Until 1 month ago they were lovers, now they're fighting?

For "miscellaneous" finch-related questions.
Stuart whiting
Weaning
Weaning

Re: Until 1 month ago they were lovers, now they're fighting

Post by Stuart whiting » Sun Aug 21, 2016 10:42 am

RaduPalanga

All sounds good mate,

as mentioned earlier the pecking is onestly nothing, there basically just testing one another, many birds do this and is quite normal :D

If the cock bird continuesly chases the hen around the cage and pins her to the floor then separate them immediately but I don't onestly think it will come to that

Babs _Owner
Molting
Molting

Post by Babs _Owner » Sun Aug 21, 2016 11:40 am

Stuart whiting

Agreed. Ive used this technique with my gouldians. Even juveniles can become territorial when a new group of juvies are introduced. I usually remove everything, rearrange and put them back in.

Fighting is not the biggest worry for me. Its the food and water guarding that can take place and put a real stress on a new bird's ability to eat and drink.

RaduPalanga
Nestling
Nestling

Post by RaduPalanga » Sun Aug 21, 2016 12:50 pm

Babs wrote: RaduPalanga

If you feel the male is being territorial and keeping her from food and water. Simply do this.

Remove both birds in a safe box/cage.

Remove all items from cage.

Empty the nest.
This is a good time to quickly do a cage cleaning.

Put back in the items, but completely rearrange them.

Put the nest in empty in a different spot. Refill your nesting cage with materials.

Now reintroduce the pair to the cage at the same time. This way they are both going into new territory at the same time. This usually removes the guarding behavior from the original occupant (your male). And both birds see it as a brand new cage and equal territory.
Yeah, that's never gonna happen, lol. We spent like 1 hour arranging the cage the way it is now. See those white sheets glued to the cage? We used zip ties to "glue" them on the back of the cage, so that coco strands & debries the birds throw away won't end up OUT of the cage (easier for cleaning, you know).

So... the position of the nest is staying as it is. Just like everything else. I can't move around the food "canisters", as the other two slots are already blocked by that white sheet.

Besides, me and my gf are leaving town (seaside, here we come!) on Tuesday early morning, so... I guess by the time we come back, they'll have already gotten used to one another :D
(don't worry, my mom will change their water twice a day and food :p )

RaduPalanga
Nestling
Nestling

Post by RaduPalanga » Sun Aug 21, 2016 12:54 pm

Stuart whiting wrote: RaduPalanga

All sounds good mate,

as mentioned earlier the pecking is onestly nothing, there basically just testing one another, many birds do this and is quite normal :D

If the cock bird continuesly chases the hen around the cage and pins her to the floor then separate them immediately but I don't onestly think it will come to that
He hasn't "pinned" her down to the floor. Well, depends on what you actually mean by that. I did see him kind of "scaring" her away, so that she drops to the ground & stays there for a while. But the male doesn't chase her (actually go down on the ground) further, he just "scares" her off & she drops :D

The cock seems to be less violent towards the hen now (24+ hours later). If they were to be fighting, I think I would have known by now, huh :P

Still, the cock seemed to love the old cock (lol) more. I mean they cuddled. I don't see the cock & hen cuddling now - needless to say, neither is he "caressing" her head as he did with the old finch. But they had ~3 months to get familiar with each other, while this white hen is all new, so... yeah...

Oh, hey, since you mentioned the staying up late thing earlier... At what time of day should I cover the finches? 8 PM or what? Keep in mind that it's getting (very) dark at around 9.30 PM. Should I cover them around the time the sun goes down, or when it's dark outside? :D

RaduPalanga
Nestling
Nestling

Post by RaduPalanga » Sun Aug 21, 2016 12:57 pm

Babs wrote: Stuart whiting

Agreed. Ive used this technique with my gouldians. Even juveniles can become territorial when a new group of juvies are introduced. I usually remove everything, rearrange and put them back in.

Fighting is not the biggest worry for me. Its the food and water guarding that can take place and put a real stress on a new bird's ability to eat and drink.
The hen does drink water. He never guarded the water "canister". He only guarded the food part, but allowed her "permission" shortly after :D

Babs _Owner
Molting
Molting

Post by Babs _Owner » Sun Aug 21, 2016 1:44 pm

RaduPalanga

I'm glad it worked out okay. I will caution with zebra aggression and territory disputes, that cage rearranging might become a very necessary reality in the future, especially if breeding. Enjoy your vacation!

