males singing the one note "Aria" next Spring.

Not much canary song going on now because of the Aug/Sept molt but the other species keep the place filled with their sweet courtship songs.
Favorite hobby is continuing to improve on a landscaped, weather protected, 500 sq ft mixed aviary with 23 fascinating species. 30 years in the making; currently have
19 different Finch species, 2 types of Doves, plus 23 Button Quail and 30 pair of clear Red Factor Canaries.

Stuart whiting
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Stuart whiting » Sun Aug 28, 2016 5:39 pm

Interesting pual, now I don't confess to know an awful lot about singing canaries in the states but back here in England over the last century canary song was once a very big issue here,

Yes yer definitely Wright there that it's all to do with genetics, being onest pual I thought it was all berloney ( rubbish ) but was taught and explained to by some of the best old school fanciers in my early days.

There are specific tapes / cd's that can be bought for German Herts mountain roller and waterslager canaries aswell as British gold finch and linnet discs, these are normally played to the birds at a very young age basically as soon as they are weaned and separated from the parents and the discs are constantly playing on long play recorders to train the birds,

The reason for knowing this is because I specifically done this meself with British linnets for about 10 years :mrgreen:

delray
Tech Assistant, Social Media Manager & Mod Extraordinaire
Tech Assistant, Social Media Manager & Mod Extraordinaire

Post by delray » Sun Aug 28, 2016 5:42 pm

I've done the same as Sally and madcat . I don't usually play music for them, but sometimes I play clips of birds chirping. It's fun to watch their moods change from normal to extremely excited. Most of the time my family and I make soft noises with our mouth and it makes my birds thrilled.
Brian
Phineas: Lightly Pied Chestnut
Ferb: Dilute Fawn

FINCHforum Moderator & Social Media Manager

Instagram: https://instagram.com/finchforum/
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/FINCHforum

JerseyGuy
Callow Courter
Callow Courter

Post by JerseyGuy » Fri Sep 02, 2016 9:52 am

I Keep Music Choice on all Day long on the TV. It's good for my birds and good for my dogs ...... and Me ! :D
Patrick

1 Male Gouldian finch, 1 Senegal Parrot, 1 English Bulldog and 1 Chiweenie.

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Fri Sep 02, 2016 12:27 pm

JerseyGuy

When my Canary boy Luciano was an only Canary among Zebras and Societies, he started to mimic the Societies song. It was really quite horrible, so I began playing different Canary songs off the Internet for him. It did help somewhat.

Once he was introduced to two female Canaries, his song reverted right back to pure Canary. Now both his sons and himself have singing contests.

Amazingly enough, they do appear to really love the vacuume cleaner :D.

As to the rest of the crew, they do seem to get very excited, when they hear forrest or jungle sounds with bird song.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~