Until 1 month ago they were lovers, now they're fighting?

For "miscellaneous" finch-related questions.
RaduPalanga
Nestling
Nestling

Until 1 month ago they were lovers, now they're fighting?

Post by RaduPalanga » Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:35 am

So, I've had my pair of finches since May, I think. It's been 3 months since then.

I initially made a topic about them here. It's been a long time since then...

1 month ago or so I put in a much larger basket inside the cage, for them to build their nest on. They have built it, and I guess it's finished. I'll upload a photo of the nest, so you guys can see. The basket is 20 centimeters long, ~10 centimeters wide and more than 5 centimeters deep. Big enough for them, I'd say! Maybe too big...
Oh and sorry for the blurred photo. I can't get the basket to go into focus!

Until the beginning of July (I think), they were breeding (basically, male goes on the female's back, I guess that's breeding :D )... Now, when I hear them making those breeding-specific noises and look at them, all I can see is them fighting. Well, not sure if it's a fight or not, but basically, the female chases the male around, until he sort of GIVES UP (?!) and stops running, then SHE jumps on HIS back. That's one behaviour.
Other times, I can hear the male making a very abrupt noise (similar to a crow, but not as loud, you know - really not sure how else to put this, and my attempts at recording them when they're doing this have failed) and see him falling from the sticks. With her looking down at him. When he goes back up, several minutes later, she starts chasing him around. Not immediately, but it does look like a recurrent thing...

When they're not fighting, they are "cuddling" and such. I did see the male "scratching" the female's head (and vice-versa), which I know is a love sign. But they're just not breeding anymore. Also, there are no eggs laid... :(
Attachments
IMG_20160811_163056.jpg

haroun
Incubating
Incubating

Re: Until 1 month ago they were lovers, now they're fighting

Post by haroun » Thu Aug 11, 2016 10:04 am

hi
@RaduPalanga are u sure that u have a pair not two males ; i can see a pied cok what about the other one?
try to remove the nest and see if still fighting !

RaduPalanga
Nestling
Nestling

Post by RaduPalanga » Thu Aug 11, 2016 11:02 am

They're a pair, yes.

I put in the basket because I was expecting her to lay some egg :D

Before I put in that big basket, I had this. They over-did it (filled it with stuff to the point where they could barely fit inside anymore) and when there were no cocco strips and stuff for them to build the nest with, the female started to "harass" the male (or so it seemed). That's why I changed the basket with a (much) larger one...
Attachments
IMG_20160811_175811.jpg

RaduPalanga
Nestling
Nestling

Post by RaduPalanga » Thu Aug 11, 2016 4:42 pm

Oh boy... I think I may have two males, actually. Can you please take a look at the photo above and tell me... are they really a pair?!

Up until now I KNEW they are boy & girl. He has the stripe on his chest, while she has no stripe at all.

Now, my girlfriend look deeper on Google... And she found this image.

Also... she found this Florida Fancy Zebra Finch mutation. Which... I guess what the finch I thought was the female has. It's actually a male, which has that mutation... so it looks like a female. :(

Am I right about this?!
Attachments
8dc6db7f3e65a9bd682e7b855c3dcc78.jpg
8dc6db7f3e65a9bd682e7b855c3dcc78.jpg (11.1 KiB) Viewed 1770 times

Stuart whiting
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Stuart whiting » Thu Aug 11, 2016 6:49 pm

RaduPalanga wrote: They're a pair, yes.

I put in the basket because I was expecting her to lay some egg :D

Before I put in that big basket, I had this. They over-did it (filled it with stuff to the point where they could barely fit inside anymore) and when there were no cocco strips and stuff for them to build the nest with, the female started to "harass" the male (or so it seemed). That's why I changed the basket with a (much) larger one...
Sorry to tell yer mate but there's no chance in breeding anything and is why there constantly fighting :roll:

You've got 2 cock birds !

One is a pied and the other looks like a Florida fancy :mrgreen:

Onest opinion is that you definitely need to separate them and try to find some hens for them :-BD

haroun
Incubating
Incubating

Post by haroun » Thu Aug 11, 2016 8:52 pm

http://www.finchinfo.com/

@RaduPalanga yes you have two boys so you will never see an egg lol
One is pied and the second is euro isabelle no ff in romania i supose but ur girl have a good sight she wasnt so far
Can we got a more closen pic of the second if he is more than a regular isa, i think he ismore orangish may he is orange breast or pheao
Now to get eggs you have to found hens for each one, btw do not put two pairs in ther same box even if no nest is there or u will the zebra war and it is a worst and not very good to see
see the finchforum center page ypu will find lotof info about zebra
Last edited by haroun on Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

w.l.
Incubating
Incubating

Post by w.l. » Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:00 pm

Two males or two females will often cuddle, "scratch" each other's head (as you put it) and even build a common nest and sleep in it together.
This is no confirmation of them being a true bonded pair, but simply results from the strong social drive of estrildid finches. They desperately need company and if no real partner is provided, they will befriend a same sex bird or even one of a different (though similar) species.
Of course such "pairs" won't breed! :-)

Try exchanging one of your males for a hen, or if you feel attached to both, get a second cage and 2 (sure!) hens and house them separately.
Do NOT just add 2 hens in the same cage - it will likely just lead to more fighting.

haroun
Incubating
Incubating

Post by haroun » Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:04 pm

A second look to the isa cok let me thinking that he is a combo means he is phaeo so he is Isabelle and black breast :two timeq beautifull congrats
Found him a hen :phaeo'isa or bb to keep the line

RaduPalanga
Nestling
Nestling

Post by RaduPalanga » Fri Aug 12, 2016 7:37 am

Stuart whiting
@haroun
@w.l.