RaduPalanga
Nestling
Nestling

Post by RaduPalanga » Sun Aug 21, 2016 3:02 pm

I'm glad it worked out okay. I will caution with zebra aggression and territory disputes, that cage rearranging might become a very necessary reality in the future, especially if breeding. Enjoy your vacation!
Oh man :(

I'll see how things go. Hope they get along together without having to rearrange things around their home.

Babs _Owner
Molting
Molting

Post by Babs _Owner » Sun Aug 21, 2016 4:09 pm

RaduPalanga

We all learn as we go along. I would however be sure to buy a 2nd cage for back up, and to make room for the babies you will eventually have to put them in after they wean. ;)

RaduPalanga
Nestling
Nestling

Post by RaduPalanga » Sun Aug 21, 2016 5:36 pm

We all learn as we go along. I would however be sure to buy a 2nd cage for back up, and to make room for the babies you will eventually have to put them in after they wean. ;)
Well, luckily, my cage seems to have been built with that in mind - splitting up. It's got a gap at the very half, and I could insert a sheet of something to separate the cage into two halves. I mean I can't find any other explanation for why it's designed that way.

Stuart whiting
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Stuart whiting » Sun Aug 21, 2016 6:39 pm

RaduPalanga

Pinning down is exactly what it means , can't explain it any easier :roll: if you jump on someone's back and hold down on the floor....that is exactly what is meant :mrgreen:

Anyhow I wouldn't worry about that to much as this probably won't happen as you say they seem to be getting on better now as I told you that they most likely would do,

I'd just leave em be and stop fussing around as much as I mentioned earlier they ve just been introduced and need to sus one another out, a little bit of bickering has been shown but like I say this is normal,

When it comes to covering them up its basic common sence, the birds outside in the wild go to roost at dusk, when it's getting dark, so this would be an ideal time to cover yer cage :-BD

Enjoy yer day at the sea side on Tuesday :mrgreen:

Stuart whiting
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Stuart whiting » Sun Aug 21, 2016 6:47 pm

Babs absolutely agree :-BD

Zebra territory disputes can be awkward to sought out at the best of times and quite often needs the cage to be rearranged :mrgreen:
Last edited by Stuart whiting on Sun Aug 21, 2016 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stuart whiting
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Stuart whiting » Sun Aug 21, 2016 6:49 pm

Babs and again absolutely agree :mrgreen:

Like you say another cage needs to be bought for placing the weaned baby zebras into aswell as a general back up cage.

RaduPalanga
Nestling
Nestling

Post by RaduPalanga » Mon Aug 22, 2016 2:24 am

Stuart whiting wrote: RaduPalanga

Pinning down is exactly what it means , can't explain it any easier :roll: if you jump on someone's back and hold down on the floor....that is exactly what is meant :mrgreen:

Anyhow I wouldn't worry about that to much as this probably won't happen as you say they seem to be getting on better now as I told you that they most likely would do,
Ah, no, he doesn't do that. I thought that by "pinning down" you guys mean something else (not really just actually pinning down :D ).
Stuart whiting wrote: I'd just leave em be and stop fussing around as much as I mentioned earlier they ve just been introduced and need to sus one another out, a little bit of bickering has been shown but like I say this is normal,
I'm not fussing around :D just sharing my thoughts & such :p
Stuart whiting wrote: When it comes to covering them up its basic common sence, the birds outside in the wild go to roost at dusk, when it's getting dark, so this would be an ideal time to cover yer cage :-BD
Right. My apologies, I was relying on what the pet shop employees have told me a while back (but we already concluged that they're full of bull).
Stuart whiting wrote: Enjoy yer day at the sea side on Tuesday :mrgreen:
Thank you :)

Stuart whiting
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Stuart whiting » Mon Aug 22, 2016 4:46 am

RaduPalanga

Hi mate,

Thank you for yer reply, as you know I will onestly do what I can to help aswell as everyone else, I may have a little giggle with yer as some questions are so very seriously obvious but will often try to explain,

It's actually good that you've asked so many questions and are trying to learn as much as poss :-BD

I'm very pleased that yer zebs are now settling down in their cage,

What ever you do please don't take pet shop staff information as gospel as most of the time information that is given is completely useless as all there really interested in is to make a sale ~X(

Have a good day for tomorrow at the beach :mrgreen:

RaduPalanga
Nestling
Nestling

Post by RaduPalanga » Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:59 am

Stuart whiting
@Babs
@haroun

They laid eggs! Check the new topic here! :D