Damn, I tried this tagging thing (@) but it doesn't work as expected. Hope you guys still get a notification for this.

Yep, my girlfriend started looking deeper on Google yesterday and she found that website & photo I posted in the previous post. Really interesting...
We both figured there's no way the pet shop employees would have been aware of this mutation (Florida Fancy) at the time of purchase (plus, given the fact that you can't expect those employees to be experts - I mean, I had to visit 5 pet shops until I found a guy who knew his stuff and recommended us good UV light for my gf's turtle; all the other employees up until that one said "oh no, turtles don't need UV", one even said UV would kill the turtle, LOL) - but I'll let them know. Will go to the shop soon... next week maybe - can't do it this week, so hope the two finches won't fight to the death lol.

Here's a video I recorded & uploaded to YouTube. Figured that'd be better than just photos. Pardon my silly voice - try not to laugh.

I'll have to give one away, if I can't exchange it for a hen at the pet shop. I hope I can do an exchange, though... And I'll keep the Florida Fancy and give the other one away. What's the other one called? :D

Oh and there's no way I can get a second cage. Space is already limited. :(

PS: I just realised this. Back when I created the previous topic (which can be found here), I also put up some videos showing the finches. No one said they're not a pair :(

haroun
Incubating
Incubating

Post by haroun » Fri Aug 12, 2016 1:29 pm

Hi
@RaduPalanga
you can use the notifier this user link when post replay
So if keep one i suggest to keep isa (ff as you like it) because he is so beautifll pied is so common and also starting with one pair is the best option .
But for me the ff is not one but he is phaeo :lookat at his cheek patches they extended the top of the head sign of black breast and he has some orange on his back a'd wings. Lucky guy are u =D>
@cindy can please confirm the id of that isa cok

RaduPalanga
Nestling
Nestling

Post by RaduPalanga » Fri Aug 12, 2016 5:17 pm

haroun wrote: Hi
@RaduPalanga
you can use the notifier this user link when post replay
So if keep one i suggest to keep isa (ff as you like it) because he is so beautifll pied is so common and also starting with one pair is the best option .
But for me the ff is not one but he is phaeo :lookat at his cheek patches they extended the top of the head sign of black breast and he has some orange on his back a'd wings. Lucky guy are u =D>
@cindy can please confirm the id of that isa cok
It's hard for me to understand what you are saying. But it's alright.

So you call Isa the Florida Fancy-mutated finch (the orange one), right? Yes, he is beautiful. But it's common? I think you're trying to say it's NOT common, it's a rarity :D

Stuart whiting
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Stuart whiting » Fri Aug 12, 2016 5:47 pm

RaduPalanga hi mate, the other zebra you mention is a pied,

Realising where your location is you may not get many Florida fancies where you are and the bird in question is possibly a European Isabel, it's basically the same colouration but with a few minor differences :-BD

RaduPalanga
Nestling
Nestling

Post by RaduPalanga » Fri Aug 12, 2016 5:57 pm

Stuart whiting wrote: RaduPalanga hi mate, the other zebra you mention is a pied,

Realising where your location is you may not get many Florida fancies where you are and the bird in question is possibly a European Isabel, it's basically the same colouration but with a few minor differences :-BD
Ahh, okay. Had to look up what "pied" means... striped, mottled, speckled... Okay :D

European Isabel... So that's what haroun meant by "isa" :D

He's beautiful, isn't he? I like them both, but the Isabel (I'll stop calling it FF, lol) has something special to it. It looks like a female, though! Would be weird to see it paired with an actual hen (will go to the pet shop tomorrow, wish me luck that the store accepts an exchange), having gotten familiar with it as a female lol.

haroun
Incubating
Incubating

Post by haroun » Fri Aug 12, 2016 5:59 pm

RaduPalanga
Sorry for the misunderstood cuse lm using my phone
Anyway the notif are comoning ' u can use the mention this user option when u post a replay' not quick replay.
For common one i was talki'g about the pied one not about the isa.
Floridy fency is US version of the euro isa and had two mode of inherit Ff&fs
Im still thinking that ur isa is a phaeo it is a combo of isabelle and blackbreast
Can u pm cindy she can state on his ID
For FF see. http://efinch.com/species/ffzeb.htm
Very interting page where u can sse ff fs & a pbaeo sample

haroun
Incubating
Incubating

Post by haroun » Fri Aug 12, 2016 6:06 pm

Ok good luck and found him a good hen. At first rank one like him 'or isa or BlackBreast in second rank in tje rank a black face lol
Google the phaeo zebra and u can difference